Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » G.T.A. 101

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: G.T.A. 101
Butch Kummer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Butch Kummer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've talked about the benefits of GTA over the years and at our July 2010 weekend at Road Atlanta Tim Suddard of GRM drove my car a couple of sessions on Friday's test day. Here's the YouTube video based on that experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seprX8U5Ilo

A few things came to mind as I watched this the first time:

1. We don't really make 560 hp. It's really closer to 500.
2. The first lap on video was not a ball-to-the-wall lap. I eased by the Mustang on the back straight and went just fast enough to keep from messing up his lap while creating as big a gap as possible between me and the red #21 in front of me (Randy Walker). Once Randy went into the pits I turned the wick up.
3. I didn’t realize I had missed a shift coming out of Turn Seven on my fast lap in qualifying. I don’t know if Cuervo was firing a “warning shot” that the transmission would pack up later that weekend or not. Even with the missed shift we were still running over 150 mph on the back straight.
4. Yes they have a synchronization issue at the start of the walk-around.
5. I’m NOT ready to quit my day job just yet… [Big Grin]

Enjoy, and I’d certainly be glad to hear any comments and/or answer any questions you might have.

Butch Kummer
Associate Pastor
First Church of GTA

--------------------
Atlanta Region Asst. RE, Competition Director

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want one!

What does the red dash light indicate?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

JACK MARTIN Verified Driver

Region: Wichita
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JACK MARTIN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What kind of transmission are you using. It sure sounds like it is easy to ship both up and down.

Thanks
Jack

Butch Kummer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Butch Kummer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The red dash light is water pressure. It's supposed to come on to let me know when it drops below 3 psi (indicating a broken hose) but we apparently have a short somewhere.

You can use any H-pattern four-speed, but this one happens to be a Jerico. It's a dog-ring transmission and I don't use the clutch on either upshifts or downshifts. We DID break it during Sunday morning qualifying, but it's been four years (and 30 race weekends) since it was freshened.

--------------------

Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What are the normal operating costs such as pads and rotors, what does the typical engine cost and how long does it last before needing to be rebuild/replaced?

If you run 7-8 weekends in a season what would be a ball park for maintenance costs, ie. pads and rotors, tires, etc.? Where do you buy body parts or a chasis from?

It looks like A LOT of fun! I'm trying to decide which way to go right now either v8rspec miata or GTA.

--------------------
Trakmnky

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How big are the turn outs for the class on the east coast?

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Butch - AWESOME selling job on GTA

Makes it look real attractive and sustainable. How set are the rules? Or are the evolving fast?

Interesting that your min speeds at Road Atlanta are VERY close to that of a Spec Miata in almost every corner. If obviously handles well. And 500HP doesnt hurt it on the straights for sure.

I guess with clutchless shifts you are left foot braking 100% of the time????

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Butch Kummer

quote:
Originally posted by Martin Wiedenhoeft:
What are the normal operating costs such as pads and rotors, what does the typical engine cost and how long does it last before needing to be rebuild/replaced?

If you run 7-8 weekends in a season what would be a ball park for maintenance costs, ie. pads and rotors, tires, etc.? Where do you buy body parts or a chasis from?

It looks like A LOT of fun! I'm trying to decide which way to go right now either v8rspec miata or GTA.

Rather than repeat everything, here's a link to another forum where I've answered questions about operating expenses: http://roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=30954

Body parts are available from FiveStar and ARP among others. Howe, Lefthander, Port City, and others build new perimeter chassis.

BK

--------------------

Butch Kummer

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch Reading:
How big are the turn outs for the class on the east coast?

In SEDiv we average five GTA cars per SARRC event and over ten at the nine "major" events on the calendar. At Road Atlanta in July we had 12 GTA cars and at the ARRC the past three years we've averaged over 20 per year.

I don't have actual figures for the MARRS series, but I think they're right about 4-5 cars per weekend. No other region in NEDiv recognizes GTA at this time.

These are certainly not Spec Miata numbers, but both classes have their plusses and minuses. What I CAN say is you'll never run 150+ mph at Road Atlanta in a SM! [Smile]

I do plan to be at the Fun One at WGI next month, however, and hopefully a few of my buddies will be there as well. You can see how I hate to talk about these cars ( [Big Grin] ), so stop by and see me if you're there.

BK

--------------------

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Butch, I'm sure you can get an SM upto 150... with a GTA car pushing it down the backstretch. [Big Grin]

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Butch Kummer

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Butch - AWESOME selling job on GTA

Makes it look real attractive and sustainable. How set are the rules? Or are the evolving fast?

Interesting that your min speeds at Road Atlanta are VERY close to that of a Spec Miata in almost every corner. If obviously handles well. And 500HP doesnt hurt it on the straights for sure.

I guess with clutchless shifts you are left foot braking 100% of the time????

Thanks, Danny, but as with most good ideas the cars sell themselves. All I'm doing is helping spread the gospel! [Roll Eyes]

We make minor tweaks each year (adding the Camaro & Mustang bodies was the big change for 2011), but the overall concept remains the same. The last major change was in 2008 when we added the Late Model cars to the mix. A LM is lower and wider, so we added 100# to them to "sell" the concept to the guys with the (original) ASA cars (we all share the same drivetrain rules). I had been racing with the LM guys for three years and KNEW the cars were very close, and we've seen nothing to contradict that since.

There is a small faction within the class that wants to get "more spec", but I like the variety (and ease of entry) of the class as it is. My standard response to the guys wanting a single engine, single chassis, single body formula is, "Fine. I'm all in as long as the spec matches what I'm already running!"

Actually, when we first installed the TraqMate I was surprised we were pulling over 1.5 Gs in the corners. To me the cars are amazingly easy to drive "pretty quick" (sorta like a Miata?). Our straights are a little shorter though. [Smile]

And yes, even though Randy Pobst says it's not faster I left foot brake all the time.

See ya...

Butch

--------------------

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a close friend with a road course late model just gathering dust at his shop. [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wanna go fast.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We always watch the "big boys" race when we go to VIR. Seeing Butch's car git'n it down the pit straight never gets old.

Jim Creighton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Creighton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Strange entering this discussion here, but Butch will correct me if I'm wrong.

I work for the USAR ProCup series which is a stock car race series. Our car are very similar to the NASCAR Nationwide series. Our current cars have a composite body but our older cars have a steel body. A number of drivers decided not to update to the new body so those old cars are just sitting in peoples shops.

I'm fairly certain those cars also fit into GTA. I think one of them was purchased and runs out of Savannah, Ga. The cars can be easily converted to road racing and are a hoot to drive. They can be bought for just cents on the dollar.

We have ride along car that was built by the Greenville Tech kids. Without permission, they took it to Roebling Raod and ran it one day. It only took them a short time to have it running around in sub 1:20 laps. Of course, it was geared wrong and blew up. But that's a totally different story.

If I ever got back into racing, it would be in a stock car. Big, fast and fun. Maybe a bunch of our SEDiv SM boys will get together and buy one to share. I can see it now, bump draftin' at 150 MPH.

--------------------
Jim Creighton
SARRC Administrator

Butch Kummer

Jim is correct (God it hurt to type that! [Smile] ) - the USAR ProCup cars fit very nicely into the GTA class. We'd have to look at the engines they're running to make sure they fit, but most of the ProCup guys sell their cars as rollers anyway. There are a number of (competitive) engine options available for well under $10K for a new engine.

BK

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: