Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Mid Western Council » MWC Discussion » Memorial Day event

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Memorial Day event
DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How did it go? One of these days I will be back to run with you guys.

--------------------
Dave Cox

Steve Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: STL
Car #: 82
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Other than the fact that it was 90+ in May? I expect that in Memphis, but not southern Wisconsin! But at least the only rain was the night before, so I’ll take it. Lap times were off for everyone this weekend compared to the Looong race last fall. Besides the heat, apparently a few people oiled down the track during testing on Friday, and an old BMW did it again in the first lap of the first session on Sunday.

We had a good turnout with 20+ in SM and many of those running ITA as well. (My car is still sidelined so there was one less than there should have been.) ITA went first with Mike Backus and Tom (Scheifler) qualifying 1-2 respectively. SM was in group five and qualifying for it was reversed with Tom edging out Mike for top spot. About ten minutes into the ITA race Tom went wide in T1 and lost a couple positions, then battled back for a solid second behind Mike while James O’hare picked up third. The SM race was clean with no major mistakes up front. Tom went flag-to-flag with Mike keeping the pressure on but never quite close enough to make a move.

Congratulations to Tom and Mike for their wins and all the rest for a couple of good clean races.

Dave, you really should get the Council back in your schedule. How about Milwaukee in a couple weeks?

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Our lap times were very close. In the first race I got about 1/2 second lead, and then it just stayed there until Tom's off.

In the second race, Tom was getting me by about a 10th a lap I suspect. I closed up once or twice, but then couldn't catch a traffic break and the tires started to go away. I overdrove the car a little, but even if I could have caught him, I don't think I could have passed him.

Times were way off from the heat. Middle 25s and 26s. No power, no grip.

Tom and I got matching radio channels, and regardless of how many times I told him not to blow turn 7, he didn't. We gave each other head's ups for yellows, and his call out for the slow car in 2 saved me some body work. There was a slow spec racer or prod car right in the middle of track out, and I would have drilled him as I was coming around a backmarker.

I'll be back for the regional next weekend Saturday.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was planning on running the next Milwaukee race, but I am going to be out of town for work and Father's Day now.

It looks like Road America will be my next MC event. Now that feel the car is sorted much better than years past I may be able to see yours and Mike bumper off in the distance.

--------------------
Dave Cox

Tom Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: MIDIV-STL
Car #: 28
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First, big thanks to Steve for countless hours of setup time before and during the event. Unlike last year, the tires did not fade in the second half of the race. Some improvement in my driving but most likely the real improvement was due to the setup.

Second, thanks to Mike for two fun clean races. Getting your callouts of yellows in the first race gave me a shot at reeling you back in but you're just too #@&% good in traffic.

To my surprise, I experienced some brake fade for the first time at BFR (first time running the Carbotechs there). Almost cost me and another driver our cars in turn 1.

Looking forward to a rematch and that should include Steve to make it even more interesting [Cool]

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Steve Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: STL
Car #: 82
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Scheifler:
First, big thanks to Steve for countless hours of setup time before and during the event. Unlike last year, the tires did not fade in the second half of the race. Some improvement in my driving but most likely the real improvement was due to the setup.

You mean other than the "dynamic toe adjustment" on the right rear? [Embarrassed] I watched the video, the difference was the driving. Smoother and much better in traffic. How is it that you got the smooth gene I didn't?

Tom Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: MIDIV-STL
Car #: 28
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought the DTA (dynamic toe adjustment) was a new speed secret. [Eek!]

Now everyone will do it. [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i was there for the school to crew for my dad. great event...hotter than .... whew... too hot [Smile]

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: