next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » USGP

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: USGP
d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Whadda they think about them lil furriners with the funny names deep in the heart of Texas?

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think Bernie should call us an put on a 100 car SM race as a support race. [Big Grin] Of course that would mean I would have to go to texas and that can't be a good thing [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are you legally allowed in Texas????

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bernie would host a SM support race but we'd have to put up a $20 million licensing fee.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Bernie would host a SM support race but we'd have to put up a $20 million licensing fee.

No problem: East Street Auto Parts United States Grand Prix and SM SuperFest

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The article says F1 would be racing in 2012, even though there is no track. So help me out here, where would they race? [Confused] [scratchchin]

--------------------
Michael Ross

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Temporary street circuit in Austin?
J~

Did y'all read the part about a purpose-built facility being constructed? (I know, there ain't much time)

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I guess Monticello is out then....

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

Mike Van Eepoel

Region: CFR
Car #: 35
Year : 94 (in progress)
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Van Eepoel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sweet, F1 back in the US!!! I went to the last three races at Indy, starting with the Michelin debacle in 2005. Seeing and hearing an F1 car in a breaking zone....truly amazing engineering. I wonder if the course will be available for track days and club races........

--------------------
Mike V.

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This will take a ton of money to make happen. I am betting they are asking for city and state tax abatements and muni bonds, etc. Hate to be pessimistic, but I'll believe it when it's done.
wheel

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They're going to select a site, buy it, get it through environmental impact/zoning/permitting, avoid NIMBY problems, design it, fund it, and build it, in only 2 years?

If they can pull that off, I will buy a ticket just out of being impressed with their organization!

MPR22

Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
Temporary street circuit in Austin?
J~

Seems like the only realistic chance for a race in 2012 through 2015, but that would be a crazy track if it was in downtown Austin, the elevation changes are rather abrubt.

The only real hope is if they already have the land and have all of the entitlements completed, but I haven't heard a peep about it.

I sure hope its not another pipe dream like the three different NASCAR tracks that were going to built in the Houston area in the last 8 years.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Permanent track with no public funding according to Tavo Hellmund (other than tax breaks I'm sure). 3 sites being considered.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/is-formula-one-coming-to-austin-709355.html

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm sure they'll be as successful as our USF1 team. [Roll Eyes]
J~

Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This effectively sums up my opinion....
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/18170.html

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/18259.html

I REALLY hope it happens, but i'll join Mark and make sure to shake their Project Manager's hand if it happens.

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

everyone here is right on the money from both the upcoming financing and construction challenges point of views.

But, just spoke with someone who has credible experience in promoting big time motor racing events and in building IRL/Nascar race tracks. He provided some interesting tidbits;

"while we all are a bit skeptical, it can be done, finished and ready to go for the final race to close the F1 season in October, 2012".
He added ...
Bernie is a 'silent partner'(read part owner)of Full Throttle Promotions ...
This Tavo H dude has been planning this venture with Bernie for over 5 years ...
He has the 800 acres in Austin for the new track facility already under contract (before the F1 deal was announced), already undergoing environmental audits, with a closing to occur in 90 days, with purchase financing provided by the seller ...
The $20 mil plus F1 licensing fee will be billed to and paid by the State of Texas ...
The State will also fund the Toll highway improvements, the County will fund the connecting roads, the land seller will finance the purchase, The State & County will fastrack the regulatory process for their Tavo H home town boy ...
Full Throttle 'investors' fund the construction and promotion of the event.

And most importantly, there are very big and deep investor pockets behind the curtain, brought in by Bernie to make this happen as Bernie very much wants to 'own' his very own United States Gran Prix. All he needed was a willing local front guy to enlist and receive the help of the City, County and State.
Notice he already brought in that Helmke guy to design the circuit and facility.
One last thought, notice no one has ever gotten a 10 year rights deal before from Bernie, for a to be built venture ... hmmmm, just something to think about, we all hope it does happen.

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When pigs fly...

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

guest driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kim Ouye:
When pigs fly...

or,
what Ms Bernie wants ... Ms Bernie gets
[Wink]

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm guessing both USF1 and USGP paid licensing fees and I'm guessing USF1 didn't get a refund when they couldn't make the grid. So....

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I remmember in 07 or 08 planning on going to the Cancun Grand prix last or this year..
I am with Wheel, I will believe it when I see it.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

MPR22

The ESPN F1 article seems to be a bit biased and uses some shaky facts to support its argument.

--------------------
Michael Ross

MPR22

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
everyone here is right on the money from both the upcoming financing and construction challenges point of views.

But, just spoke with someone who has credible experience in promoting big time motor racing events and in building IRL/Nascar race tracks. He provided some interesting tidbits;

"while we all are a bit skeptical, it can be done, finished and ready to go for the final race to close the F1 season in October, 2012".
He added ...
Bernie is a 'silent partner'(read part owner)of Full Throttle Promotions ...
This Tavo H dude has been planning this venture with Bernie for over 5 years ...
He has the 800 acres in Austin for the new track facility already under contract (before the F1 deal was announced), already undergoing environmental audits, with a closing to occur in 90 days, with purchase financing provided by the seller ...
The $20 mil plus F1 licensing fee will be billed to and paid by the State of Texas ...
The State will also fund the Toll highway improvements, the County will fund the connecting roads, the land seller will finance the purchase, The State & County will fastrack the regulatory process for their Tavo H home town boy ...
Full Throttle 'investors' fund the construction and promotion of the event.

And most importantly, there are very big and deep investor pockets behind the curtain, brought in by Bernie to make this happen as Bernie very much wants to 'own' his very own United States Gran Prix. All he needed was a willing local front guy to enlist and receive the help of the City, County and State.
Notice he already brought in that Helmke guy to design the circuit and facility.
One last thought, notice no one has ever gotten a 10 year rights deal before from Bernie, for a to be built venture ... hmmmm, just something to think about, we all hope it does happen.

Ok, a lot of that makes sense, except for the state paying for the licesing fee. A bit out of character for the legislature.

Raising $350M for the land, track and licensing fee should take less than 12 months. The partnership can go full steam ahead with the entitlements if the land owner is financing the land. For about 1-2 M the project could get all the approvals from the governmental types and be ready to start construction.

Can't believe its been under wraps for several months without the entire city of Austin chiming in, but stranger things have happened.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Region: WDC/ Houston
Car #: 33
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
This will take a ton of money to make happen. I am betting they are asking for city and state tax abatements and muni bonds, etc. Hate to be pessimistic, but I'll believe it when it's done.
wheel

Not needed. Texas has oil, Silicone hills and maybe Micheal Dell or HP can sponsor, not to mention the dozen plus oil companies based in the state.

--------------------
Randy Ramos

http://WWW.MeatheadRacing.com

All I know is if they pull it off I'm going.

guest driver

quote:
Originally posted by MPR22:
[/qb]

Ok, a lot of that makes sense, except for the state paying for the licesing fee. A bit out of character for the legislature.

Can't believe its been under wraps for several months without the entire city of Austin chiming in, but stranger things have happened. [/QB][/QUOTE]

^^^ The fees and costs to put on the F1 race will be paid for by the State of Texas through their "Major Events Trust Fund", $25 mil has already been committed by the Governor. This same amount will be paid to the NFL next year when Texas hosts the Super Bowl.

The reason is was kept "under wraps" until now was because they first needed to 'control' all aspects of this venture, meaning have the land under contract at a very cheap price with the seller financing the purchase, have commitments from the State , City and County for all access and infrastructure, Tax abatement, Trust fund reimbursement, etc.
The moment you let the cat out of the bag, their costs double.

If Bernie is truly the straw that's stirring this drink, this "pig" gonna fly ...
and we'all be racing on that new track in 2013.

MPR22

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MPR22:

^^^ The fees and costs to put on the F1 race will be paid for by the State of Texas through their "Major Events Trust Fund", $25 mil has already been committed by the Governor. This same amount will be paid to the NFL next year when Texas hosts the Super Bowl.

Yeah i read this part last night in the Austin American Statesman, still a little odd because those payments are generally made for once in a decade type events and are meant to help the local governments offset the costs for added police, fire, transportation and emergency services not to pay a fee to the organization putting on the event. That said, I agree if several key political players are on board then it will be easy enough to hadle.

I understand the need to keep things underwraps on land/development deals that is how I make my living.

Texas is one of the best places to get deals done quickly and quitely because we don't have elaborate or costly entitlement processes on state or local levels. Austin is as bad as it gets in Texas and it is still a walk in the park compared to almost any other state with a large population base.

We love our guns, boots and property rights in Texas.

--------------------
Michael Ross

guest driver

more tid bits;
* Reuters this morning quoting Norbert Haug saying "looking foward to going to Austin, he can't wait for Mercedes to race again in the US".
Seems to me that this German is the most no nonsense, cynical, bottom line dude in F1, not prone to get emotional and caught up 'in the hype' ?
What does he (Daimler)know (dealing with Bernie), that is not yet public knowledge?
* they are now shooting for October, 2012 - season ending, World Championship deciding race.
But, if the track itself is not finished by January 1st, 2012, they will move that date to March, 2013 - the season opener. Concensus being March, 2013 is much better, great weather and no local competition from the Longhorns, Texans or Cowboys like with the October date.
* Track & facility will be built in two phases;
1) the track itself with all supporting infrastructure and access along with main grandstand and race control, everything else being 'temporary' and
2) the following year finishing the entire facility including state of the art garages, media center, a 300 room 5 star hotel, etc.
* $50 mill cash, $50 mill private equity funding and $100 mill institutional financing is already 'in place' for phase 1 ...
do not ask me where i am getting these info tid bits, believe them or not, will again say, if Bernie is truly "involved", this is a go, count on it.

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is our field of dreams - Build it and we will come...

And when your done with it we will be glad to race on it a couple times a year...

MZ

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wonder if they need a General Contractor to build this thing [Wink]

--------------------
What does this button do??

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jbenoit28:
I wonder if they need a General Contractor to build this thing [Wink]

Get in line. Lol. Multiple GC's in Texas are already chasing this, a couple with major sports facility experience. I have already sent info to Tilke to see if my company can help on the design team. Lotsa hungry souls in the recession.

Craig J

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Amen Craig. In '08 we were ignoring some of the smaller jobs that we now are happy to bid on. Something this big and fast paced is going to bring in some heavy hitters for sure.

Either way I hope they get it done. It will make it much easier for me to check off "Drive on an F1 track" from my bucket list, and much cheaper too.

Joe

--------------------
What does this button do??

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Stu:

My guess is that this was just to get MMC to do and pay what F1 wants.

I called it that USF1 would not ever turn a wheel and I bet that the Austin F1 race will also never happen -- I hope I am wrong this time

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

MPR22

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
quote:

I called it that USF1 would not ever turn a wheel and I bet that the Austin F1 race will also never happen -- I hope I am wrong this time

Tard should be renamed "Negative Nancy"

He doesn't like 99s
He doesn't like beauty pagents
and he thinks Texas is being used as a tool by F1.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by MPR22:
quote:
quote:

Tard should be renamed "Negative Nancy"

He doesn't like 99s
He doesn't like beauty pagents
and he thinks Texas is being used as a tool by F1.

Only dislike 99 because I can't afford one.
Only dislike child beauty pagents.
And I said I hope I was wrong about a Taxes F1 race

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

guest driver

quote:
quote:

in 74 days, someone from SW Texas please monitor the local papers, if mr. Tavo closes on the purchase of those two parcels (770 acres)outside Austin, there will be a F1 race in Tejas.
Monticello has (or had) ZERO chance of ever hosting a US GP.
Out of the way location, terrible access, inferior race facility (for F1), no infrastructure, no money, no county-state backing, wrong owner attitude (Ari actually wanted to make money [rolling on floor laughin] ) , etc, etc.
F1 is Bernie's show - only Bernie is allowed to make money, Austin will be the jewel in Bernie's crown.
[scratchchin]

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Willie only dislikes child beauty pageants because he was never crowned [rolling on floor laughin] [duck]

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: