Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Discussion » NASA CHAMPIONSHIP (Page 0)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: NASA CHAMPIONSHIP
Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tvance13:

NASA did a great job and kept everyone honest. Great to see the level of tech at this event (thanks to both Mike Collins and JJ our race director). A win in PTE made up for the ill handling car I had at the end of the SM race...

Congrats, how was the 01 car there? still down on power or better with 43 mm plate?
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Tvance13:

NASA did a great job and kept everyone honest. Great to see the level of tech at this event (thanks to both Mike Collins and JJ our race director). A win in PTE made up for the ill handling car I had at the end of the SM race...

Congrats, how was the 01 car there? still down on power or better with 43 mm plate?
Jim

I don't think Mr. Vance was lacking any power(in SM race)...evident in Dean's video!

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim - Thanks - Car was good, but no better than any other front running NB. Ask Collins, he saw the Dyno numbers. Like Lamb said, the key to the front straight is how you come off the last corner. Mckeever provided some valuable insight for those last two turns. He also proved (unfortunately for me) that you could get around my car and many others with a back up 1.6.

Good luck at the Run Offs, hope to see you out at a track in SoCal sometime soon.

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John

The tow from Orlando to Salt Lake City is 2350 miles and 37 hrs of driving. The tow from Orlando to Ohio is 949 miles and 13 hrs.

The tow from Los Angeles to Ohio is 2250 miles. The tow from LA to Salt lake is only 650 mies. That is why the NASA Championships have been more of a West Coast Championship.

The tow to Road America from Orlando is 1300 mies and 22 hours.

--------------------
Paul McLester

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hmmm, I think a more detailed review of my video will show that the exit speed at Release was not the primary cause for the difference in speed down the front straight. Its pretty easy to see the relative speed differences as we exit the turn, the relative speeds about mid way down the straight and then at the end of the straight. Doesn't bode well for the 1.6 against the 2001 on any sort of HP track. In the twisty parts, the 2001 was obviously struggling, though.

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have to agree with Dean here about the 2001 motor vs the 1.6L. Lots of examples on the main straight in Dean's video starting at time 14:00:

http://vimeo.com/15108713

The trailing car should always have the advantage in the draft if power is equal. With similar exits, time and time again, the 1.6L cannot even keep up in the draft of the #85 2001 engine.

Compare that video vs this video of the #72 1.6L vs. the #77 (99?) 1.8L:

http://vimeo.com/15071482

Look at pretty much all the main straight segments. The 1.6L can always suck up to the 1.8L by the end of the straight even in cases where the 1.8L gets a bit better exit. These two cars are much better matched along the main straight than the #85 vs the #72.

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The 85 car is available for purchase, so anyone looking for a power advantage should feel free to inquire [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just for clarification, the #77 car (Valafar) was driving a 1.8, not a 99.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

dkizerian Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Utah
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dkizerian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want to say thank you to everyone that made the haul to Utah for this great event! Thanks to Dave B. and the rest of the Nasa Staff for all of the work they put into this event. I want to give a HUGE thanks to JJ and Matt, our race directors.

Hats off to John the Evil Genius for his dyno session well into friday night with the Utah gang.

Glad we had so many of Group F make it to the BBQ thursday, much better turnout than in 2009.

Hopefully the NASA Championships find their way back to MMP in 2013!

Dave Kizerian
#98 white w/red ft bumper

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

Astro Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 87
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Astro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So who were the engine builders of the top 10 finsihers (and Valafar)? I am trying to decide who to build my motor this winter! [Smile]

--------------------
David Spencer
1990 Miata - #87 SM

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Valafar had an Autotechnik engine in his 1.8 as well as in the 99 he is driving at the Runoffs. Andrew Von C, Jeff Labounty (he owns Auto Techniks), Chip Van Vurst, and Alex Balonos are also using Auto Technik power at the runoffs.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought the Chipster and a lot of the SE guys run/ran Rossini? Good stuff Jamie, if true, sounds like Jeff has a great engine program going.

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch Reading:
I thought the Chipster and a lot of the SE guys run/ran Rossini? Good stuff Jamie, if true, sounds like Jeff has a great engine program going.

There were a few down here that used Rossini engines but now Danny S is the last one that I know of. Chip, myself, Cliffy Chains, Cliff Brown, the Swede, and the rest I mentioned earlier are running Jeff's engines. They have been real good! As a matter of fact the engine that has been in my car for the past year (which has been used a lot) is now sitting 4th on the grid at the runoffs and as soon as it comes back it will go back in my car for another year. I may be a little biased because Jeff is a friend but looking at the wins and top 5 in National and regional races I do not believe any engine builder can come close to his record; especially when you look at the races that had all of the major engines in it.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

dp35 Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dp35     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Astro:
So who were the engine builders of the top 10 finsihers (and Valafar)? I am trying to decide who to build my motor this winter! [Smile]

Dan McKeever won with a borrowed 1.6 engine built by Jeff Lyon of One Stop Race Shop, and the 1.6's in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all had Race Engineering lumps.

--------------------
2010 SCCA Regional Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E1 Class winner, MX-5 Cup

Evil Genius

Region: San francisco
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Evil Genius   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dp35:
quote:
Originally posted by Astro:

Dan McKeever won with a borrowed 1.6 engine built by Jeff Lyon of One Stop Race Shop, and the 1.6's in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all had Race Engineering lumps.
Yep a bunch of RE motors and Dan's One Stop Motor, I tuned the lot of them on the Dynapack that I rented up at Miller, they were close on power, even closer on torque and area under the torque curve.. About 2 hp covered the front 4 cars...

--------------------
John L Pagel
http://www.evilgeniusracing.com
john@evilgeniusracing.com

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
quote:

There were a few down here that used Rossini engines but now Danny S is the last one that I know of. Chip, myself, Cliffy Chains, Cliff Brown, the Swede, and the rest I mentioned earlier are running Jeff's engines. They have been real good! As a matter of fact the engine that has been in my car for the past year (which has been used a lot) is now sitting 4th on the grid at the runoffs and as soon as it comes back it will go back in my car for another year. I may be a little biased because Jeff is a friend but looking at the wins and top 5 in National and regional races I do not believe any engine builder can come close to his record; especially when you look at the races that had all of the major engines in it.
Mitch, I dont mean to hijack this thread, and Jamie I dont mean to show any disrespect to you or Jeff, but I have it on good authority that the engine that powered Chip to 4th at the Runoffs last week was in fact a Rossini, as was the engine in Bolanos's car.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
quote:
quote:

Mitch, I dont mean to hijack this thread, and Jamie I dont mean to show any disrespect to you or Jeff, but I have it on good authority that the engine that powered Chip to 4th at the Runoffs last week was in fact a Rossini, as was the engine in Bolanos's car.
Bolanos was running one of Chips other cars and it may have had a Rossini (Bolanos's own car has a Jeff engine) but Chip WAS NOT running a Rossini.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

mr von charbonneau

Region: 83
Car #: any
Year : any
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

real fact chips engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmk5TxrG_rk

Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dean's video is great for all to see. How are we on parity guys?

p.s. "God Save the Queen" from a French motor??

JMorris

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JMorris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mitch Reading:
[qb] Chip, myself, Cliffy Chains, Cliff Brown, the Swede, and the rest I mentioned earlier are running Jeff's engines. They have been real good! As a matter of fact the engine that has been in my car for the past year (which has been used a lot) is now sitting 4th on the grid at the runoffs and as soon as it comes back it will go back in my car for another year. I may be a little biased because Jeff is a friend but looking at the wins and top 5 in National and regional races I do not believe any engine builder can come close to his record; especially when you look at the races that had all of the major engines in it.

Both Jeff and Drago use Stewart heads, so do those wins count for Jeff or Stewart? [Wink]
J~

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a link to some pics from Miller weekend:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26774&id=128819680496459&ref=mf

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by JMorris:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mitch Reading:
[qb] Chip, myself, Cliffy Chains, Cliff Brown, the Swede, and the rest I mentioned earlier are running Jeff's engines. They have been real good! As a matter of fact the engine that has been in my car for the past year (which has been used a lot) is now sitting 4th on the grid at the runoffs and as soon as it comes back it will go back in my car for another year. I may be a little biased because Jeff is a friend but looking at the wins and top 5 in National and regional races I do not believe any engine builder can come close to his record; especially when you look at the races that had all of the major engines in it.

Both Jeff and Drago use Stewart heads, so do those wins count for Jeff or Stewart? [Wink]
J~

Sure Stewart gets some credit for building a great head. But Stewart is only part of the process! The rest is in the details and bottom end [Wink]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Charles J.

Region: Arizona
Car #: 8
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charles J.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a beef with NASA National not enforcing certain rules and would like to voice my frustration to the rest of the NASA SM racers. During test/tune session #4, Rick Sleeper allowed Todd Lamb to run his SM to lay down some hot laps on Traque-mate logger. In the process, Todd wasn't paying attention to my stopped miata on the course and without even attempting to avoid contact, ran straight into my car, totalling Ricks car and severly damaging mine. The most NASA National has done was permanently revoke Todd Lamb's participation with NASA and suspend Rick Sleeper for one year.

Rule 23.2 clearly identifies responsibility of the driver (both registered and non-registered) and to provide "restitution" to the damaged vehicle.

So Todd, and Rick. To date, you have made absolutely no attempt to discuss the incident on the track nor act responsibly as a gentleman to offer some sort of restitution. I sat for the next four days and watched everyone else race and now I'm without a race car.

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Charles
From what I heard, you spun and instead of locking the car down ( both feet in) you started to roll backwards. Todd started to head behind, then he realized you were stll rolling, so he went to the front, you then locked brakes and Todd had no where to go but into you. Very unfortunate for all involved.

First, if you don't spin on track and put yourself in a position of being a road hazzard this never happens? I wonder if Rick feels you owe him a car? That argument seems more plausible imo?

Second, this is racing. If you can't afford or are unwilling to push your car off a cliff, stay home because that is he cruel harsh reality of it.
I have done it two or three times myself( written off cars) and was sick each time, but never tried to collect from anyone or sue.

If this were the norm, there are several people who owe me some pretty big checks and I owe a few some checks as well, I'm sure. I had a 16,000 mile 99 that I started with this season with, not a ding or even a scratch on it. Two other drivers who were not even close to me made a mistake, crashed into each other, one shot through the corner as I was in it and destroyed my car. I never asked for or was offered a dime. Was I mad? sure I was, but it happens and I was only mad for the next 20-30 minutes, not months later. It simply doesnt work that way.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And let's be clear about what rule #23.2 refers to before anyone decides NOT to race with NASA because they think there's an on-track restitution rule. There is not. Rule 23.2 CLEARLY identifies responsibility of the driver for crew to damaged property OF THE TRACK (it happens to include vehicles). So, when your drunk cousin that you brought along as crew drives your golf cart into the side of the track's safety vehicle in the paddock, yes, the registered DRIVER is responsible. This in no way refers to on-track incidents. I've copied the full text of 23.2 below.

23.2 Conduct of Guests and Crew
Drivers shall, at all times, be responsible for the conduct and behavior of those
accompanying them to an event such as crew, mechanics, and friends. Any offense
committed by the driver’s crew, mechanics, or friends will be directly chargeable to the
driver. Damage to the racetrack, its surface, fencing, paddock, walls, buildings, trailers,
equipment, vehicles, etc., by the driver (including his/her friends, crew, and sponsors) is
the responsibility of the driver, and said driver agrees herein to make restitution. This
agreement is binding when a driver signs the entry form or enters online.

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Charles, did you talk to them at the track? I have always sought out anybody I have contact with afterwards. I don't want any ill feelings when I leave the track. Have you made attempts to contact them? It seems that based on the penalties assessed by NASA, there was an investigation by NASA. Either way, how do you have a beef with NASA?

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

tLinder

Region: SW
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Originally posted by Drago:
"If you can't afford or are unwilling to push your car off a cliff, stay home because that is the cruel, harsh reality of it"

+1

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, first off Charles, I would say that a ban and suspension is a pretty big deal.

And I would have to agree with Drago... Todd's a pretty experienced racer. I doubt he would just run into you without taking any measures to avoid you. In the end, you share just as much responsibility as he does for the accident, in my view. YOU are the one that put yourself in the position to get hit.

Happens all the time and it sucks for you and for the other person.

I do find your interpretation of 23.2 to be interesting to say the least. My reading of the nasa rules shows no restitution "rule".

These things are generally a wash because people understand that RARELY is all the blame on one party and even then it's difficult to prove. Therefore the accepted way of handling this is everyone pays for their own stuff. I have offered and been offered restitution but I've never been taken up on it or accepted it myself. It's just not really done unless the fault is easily proven and it's pretty egregious. This is not one of those situations. You were stopped on the racing surface (as I understand it) and unfortunately, you get what you get.

I am sorry it happened. Situations like this suck for everyone involved but they are a part of racing and something you have to deal with from time to time. I would say though, that coming here after the fact and trying to stir up shit is not the way to handle it. I don't suspect you'll get much sympathy here.

Good luck on repairing your car.

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

23.2 needs some rewording to make it crystal clear. If it was the other way, I'd be running from NASA as fast as my feet could carry me! Fortunately that's not the case.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Charles J.:
I have a beef with NASA National not enforcing certain rules and would like to voice my frustration to the rest of the NASA SM racers.

Rule 23.2 clearly identifies responsibility of the driver (both registered and non-registered) and to provide "restitution" to the damaged vehicle.

So Todd, and Rick. To date, you have made absolutely no attempt to discuss the incident on the track nor act responsibly as a gentleman to offer some sort of restitution. I sat for the next four days and watched everyone else race and now I'm without a race car.

Charles;
As many have said better than I, CCR #23.2 is not related to on-track incidents and does not supersede the hold-harmless you sign when agreeing to attend the event. However, nothing says that you can't ask for some sort of restitution... However, that would be between you and the other participants but is not mandated by any NASA rules or mediated by NASA.

I am not an official with NASA, just a volunteer and an racer just like you who last year was in an accident that was costly for me, so I get where you are coming from... I spoke with a lawyer and learned noting was OWED to me you by anyone.

Sorry it happened, but at least you're okay & it's just your car and wallet that took the hit.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Shawn@sampsonracing.com Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA/SoCal
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shawn@sampsonracing.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Plus +1 for Jason Holland comments-

--------------------
Shawn Sampson/Sampson Racing Communications
Offical NASA Racing Communication Company
NASA SM/PTE/E3
2005- 1st Place EO 25 Hour Enduro NASA 86' Mazda Rx7 (RIP)
http://www.SampsonRacing.com
http://www.SRCProducts.com
Toll Free -866-396-7231

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Charles J.:
The most NASA National has done was permanently revoke Todd Lamb's participation with NASA and suspend Rick Sleeper for one year.

Without seeing what actually happened, my knee-jerk reaction is that a permanent ban of the driver that hit you and suspending the car owner for a year seem pretty harsh for something that sounds like an accident. Avoidable? Perhaps. But I've heard of a lot worse incidents (i.e. intentionally hitting someone, doing donuts in the paddock to protest a stewards decision, etc.) that didn't result in penalties as harsh as those imposed on Todd and Rick in your incident.

So what else do you want from NASA?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

1. The suspensions had NOTHING to do with the incident.

2. Charles spun and was rolling backwards across the track. He took away both escape routes by not locking down the car (i.e. unpredictable).

3. Charles has been subsequently banned from NASA for threatening legal action.

4. When I asked him at the track what happened, Charles walked away without saying a word.

You do the math....

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Math done. the answer is 0.

Unfortunate that it happened. "When you spin, two feet in" - better to require new tires than a whole new race car.... The best you can do is become predictable so maybe a talented driver like Todd will easily avoid you.

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
So Todd, and Rick. To date, you have made absolutely no attempt to discuss the incident on the track nor act responsibly as a gentleman to offer some sort of restitution. I sat for the next four days and watched everyone else race and now I'm without a race car.[/QB]
quote:
4. When I asked him at the track what happened, Charles walked away without saying a word.[/QB]
No one is going to back Charles in this incident...nor should they. But as Todd L acknowledged above the ban was not for the on track incident. Is it a secret what it was for? Is it because it's against the rules to drive in a class your not registered in...or car? If Todd L should never have been on track then I can see where Charles may be coming from. Hope someone can enlighten us.

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

tahoe z Verified Driver
2007 NASA 25hr Champion E2 / 2008 NASA 25 HR E2 2ND place

Region: san francisco
Car #: SFR # 62 1.6/ SMT / 1.8 /# 62 ITA
Year : 89smt / 94 ita
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tahoe z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

bottkm line /car goes on track /car may not go home!that bis racing and spinning puts u in that position.we have all been hit and all have spun and been hit ,its called racing charles just accept it

--------------------
kim willcox

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FYI - NASA does permit registering as a team, and any registered team member with credentials can be on track.

Why in the world would I want to push my car off a cliff?

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
FYI - NASA does permit registering as a team, and any registered team member with credentials can be on track.

Why in the world would I want to push my car off a cliff?

I was about to say your pretty normal so you wouldn't, then I remembered who I was talking to [Big Grin] I feel like that about once a quarter, twice a year I would leave driver in the car! [burst] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Exactly - someone else's car - yes. My car - no way.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:

This is not directed specifically at Charles, but at all drivers. Racing is so damn expesnive - lets please leave the lawsuits far from the track.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

dkizerian Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Utah
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dkizerian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:

This is not directed specifically at Charles, but at all drivers. Racing is so damn expesnive - lets please leave the lawsuits far from the track.
+1

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

Jason Meise Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: Lone Star / Washington DC
Car #: 54
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Meise     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most of the time I really miss racing with you guys. It's times like this that I wonder if I want to come back. The lack of common sense of amongst a few that makes the paddock very tense for no reason. Loosing a car is a very emotionally and financially painful thing. It is a part of racing though. I remember in drivers school an instructor said "It's not if you're going to wreck it's when you're going to” Be prepared!!!!

--------------------
Jason Meise
2001 MARRS Champion
http://www.ctbrakes.com
President: Bobby Carter's "washed up race car driver club"
we're always looking for "old" members

When I got my SCCA license, first thing the instructor said, If you are not prepared to take a match to your car and set it on fire, you are in the wrong sport!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
When I got my SCCA license, first thing the instructor said, If you are not prepared to take a match to your car and set it on fire, you are in the wrong sport! [/QUOTE

I think everyone should understand your car is at risk everytime it enters the track.

Highjack begins,

I worry about the students attitudes as they hit the track when the get comments from the instructors like don't do this if you can't afford another car. Instead they should be teaching that its unacceptable to be involved in these accidents. Many of the car totalling crashes posted lately were probably avoidable if spinning driver put two feet in.

Just because you have the money to buy a fleet of spec miatas doesn't mean you should drive over your head and cause damage to others.

FWIW in my SCCA drivers school, car control and safety were emphasized by the instructors. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Michael Ross

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^ +1

If anyone reading this doesn't understand what both feet in means and why it's so important, please PM one of us or better yet, ask here on the forum. It is one of the things we always try to emphasize in our Schools.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Being willing and ready to fix your car and doing everything you can to avoid that situation are not mutually exclusive. Safety and sanity don't always prevent carnage. If you want to be 100% sure you never have a crash that doesn't cost you money..... try video games.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I learned a good lesson when renting my first year in racing. The owner said it wouldn't cost that much to re-tub a car, so unless I burnt it to the ground, I wouldn't have to pay for the whole thing. I learned that lesson last year when I had to ditch my first car after 7 years. It wansn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. But I was prepared and just happened to have a donor sitting in the garage when it happened [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

jj15ball

Car #: 15
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Need to qualify 2 feet in though. 2 feet in for the guy spinning, brake and avoid for the guys behind him. I'm rebuilding my car cuz I spun and a guy behind me put 2 feet in and slid right into me. He could have avoided me easily had he braked and ducked back into line. Instead, he jammed the brakes and hit me behind the drivers door while I was facing the apex of the turn on track. I was way off the racing line, but because his wheels were locked up, his tangential velocity caused him to come straight at me. Which is why he hit me in the rear quarter instead of the front quarter. Point is, there is not enough emphasis on collision avoidance techniques. I was upset, but not at the other driver. We discussed the accident, NASA forces you to fill out a body contact form. There was no talk of restitution because we both understood the risks in taking our cars on track.

--------------------
Jason Ball

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jj15ball:
Need to qualify 2 feet in though. 2 feet in for the guy spinning, brake and avoid for the guys behind him. I'm rebuilding my car cuz I spun and a guy behind me put 2 feet in and slid right into me. He could have avoided me easily had he braked and ducked back into line. Instead, he jammed the brakes and hit me behind the drivers door while I was facing the apex of the turn on track. I was way off the racing line, but because his wheels were locked up, his tangential velocity caused him to come straight at me. Which is why he hit me in the rear quarter instead of the front quarter. Point is, there is not enough emphasis on collision avoidance techniques. I was upset, but not at the other driver. We discussed the accident, NASA forces you to fill out a body contact form. There was no talk of restitution because we both understood the risks in taking our cars on track.

Sounds like target fixation. Where you look.. you go.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA