Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Mid Western Council » MWC Discussion » BFR July 20?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: BFR July 20?
DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any news on the school and the race on Sunday?

--------------------
Dave Cox

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cromas won ITA, I ran second.

I won SM

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I actually drove in 2nd place for a little bit till i made mistake after mistake.

The heat got to me. I admit it. I was way out of it.

I stole 2nd from Chad on the start, and it was dirty, but he got me back fairly quick and of course he deserved it.

Ray and Martin beat on each other for a few laps to take 3rd away from me, ray and I traded places a few times before I finally lost my ass after that joke of a repave at 3a. I had a nasty, slow line through 3a which threw my concentration. I tried and carry a little too much through 4, bumped the outberm and spun the car to the infield. Ray, Martin and Dad got past me before the car even stopped spinning. I put the car back on track and bit in hard to try and catch the pack but I only got within about a 1/4 mile of dad for the rest of the session. I fended off Van Buren as best as possible, again, some admittedly impolite maneuvers but I digress. I finished a sad 6th. The heat was my biggest opponent of the day. Ray just read very well how to exploit it.

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Was the track breaking up anywhere else? I know last weekend some of our FF's were having a hard time holding onto the wheel through 3A, but they said 7 is starting to show signs of the same issue.

I know Paul and Tom were concerned, and I am sure they are trying to come up with something that will help.

--------------------
Dave Cox

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Thompson:
I actually drove in 2nd place for a little bit till i made mistake after mistake.

I stole 2nd from Chad on the start, and it was dirty, but he got me back fairly quick and of course he deserved it.

Ray and Martin beat on each other for a few laps to take 3rd away from me, ray and I traded places a few times before I finally lost my ass after that joke of a repave at 3a. I had a nasty, slow line through 3a which threw my concentration. I tried and carry a little too much through 4, bumped the outberm and spun the car to the infield. Ray, Martin and Dad got past me before the car even stopped spinning. I put the car back on track and bit in hard to try and catch the pack but I only got within about a 1/4 mile of dad for the rest of the session. I fended off Van Buren as best as possible, again, some admittedly impolite maneuvers but I digress. I finished a sad 6th. The heat was my biggest opponent of the day. Ray just read very well how to exploit it.

Musta been the curse I put in your head Saturday night. " I will just sit behind you tight and wait for your mistake" hehehe [laughing]

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by DaveC:
Was the track breaking up anywhere else? I know last weekend some of our FF's were having a hard time holding onto the wheel through 3A, but they said 7 is starting to show signs of the same issue.

I know Paul and Tom were concerned, and I am sure they are trying to come up with something that will help.

Let me correct, it wasn't martin as I was told by one of the advanced guys, it was Jason Stiplosek according to the results.

3a was the worst of it. 7 is dodgy, just have to aim the car, 1 isn't great either, but theyve got the holes filled with sand so i guess that's better?

the out at 6 is getting pretty awful too.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by willy_1959:
quote:

Musta been the curse I put in your head Saturday night. " I will just sit behind you tight and wait for your mistake" hehehe [laughing]
it definetely would have been a lot easier to just run 1'30"s all day then try and consistently pull off 1'25s-26s.

--------------------

old65 Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 6
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's called Road Racing so we run in the dry, in the wet and sometimes, unintentionally, in the dirt.
It seems to me that if the tracks black top is breaking up it just adds another degree of skill to the race.
It makes for more fun.
Ray

Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by old65:
It's called Road Racing so we run in the dry, in the wet and sometimes, unintentionally, in the dirt.
It seems to me that if the tracks black top is breaking up it just adds another degree of skill to the race.
It makes for more fun.
Ray

I personally agree, we all ran the same *shit* did it add a level to my experience? YES but do I want that in the future? Nope! we aint road rally racing for God's sake!

But Ray, you run off road sooooo much, you prolly dont know the diff! [laughing] [crackup] [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------

old65 Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 6
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's not called "running off of the road", its called practicing for "poor road conditions".

no wonder you consistently beat me.

Oh wait, you only beat me in 1 of 2 races. lol

--------------------

VanB

Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for VanB     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Blake,

I saw nothing but good clean racing from you. I needed a little more of a run when I got beside you in 3. You had the line, all I could do is back off.

The big surprise for me was catching and coming out on top of a 5 lap battle with Greenisen before making a pass stick and pulling away. He hadn't been in a car in a year and I'm not sure the blue 1.8 car is the best.

I have to say your dad has found some speed since last year. Left me in his dust in the IT race.

Jeff

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

3 is a complete mess. I moved my line to straddle the ruts and hoped it would turn before the left. Its like driving the rumble strips down into 5 at Road America.

I don't know how 6 is, I'm consistently off on the access road anyhow. I did pass a prod car by going out there. I would have liked to seen the look on his face when I went around the outside of 6 for the pass. Just giving us a good name.

7 had some issues. You just need to be way inside there. I moved my brake mark up to guarantee getting down to the apex, and then went in early. The track out is fine except for the 1 big pothole out there. If they'd fix that, the runoff would be fine.

1 is no better or worse than the start of the year. Its not great but not terrible.

If you're not running the shock hats and have the car down low, the track has got to be a handful.

I was a full second slower racing vs. qualifying. The heat doesn't help, but you just can't put the car on line.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Mike,

I just remember the runup to the access road being kind of rough, getting as far out as I like to run was kind of difficult, maybe it was just my visual perception.

that gravel trap at 7 railed the hell out of my car a few times when I misplaced the rear driver wheel.

--------------------

Dan Verified Driver

Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I made the most of the heat by keeping my gas cans in the bed of the truck, ensuring the gas was at about 120degF by the time I put it in the car before the race. Who needs density when you have temperature?

Between that and driving like a tool I felt I barely deserved my 9th place.

More practice required....

Here is the smoothest way to transition from a strong 3rd to a pissed-off 6th:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTVunV4IRbs

HERE COMES THE FAILDOZER

-

--------------------

VanB

Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for VanB     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good form. Very smooth spin. [rolling on floor laughin]

and im downloading the video and apparently my video camera got zoomed in on my rear view mirror so that tape is useless. its not only backwards its out of focus. Lots and lots of tape of this pink sock looking thing chasing me though.

Anyone ever tell Ray what a "pink sock" is?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pink+sock

--------------------

just got to that point in my video. the in car experience lasted like 2seconds TOPS, but man did it feel like a lot longer, lol.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: