Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Mid Western Council » MWC Discussion » BFR this past weekend

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: BFR this past weekend
DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So what happened in the SM race yesterday?

I decided to get an early start on the drive home after my unfortunate end to the IT race. [fight]

--------------------
Dave Cox

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I guess the most remarkable was DFL to 4th place in a rental car by your crash buddy.

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kanard won it, I think Ray was 2nd.

I am the crash buddy [fight]

With a little help, I went around in 7 on lap 1 from the pole. Had it saved, couldn't dial out the correction fast enough. Gentle slide back onto the track. Stopped the car, saw the pack coming, put my head down, pulled my arms up, and hoped that the corner was yellow and that the 42 other cars in the race would miss me. Dave was 5th through and didn't have anywhere to go. I'd just like to thank him for moving enough to only hit my front end and not giving me the well-done T-bone.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like Mike and everyone else had a good race.

I was actually hoping that I was far enough over only to hit the bumper, but I locked up the brakes and either hooked right or just wasn't as far over as I hoped. I looked at the data and the impact was at 42 mph after being all over the brakes for what looked like over a second.

Thankfully we were the only ones involved. Where we sat (dead stick blocking 50%+ of the track) there easily could have been a lot more damage. It seems we only came out with a stiff neck, hard to say, but I think the HANS device helped (I am assuming Mike doesn't have any additional lingering issues).

--------------------
Dave Cox

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dad said he has some pretty solid video of the impact, but he's working today, hopefully he pulls it tonight.

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have issues, I have a subscription. None of them, fortunately, related to that impact.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Thompson:
Dad said he has some pretty solid video of the impact, but he's working today, hopefully he pulls it tonight.

been sick all weekend. laid in the camper all day Saturday and just sweated, and slept. (other than people knocking on my door lol)

Had I any brains, I would not have raced Sunday, My timing was really off.
Cant believe I found the energy to race 2 groups Sunday. started a new contract today. Worked all day, but I found time today to empty the holding tank, (needed)

havent even thought about vid from the weekend. Im tech challenged anyway, it may take me a long time to get it shown. Before I post anything like that, I would show it to Dave, and Mike and wait for their approval.
don't hold your breath for me to post vids..

Im about wiped out for the night again.. sick sux

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

post whatever anyone has, I'm interested to see my recovery (or lack thereof) skillz

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Post away. It will let me know if I really could have controlled the car by flicking left without hitting anyone else. I am almost positive I couldn't have cleared the back of Mike's car or anyone from behind by going right.

Learning experience.

--------------------
Dave Cox

Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I took it off the camera tonight, and tried to upload to you tube, and something failed. I dont have near what I thought I did. I def saw more than my camera did, I guess I was looking thru the corner, and my camera only could look straight. I will try again tomorrow.

--------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqpT6QsP8gM

--------------------

bah that's too bad. we need some top gun like crap where the camera follows our head movements. That kinda stuff always seems to happen off screen.

--------------------

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kenny said the view was [Eek!]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

old65 Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 6
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is sort of what I saw.
When I came around the corner behind Dave he went left and I went right.
When Dave hit Mike he spun Mike 180 and my first thought was s**t Mike is going to roll right into my path and I can't stop in time.
My mistake, Mike being the pro that he is must have been standing on his brakes like you are suppose to and the car never moved.
Ray

Thanks Ray.

At first I thought I could roll backwards down the track and make more room for people to miss me. Once I realized it was gone and that I was going to be coming across the track, nor mocing down it, I went to the brake hard. I did actually put a car into reverse once and move backwards after a spin. My thought was just that if I wasn't moving, people would have a better shot of missing me, and that if I went to the brake soon, there would be a path on both sides. Dave was limited by how far left he could commit because by that time Scott Green was flying around left after also getting touched during hi avoidance manuever. Dave was worried that he'd miss me only to pinball Scott.

When I first looked up track, I was actually hopeful that everyone would miss me because I mostly saw a single file line coming out of 7.

I did attempt to refire the car after the hit, I'm not sure if I would have actually tried to move it. A vacuum line had come off, so it revved to 5K and I shut it down. Of course, it wouldn't move anyhow.

Wheeler got the car back together today. Front left corner was shot, obviously, but the frame is good. The subframe bent, and I'm into spare body parts (it has a gold fender), but I'm optimistic that I'm going to make autobahn.

Once again, thanks to Dave Cox for minimizing the hit on my car. He's caught some really bad racing luck, especially for such a nice guy that does a lot for a lot of people at the track.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Mike-

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear the chassis is still good since that car has been so good for you.

I have thought about how I saw it and what I would do differently for several days now and unfortunately, there isn't much other than not lift when I heard over the radio someone was in the middle of the track.

What I experienced becuase it was more than just seeing it [Smile] :
Mike started to rotate and I heard over the radio that a car was spinning on track I lifted which I figured allowed Ray to pull along my right side eliminating that escape route and I saw Scott spinning to the left and I thought he was staying on track or very close so there was a very small gap between him and Mike. Hind sight - there was enough room as Scott kept spinning farther left, but I was too close to see that. I moved over as far left as I thought I could and then hit the hooks once I realized I couldn't make hoping to get slowed down to reduce the impact less than a second of brakes only got me slowed down to 42 mph before the impact.

Still not sure what the final verdict will be but it is looking more and more like this cars racing lineage was destined to be only 3 races. Unfortunately, barely even enough experience with it to determine what I would do differently if I attempt to build another one.

This one puts me out for the year, but I will be around to watch the looong race and who knows my dad may still find a ride in something in the prod or IT group to run.

--------------------
Dave Cox

And Mike I am not sure you starting on pole is a good thing... 0 for 2 [Smile]

--------------------
Dave Cox

Dan Verified Driver

Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike - glad to hear your car is going back together. Can we call you Goldfender from now on?

Dave - sorry to hear yours is done for this year. Hope you get back for the start of next season without too much pain and suffering.

Jason S

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason S     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I applaud and admire Dave and Mike’s positive attitude about Sunday’s incident. I surely would be crying like a school girl, damage like that would put me away for at least five years. I spoke with Dave just before the SM race, he was still smiling…good stuff.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: