Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Discussion » Food for thought

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Food for thought
Funracer Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Funracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am an SCCA member new to road racing this past year.

Interesting reading through every post in these two Runoffs SM threads:

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/4922.html

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/4925.html

Then reading every post in this post NASA Championships SM thread:

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/15/179.html

My impressions after all that reading:

Every car that started the NASA race finished it (not so at the Runoffs), NASA race finished under green flag (not so at the Runoffs), NASA tech shed had some bite (not so at the Runoffs) and even the mid-packers seem to have had alot of fun at the SM Championship (not so at the Runoffs).

Maybe SM Runoffs just had a bad year? Hope so.

Regards

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NASA officials made it clear at the very first SM drivers meeting at the Miller Championship, that car to car contact (apart from bump-drafting) will not be tolerated and will result in penalty.

Furthermore, there were mandatory drivers meeting after EACH on-track session (meaning practice, qual and qual race, 3 times a day) to deal with any "issues".

Maybe we were lucky, maybe the West Coast was just mellow or maybe those meetings did help to keep aggression in check... whatever it was, we had green flag racing all the way, all 3 days.

At the very end, like you said, all 40 cars that started also finished the race. And there were very, very few dented panels.

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

But a few cars just a little shorter nose to tale [Wink]

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Having competed in three NASA nationals, I agree with other assessments made here about the effort that was put forth to "tramatize" competitors about unessary roughness. They made it abundantly clear that unessary roughness in the qual sessions would lead to disqualification from the big show.

While I find some aspects of NASA operating practices unpleasant, the fact is, they effectively enforce contact (versus SCCA's approach that requires the injured party to throw paper). It is clearly a superior approach to lessenning carnage.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

how quickly we forget the NASA SM carnage at Mid Ohio in 2007 on the backstretch....

Or this:
(see 4:00 mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IG_IR34pbg

You'll see some Runoffs regulars in that video BTW.

maybe NASA just had a good year and SCCA just had a bad year? [Wink]

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It would have been wise given the size of the SM field and some of the recent history at RA for a Steward to have held a driver's meeting early in the week to lay down the law on a few things.

It's easier for the workers to do very little and let the competitors have all the headaches than it is for them to try and police all of the on-track and tech issues.

After all, they are volunteers and they are there to enjoy themselves too.

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Overheard on the race control frequency near the end of the race...something like this...

"Tower to all stations and wreckers: throw the checker and clean this shit up so we can take a lunch break"

Can you blame them?

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or this from 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIlziy0LP9Q

We all had to wear our helmets in the driver's meeting. The theory that doing so would reduce carnage was not supported by data.

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Love your radio communication at the end Denny.

"I don't think I'll do this next year. This is crazy shit!"

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's my impression that NASA is more concerned with policing on-track behavior than SCCA (at least in my neck of the woods). But it should be noted that Miller Motorsports Park is, on average, a wider track than Road America. More room to race = less incidents.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sager:
It's easier for the workers to do very little and let the competitors have all the headaches than it is for them to try and police all of the on-track and tech issues.

After all, they are volunteers and they are there to enjoy themselves too.

I really hope this isn't the attitude of SCCA officials. If they just want to enjoy themselves, come out and watch. If they take a job, regardless of it's on a volunteer basis, they should treat it like a job and take it seriously. Otherwise why even bother?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe it's a left-coast thing with everyone immersed with a hippie vibe man. Just chillin' and enjoyin' the sun, man... Hey man, no need to drive so fast man, the waves and grass will be here in the morning, man.

-

Sorry, just couldn't get Tommy Chong out of my mind this morning... Just ask my Old Lady, man.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

dkizerian Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Utah
Car #: 98
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dkizerian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
But it should be noted that Miller Motorsports Park is, on average, a wider track than Road America. More room to race = less incidents.

This is VERY true, MMP is like a 4 lane freeway with LOTS of runoff room should you get into the dirt.

--------------------
Dave Kizerian
Utah Region SCCA
Road Race Director

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dkizerian:
quote:
But it should be noted that Miller Motorsports Park is, on average, a wider track than Road America. More room to race = less incidents.

This is VERY true, MMP is like a 4 lane freeway with LOTS of runoff room should you get into the dirt.
Dirt a big plus no wet grass like RA. Go off at Miller chances of ending up back on track not very likely.

Dennis

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dkizerian:
quote:

I went so far off at the exit of T4 one time that I saw the Luxor, MGM Grand, Caesars Palace and the Bellagio... You can go a Loong ways!

-

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-

DDG and Gorilla on the way home from Runoffs?

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:
how quickly we forget the NASA SM carnage at Mid Ohio in 2007

or 2008

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom

I was on the race control net during and after the race and did not hear that transmission....although they do know that our races at all tracks take longer to cleanup for the next race which is why ours was probably put right before lunch. Also all of the corner workers are required to stay at their corner and lunch is delivered.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: