Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Mid Western Council » MWC Discussion » What tire should MC use in 2009?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: What tire should MC use in 2009?
DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Now that we know the other organizations tire decisions, do you feel MC should follow and spec the R888 also?

--------------------
Dave Cox

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ray and Dave I am not trying to submarine any of your efforts between MC and Toyo, but typically MC drivers don't end up saying much about the rules so I figured I would put it out there so no one complains they didn't have the opprotunity.

--------------------
Dave Cox

old65 Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 6
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave:
No problem, it is a good question and you are right, no one ever asks our opinion.
At this point I am assuming that TOYO will continue our contingency program next year and as such I am I favor of the R-888's (I have ordered my first set).
With the TOYO program covering both SM and all of the IT classes there have been over 100 award eligible drivers so far this year (if they sent in the paperwork).
I do know that a recommendation will be made to keep the R-888's as the spec tire with the provisions of continuing to use up your old RA-1's for one year as slicks and two years as rains.
Are we going to see you at the Autobahn South event on October 5th?
It's a good track to get some TOYO bucks.
Ray

Do you know if the contingency program requires that Toyo be the spec tire or is there eligibility for classes that have an open tire, but the competitor chooses to run Toyo? Personally, I am fine with any of the choices except specing a different tire than the R888 since MC does not have the $$, being non-profit, or time, being purely volunteer, to perform the due diligence to choose a specific tire. Plus the whole marketing aspect (making someone buy a seperate tire just for MC).

I am one of those eligible, but too lazy, so far, to fill out the paperwork. Plus I am not going to be buying any more tires this year so I won't be able to use them...

I am going to be in Kansas for the ABJ race so I won't make it. I will be at BFR next weekend and for the Looong race. My goal is not to throw away a 3rd place, or better, finish this time.

--------------------
Dave Cox

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in favor of going with the R888. If you want to run an open tire, run it in ITA. Personally, I don't swap tires between the classes, just like I don't pull my ballast to run at the lower ITA weight. I've got enough issues learning to drive one set up, let alone two.

I like the grandfathering idea, but 2 years is a little absurd. Assuming no one just bought rains this month, a 3 year old tire as a rain tire doesn't make sense. Grandfather in SM for 4-5 races, and then be done with it. Most Council racers don't have 3 sets of tires that are good enough to carry over.

On a different note, I recently submitted for contingency from both ITA and SM, and was told I could only submit for 1. I thought that had been changed.

Thanks,

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

old65 Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 6
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with the R-888 as an SM spec tire.
Since so many SM cars run all three race organizations it would only hurt turn outs if you had to have differrent tires for different organization.
The TOYO program is the spec RA-1's in SM and open tire in IT, paying the TOYO finishers in the order of their finishes in the IT groups.
Plus the SM and IT classes and race groups are suppose to be reconized as seperate races (not the same feature race) so you are supposed to be able to claim for both.
Send me via PM whatever you received telling you differently and I will check into it.
If anyone else has had problems or needs help claiming feel free to contact me.
Ray

Ray,

I don't know if anyone has said it before, but thank you for doing the leg work for this program. I did some of it some years ago for the BFG contingency for MC and I remember what it takes.

--------------------
Dave Cox

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hear here Ray!

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: