Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Mid Western Council » MWC Discussion » June 10 Autobahn

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: June 10 Autobahn
Dave J Verified Driver

Region: St. Louis
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave J     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What a great weekend, and what great racing. Culminating with an amazing SM race, lead swaps, multiple cars within hundreths of each other, and everybody coming away with something. Mike Backus won both ITA and SM. Great job Mike. Tom Scheifler took the SM lap record. Our buddy Jim Stevens proved he is as fast as anyone in a SM, taking the pole and running right up front the whole race. And a number of others (sorry, I don't remember the names) mixing in the race for first. At least 6 cars could have won. Traffic played some role, but Mike was up to the challenge this weekend. Glad I didn't miss this one!

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had better. Nothing like DFL to make your weekend. Basically if it could have gone wrong this weekend it almost had to...right down to the sheet metal screw through the center of my tread.

Oh and sorry for being the brightly coloured traffic. I'm not used to getting passed by 15-20 cars at a crack [Frown]

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Checkout this near-miss from Saturday's auto X.

http://btdtracing.com/gallery/v/Events/2007/missionfromgod/

--------------------

Tom Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: MIDIV-STL
Car #: 28
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Mike Backus. Five cars running in the lead group at the finish. Best SM race in Midwestern Council that I can recall during the last 2-3 years (even if I did finish only 4th).

My position changes were 2,1,3,2,3,5,4. What a blast.

If you have not run with Council you should bring your "other-sanctioning-body" license with you and try out an event (http://www.mcscc.org/events.htm ). I'm confident you will like what you find. SM class usually has as many or more entrants than SCCA events in the region.

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Steve Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: STL
Car #: 82
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice job Mike! Likewise Tom, who hadn't raced in eight months and needed the first few sessions shake off the rust, then went on to lead for awhile and set fast lap (seems to be a trend developing in our team) and a new track record, driving his car with the new crate engine. Another thumbs up to Jim Stevens for taking second in a borrowed car with nothing special but the driver.

Watching from the sidelines, and the video on the way home, it really was the best MC race in a long time. Fast laps by Tom, Jim and Mike were separated by .05 seconds. How often do you see that?

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lots of fun. Great door handle to door handle racing. Condolences to Tom. I think most of the positions he lost were to missed shifts. Gotta knock off the rust.

I've had two great races this year. This one, and the BFR national.

I'd be worried about Stevens. He was in a borrowed car and had a qualifying lap 1/2 second faster than the rest of us.

Mike

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

I flushed my weekend for a $.05 zip tie:

-

I know this was the cause of my missing, but would it also cause complete power failures in turns?

--------------------

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep. Three missed shifts (2nd to 3rd) were the direct cause each time I lost position(s). Don't know if it was my being rusty or if there might be a mechanical issue. I'd like to think it was not all driver error. I mean, one missed shift is not surprising, two is maybe understandable but three is just plain dopey. [boggled] All three were with the car leaned over coming out of right-hand turns.

Speaking of new faces to worry about. Keith Kofoed was in the mix and he was running with an open diff. [Eek!]

--------------------

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Scheifler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Scheifler:
Yep. Three missed shifts (2nd to 3rd) were the direct cause each time I lost position(s). Don't know if it was my being rusty or if there might be a mechanical issue. ...

It was painful for me to watch the video knowing that a fresh tranny for the car was sitting at the shop. Sorry Bro. [Frown]

Veteran Member

You slacker! What am I paying you for?!? Oh, that's right, I'm not. [cheerful]

And next time, I expect the setup to be perfect from the start. We had to make one corner weight adjustment and one toe adjustment at the track. If you can't get it right before you put it on the trailer then I may have to let you go. [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------

James Stevens

Region: BHV
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for James Stevens     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great Weekend!

Congrats to Mike on his wins and Tom on his track record.

A huge thanks to Tom for showing me the line, Steve and Dave for getting me back on track, loaning me tires, setting me up with the right tire pressures, etc., etc., etc. There is no way I would have had that much fun without their help [thumbsup]

Can't wait to go again!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

And next time, I expect the setup to be perfect from the start. We had to make one corner weight adjustment and one toe adjustment at the track. If you can't get it right before you put it on the trailer then I may have to let you go. [rolling on floor laughin]

What are these things called "adjustments" of which you speak? [scratchchin]

Do you have the results. I'm still waiting for mylaps.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by backusm:
quote:

What are these things called "adjustments" of which you speak? [scratchchin]

Do you have the results. I'm still waiting for mylaps.

No results, I'm waiting for mylaps too.

Those "adjustment" things you're asking about? You're probably not interested. They just allow me to take home a track record (even when I don't take home the checker) [Razz]

--------------------

Loudes13 Verified Driver

Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Loudes13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

bow to king Mike!

what kind of lap times??

--------------------
http://www.allenskillicorn.com

Veteran Member

As I recall, 1:15.01x in the race.

James Stevens

Region: BHV
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for James Stevens     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From memory:

Tom: 1:15.149 (Track Record)
Jim: 1:15.165
Mike: 1:15.193

Veteran Member

Jim's memory is MUCH better than mine!

Slow and steady wins the race

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Veteran Member

Well, you've got half of that nailed. [duck]

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by James Stevens:
From memory:

Tom: 1:15.149 (Track Record)
Jim: 1:15.165
Mike: 1:15.193

FWIW, the current SCCA CenDiv record is held by Jason Saini at 1:15.418.

Tom #63

Region: Cen-Div
Car #: #63
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom #63     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone able to find race results on-line for the June 10th races at Autobahn? I was not running up front but the with a 2nd group of closely matched up cars/drivers. It was a blast and I am curious about out lap times and finishing positions.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: