Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Mid Western Council » MWC Discussion » 1st event of the year - Autobahn North Course

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 1st event of the year - Autobahn North Course
DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 14 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who's planning on making it. Some of these are from myautoevents.com.

T Scheifler (? Looking for a rental)
S Scheifler (if the car is done)
Cox (as of right now the car should be done)
Emerick
Cigoy
Roper
Bruskin
Domont (?)
Roberts

Any one else?

[ 04-02-2006, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: DaveC ]

--------------------
Dave Cox

Steve Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: STL
Car #: 82
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Correction: If the car is re-done. Pre-season activites have been rough on it. I'm hoping the Council will cut me some slack on "ugly" for this event, and let my car slide as well. [Smile]

Tom #63

Region: Cen-Div
Car #: #63
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom #63     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I plan on running in SM and ITA. See you there.

Tom
90 SM #63

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome Tom. Have we raced with you in MCSCC in the past?

My car won't make it. [Frown] I had to pull the engine as well as straighten the body and don't have time to finish everything in time. I may rent something so I don't miss another chance to learn the track.

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will be there but sans racecar. I will do my best impression of a dedicated MC worker for the weekend.

I will have my usually assortment of spare parts with me.

Call ahead if you have specific needs

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Veteran Member

Dave, does that mean you don't have a rental available next weekend?

Tom #63

Region: Cen-Div
Car #: #63
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom #63     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Steve:

Took MC driving school and raced in 7 SM/ITA races last year including the Looooong race. Did my worker day and received my license prior to last 3 races.

Hope to run more this year pending family obligations which take priority.

Hope to see you on the track Sunday.

Tom SM #63

Veteran Member

SM turnout was a little light with about 16 cars but lots in other classes to make for a crowded track. Tom qualified up front for SM and ITA and led both from flag to flag, setting a Council track record in SM. Way to go Tom, the points lead in two classes! I managed to come up with a last minute rental, but with an open diff and a blown LR shock (and a loose nut behind the wheel) the best I could do was 3rd in both races. Iím sorry to say that Iíve forgotten the name of the 2nd place finisher in SM but he did a good job of hanging in there until my overworking of the front tires got me in trouble and he took advantage of it. Congrats to him.

I think I prefer the Autobahn South course, but the North has some interesting challenges and decisions to make about sacrificing one corner for another. Overall a nice place to race, but they really need to provide a proper impound area and allocate more space in the hot pits for checking temps, pressures etc.

Tom Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: MIDIV-STL
Car #: 28
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

James O'Hare took 2'nd away from Steve in the SM race. Good job James [thumbsup]

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

jimbob Verified Driver

Region: Midwestern Council
Car #: 54
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jimbob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The brothers hooked up at the start and walked away. There was no way I was catching you guys without a little help. So thank you Steve. You were a generous sort giving me the spot. I still need more details on the Magical 3 turns that make a blown shock come back in. [scratchchin] [rolling on floor laughin]
The sacrificing a corner comment is very true. Every one seemed to have a different opinion on turn 2. I tried throwing it away and then tried it clean. I never realy did figure the way through there to keep rhythm through 5.
I am looking forward to see how the south course is.
Hope to see you all in Milwaukee.
[Edited for spelling]

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by jimbob:
... I still need more details on the Magical 3 turns that make a blown shock come back in. [scratchchin] [rolling on floor laughin] ...

Just before the race Dave was moving the rear bar to full soft for better open-dif traction out of the turns and discovered that the shock had peed all over itself and the wheel well. Since the car was lower than we run we cranked the rears up to get a little extra travel and some rake, also reducing camber which may have helped as much as it hurt. Better out of corners but the fronts worked harder and started going away mid race. When Tom got slowed a bit by traffic I closed the gap and thought I might have a shot, but lacking the "smooth" gene I just made things worse and attracted too much attention, resulting in a brief discussion in pit lane. [Embarrassed] Sometimes I forget that the Council is a little more strict about wheels off and such, but I donítí have a problem with that.

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Every one seemed to have a different opinion on turn 2. I tried throwing it away and then tried it clean. I never realy did figure the way through there to keep rhythm through 5.

Turn 2 is a [censored] of a turn. If you max out your speed in turn 1 then you probably cannot get setup for the best turn 2. The turn 1,2 combo will be the focus of my analysis and practice the next time we do the North course.

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think I learned a lot by watching Tom the last 4 or 5 laps of the race (turn 6 is much faster than I thought). I think Pete was afraid if he let Tom by I was going to go with so he held him up for a while, but it gave me a chance to understand the course better.

Hopefully next time I go to the North course I won't be breaking in a motor and I will have a better idea of the track (before I got there I didn't know that 3 was a right hander). It was very humbling starting that far back, but I was happy to get to mid pack by the end of the race.

--------------------
Dave Cox

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by DaveC:
I think I learned a lot by watching Tom the last 4 or 5 laps of the race (turn 6 is much faster than I thought). I think Pete was afraid if he let Tom by I was going to go with so he held him up for a while, but it gave me a chance to understand the course better.

Hopefully next time I go to the North course I won't be breaking in a motor and I will have a better idea of the track (before I got there I didn't know that 3 was a right hander). It was very humbling starting that far back, but I was happy to get to mid pack by the end of the race.

Sorry we did not have time to chat on Sunday. We had our hands full with two cars running both ITA and SM. Thanks to Dave Jones again for all his help with the cars. [thumbsup]

Turn 6 is definitely a turn that separates the newbs from the experienced. I had lots of trouble with it last year during my first event on the North course. A laaaate apex [yep]

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Shows I still can't get it right [blush] ... I meant 5 is much faster than I had originally thought.

Yea, I looked over a few times and you guys seemed to have too much going on for me to stop by...

--------------------
Dave Cox

Veteran Member

Ah, turn 5. Yep. It is a no-brake turn and probably a no-lift turn if the car has the right setup. Hell, I had problems with all of them last year. Less so this year. Seat time, seat time, seat time. [cheerful]

--------------------

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by DaveC:
...Yea, I looked over a few times and you guys seemed to have too much going on for me to stop by...

Stop by anyway next time if you want to talk about the track. Dave always supplies us with a giant aerial photo or track map to hang in the trailer and compare notes on various corners.

Veteran Member

Yeah, Steve only sounds like a rabid dog sometimes but he hardly ever bites [Wink]

It will be our first time at Milwaukee next month so anyone that wants to stop by and chat is very welcome (we could use the help). [Big Grin]

--------------------

I actually have some time there. I didn't say I was fast [Roll Eyes] (I think the car setup was off and the motor was too), but I did run there last year.

Jim was flying pretty good around there last year. Any suggestions Jim? [Smile]

--------------------
Dave Cox

jimbob Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jimbob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

seems like MKE is set up for 1 and get screwed on the other. Alex was dialed on the oval and I was set for the infield. That made the race for us in ITA. I never got comfortable on the oval but again I was throwing away #1. (habit???) Ok it's a roval but it was so fun last year and I am excited to see MC running other places than blackhawk.

Jason S

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason S     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone have video of Milwaukee they would like to share? I've never been there and it's only my fourth race...getting nervous about the roval.
thanks

jimbob Verified Driver

Jason,
I woulden't sweat it to much. The track comes to you prety quick and the walls are less intimidating once you get into the car. I am doing a pc repair but I think I have somthing from last year. I might have somthing in the next week or so. Dave C. might have some from the test day as well. Come to the tire wall day if you want to get a look at it prior to the race. We will run the street cars on it after the work day is over.

Jason S

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason S     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Jason,
I woulden't sweat it to much. The track comes to you prety quick and the walls are less intimidating once you get into the car. I am doing a pc repair but I think I have somthing from last year. I might have somthing in the next week or so. Dave C. might have some from the test day as well. Come to the tire wall day if you want to get a look at it prior to the race. We will run the street cars on it after the work day is over.

I seem to be struggling in long sweeping corners, anything will help...thank you

I can't find the DVD, but I did find the raw footage this morning. I wil see if I can get it ripped to DVD/AVI this weekend. It was my first weekend with the camera and I didn't have the wide angle lens so it isn't the best, but certainly good enough to get the point.

Jim is right though. The track isn't that compicated and I think everyone goes into the oval turn too slow to begin with and creeps up on it. I know I went over the line once and it took some time to get the nerve back up to go fast through there again, but I am looking forward to it with the new motor/setup.

Tire wall day or the test day or even the Time Attack might a good way to get an idea of the course before the race.

--------------------
Dave Cox

I uploaded the wmv file this afternoon to SpecMiataVideos.com check the incoming page if it's not on the main yet.

This was from the test day last year. It was cold and cloudy and it was my first time with the camera (and without the wide angle) so the lighting isn't the best, but it should show the way.

--------------------
Dave Cox

jimbob Verified Driver

Thanks Dave,
I have the PC still up on blocks and can't get the video.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: