Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » Abu Dhabi (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: Abu Dhabi
d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Should be an exciting finish to a great season. Can't wait to watch.

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

who are you rooting for??

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Webber

Scottie

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Im happy with Webber or Alonso. I love watching Alonso drive, he is blood thirsty!

--------------------

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I hope either of the Red Bull guys. I hope they race to the end and one of them gets it. Alonso would have to win be more than 7 points for me to feel good about it. And, I know he is really losing sleep over that.

Scottie

quote:
I hope either of the Red Bull guys. I hope they race to the end and one of them gets it. Alonso would have to win be more than 7 points for me to feel good about it. And, I know he is really losing sleep over that.
I agree with you about the 7 points. But for some reason, and I cant put my finger on it, I dont want Vettel to win. I just feel that Webber deserves it more than him.

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Scottie,
I would agree with that. I would prefer Webber, but I'm totally down with everyone racing for everything, not being waved by. Webber made the mistake that took him out of the points lead. That's how it is supposed to work. Do it right and you get the points. Do it wrong and you end up without the championship.
Whatever, it should be fun to watch. Hamilton was fast this morning, so if all three of these boys take each other out on turn 1, Lewis might rule.
wheel

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want Weber to win because he has never won and it will expose the upper management at Red Bull as hypocrits when Vettel is forced to move over for Weber [Big Grin] Also equally happy if Alonso wins. I can't stand Hamilton, but would love to see him pull it off before Vettel.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Scottie

hahah agreed. I really dont want Hamilton to win. Do you hear is radio transmissions? he treats his team like crap.

I would celebrate and embrace the situation where Redbull tells Vettel to move over!

But in the end, I want it to be a balls out race.

It'll be a pisser when Schumi takes the win on this one hahah!

--------------------

I can't stand Vettel just for that stupid hat he has on in the photo they use to show where they qualified. I'll be watching, with coffee in hand.

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Scottie:
I would celebrate and embrace the situation where Redbull tells Vettel to move over!

they wont tell him over the radio as they want to keep up the facade, but believe me, he has already been told!

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Derek Luney Verified Driver

Region: NCR
Car #: 40
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Derek Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think this facade of team orders or not is silly. It is a team sport. Having said that,some of the best races I can remember were Prost-Senna battles in the same equipment.

While people are concerned about Alonso's extra 7 points, somone tell me if I missed an explanation for the episode early in the season where Vettel called out "ENGINE, ENGINE!" on the radio and pulled over letting Webber by. Next lap he set fastest lap and finished the race?

Gremlins, of course.

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

and poor Felipe ... will be driving for Virgin next year
[Roll Eyes]
In Brazil they threatened arrest if he were to move over for Alonso during the race ...
he ended up getting lapped and meekly moving over for BOTH red bulls with 9 to go and Alonso closing the gap on Webber.
In Milano, thats called treason, punishable by execution or worse, total banishment from the Ferrari team.
Poor guy, can't win for nothing ...

Poor guy?? Racing a Ferrari in F1. I would take that "poor" any day.

wheel

rookie530

Region: san francisco
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rookie530     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i want shumacher to win. ive always been a fan of his for awhile now and since hes never driven this track before it would be a good show of his skill and would be a great upset!

--------------------
will mccloskey

Rookie,
Yeah, right. Shummi will come through. He is the best,
other than Senna, or Fangio, but no chance.
Wheel

rookie530

Region: san francisco
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rookie530     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

haha yeah its a long shot but it could happen

--------------------
will mccloskey

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Let it go Dwayne, you'll feel much better.

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
and poor Felipe ... will be driving for Virgin next year
[Roll Eyes]
In Brazil they threatened arrest if he were to move over for Alonso during the race ...
he ended up getting lapped and meekly moving over for BOTH red bulls with 9 to go and Alonso closing the gap on Webber.
In Milano, thats called treason, punishable by execution or worse, total banishment from the Ferrari team.
Poor guy, can't win for nothing ...

I thought the same thing. I think moving over and not even holding the bulls even one corner cmbined with Alonso absolutely shreding him will end with Phillippe driving else where next year.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:

Ah, a Tralfamadorian, are ya? ... well, you may have gotten Billy Pilgrim but you won't get me! [Cool]

--------------------

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm rooting for old age and treachery. Go Weber!

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Well, I guess Vettel settled that.

[ 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: wheel ]

Jim Epting

Region: Washington, D.C.
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Epting     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
I'm rooting for old age and treachery. Go Weber!

-Juan

That's my feelings also. We old guys have to stick together, not that one ever thinks of anyone being old in GP.

--------------------
Jim E.

Scottie

Since when the hell has Petrov ever been that consistent. You have got to be kidding me!

--------------------

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Petrov had the setup.

The kid looked like a champion from his first race. Glad he made it happen so quickly. Should make for a good next season.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Veteran Member

quote:

I'm not sure my Wikimath is right, but if it is ... 100% of Webber's and Vettel's F1 victories have come with a Newey car .... and 100% of Schumacher's championships came with Brawn.

Even a casual observer of F1 like myself can see that neither driver or "constructor" (i.e. whomever pays money to put their name on the team?) seems to matter as much as the car itself and technical staff.

Then again, it is no more silly than the hallucination that your home city (or college) is better than the rival city (college) based on a system where one guy associated with that city/college "hired" better throwers/runners/tacklers (from anywhere BUT your home city, probably) than his competing rival.

It used to be different. Mercedes was really Mercedes. Fangio won with 4 (5?) different "constructors".

And, best of all, Indians were from Cleveland and Pirates were from Pittsburgh. [Big Grin]

(This, of course, assumes all the grown-ups wrote the history down accurately before I got here. Big assumption, in my experience.)

--------------------

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dwayne Hoover:
quote:

I'm not sure my Wikimath is right, but if it is ... 100% of Webber's and Vettel's F1 victories have come with a Newey car .... and 100% of Schumacher's championships came with Brawn.

Even a casual observer of F1 like myself can see that neither driver or "constructor" (i.e. whomever pays money to put their name on the team?) seems to matter as much as the car itself and technical staff.

I think the driver differences come to shine when the car is not that great for that season. Hamilton and Alonso (and I'm sure Schumacher and Vettel) can squeeze a lot more out of any car than the other drivers in my opinion. Those guys also have the aggressiveness but cool behavior needed to make passes, hold cars (ok Webber shines here), and win races. Massa can neither hold a car back nor pass someone when he has to.

Webber and Vettel look close in ability because the cars were just outstanding. Put them both in say an early 2010 Ferrari or McClaren and I think Vettel would shine.

But one thing I agree on, I think Ferrari's biggest problem was the loss of Ross Brawn from the strategy/management standpoint.

What's the matter Dwayne, got tired of scrubbing your balls and polishing your clubs? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bevJr3Ra84Q

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

...Maybe the best F1 race I've watched this season.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Brockodile

Region: Southeast
Car #: 6
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

Ah, a Tralfamadorian, are ya? ... well, you may have gotten Billy Pilgrim but you won't get me! [Cool]
Dwayne: This forum needs more Vonnegut references. [thumbsup] I can relate to Billy's predicament. I came unstuck in time last weekend. During qualifying, my transponder quit. [Eek!]

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah Vonnegut rocks!

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This whole season the Speed announcers were talking about "you gotta be there" and how important it has been to be ready to take advantage of every opportunity to score for the four people still in contention in the race. Couldn't have been more true.

I'm not concerned that the car eclipses the driver when determining who wins, that's been true for a long time, and some would argue that a good car doesn't happen without the right driver, especially without much testing. There are still probably only about a dozen people in the world who can be truly great in this sport and half of them are probably already driving in it. Awesome time to be watching F1, I think.

My list of drivers who you don't fire in F1 right now, if you're smart:

The Brow
The Brat
Sir Whinyton
Polish
Kobayashi Maru

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Scottie

Okay, so I think I got it figured out. We all need to buy stupid hats! We will go faster!

--------------------

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What was it... 6 or 7 years ago Alonso in a clearly underwhelming car held off Schumacher in the mighty Ferrari for 1/2 a race? Now Alonso in the clearly mighty Ferrari gets held off by Petrov in the clearly underwhelming Renault with the world championship on the line... amazing how this sport turns sometimes.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

MegaModerator

Lance
not so sure how underwhelming the Renault really performs? The put a new F duct design in that car and neither Ferrari or Mclaren ( who is always the fastest car in a straight line) had anything for the Renault on the straights. Too bad that F duct technology was done after that race. No F Duct for 2011

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Renault was .7 off Sebs pace, that's a pretty decent chunk of underwhelming in the F1 world.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:
Renault was .7 off Sebs pace, that's a pretty decent chunk of underwhelming in the F1 world.

true.. but in if your 1.5 off and faster down the straight, most likely you will stay there.

The one thing that does drive me crazy in F1 is the inability to pass even a substantially slower car due to all the aero effects of losing downforce etc when close.

If I were Bernie for a day... I would cut down significantly on aero for starters. Line cars up in order under safety car situtations. I would then make this years option( yes I know it changes each race) the Primary at every track next year. The option would be a 5-10 lap max tire, prime being a 20-25 lap max tire. If you make the race on only two sets of tires, they should be corded at the end of the race IMO. Guys like Button could do it, Hamilton may need 3 stops. Ideally making guys either really save tires or pit multiple times. If the tires fell off so badly, that would help with some passing as well. This year has been too easy to run the race on two stops, many could have run the entire race on the option tire in some cases. I don't think it really achieved the desired effect. [scratchchin]

I know that seems anti F1, as it is a bit contrived, but F1 has already started down that road. With option tires like IRL... Now maybe adaptingthe Nascar lucky dog may be next [duck] [laughing]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-

Alonso was not hurting on straight line speed. PET was only close in sector two. Clearly handling is why HAM turned the fastest race lap.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hmmm; data will only get you in trouble

[Wink]
also remember it took Hammy'n eggs with his F duct forever to get by Kubica in the other Renault.
And slowpokes like Webber and Massa? even further back.
That track allowed only one clean place to pass, end of front straight at T-1. When the guy up front can walk you by 2-3 car lengths down the front straight, you're toast.
Drago makes a very salient point above on tires, and taking it further, some cars designs were better set up for the specific compounds than others (ex. Brawn/Schumacher were screwed).
Bottom line; the german kid was incredible, only reason there was drama in Abu was because of the kerblamo of Vettels motor in Korea with only 10 laps go, no fault of his own. Would have enterred the final Abu race #1 in the points.
It was a great season.

dp35 Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dp35     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Too bad for Aloso that Timo Glock wasn't driving that Renault.

Although Red Bull did not have to resort to having one of their drivers move over for the other, they did display favoritism for their eventual champion. Recall Webber in UK "not bad for a #2 driver"...

--------------------
2010 SCCA Regional Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E1 Class winner, MX-5 Cup

Veteran Member

Put 'em all in SRFs and see what happens.

Then put everyone in each car and see what happens.

Now we know who the best driver is, and who made the best car.

Best pit crew and best strategist? Who cares?

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:

I LIKE...

[/QUOTE]

I care, that and the technology are the best part of F1 for me.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Site Founder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:

I LIKE...

I care, that and the technology are the best part of F1 for me.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, is a team sport for me from designers to the peeps who make sure the cars get shipped. Amazing!

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Scottie

agreed! Races aren't won in the first turn. But they can be won in the pits in F1

--------------------

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The technology is what keeps me interested too. Otherwise, V8 Super Cars is better racing.

But the aero and Herman Tilka tracks are killing the series. Alonzo stuck behind Petrov for 40 laps with a faster car was crazy to watch.

They need to change something to get back to exciting racing.

As much as it would suck to really slow these guys down, maybe take away wings and make them do it all with under body aero. Something ...

Watching a really fast parade is getting old.

-Kyle

PS: have you guys seen some of the ridiculous ideas that Bernie and the FIA engineers have put out there? Short cuts on the track. Movable rear wings that only move when you're the following car (so now you lose front and rear down force). It's like they're drunk when they come up with this stuff. Maybe we need to send the CRB to Paris! LOL.

Site Founder

quote:
Originally posted by disquek:
The technology is what keeps me interested too. Otherwise, V8 Super Cars is better racing.

But the aero and Herman Tilka tracks are killing the series. Alonzo stuck behind Petrov for 40 laps with a faster car was crazy to watch.

They need to change something to get back to exciting racing.

As much as it would suck to really slow these guys down, maybe take away wings and make them do it all with under body aero. Something ...

Watching a really fast parade is getting old.

-Kyle

PS: have you guys seen some of the ridiculous ideas that Bernie and the FIA engineers have put out there? Short cuts on the track. Movable rear wings that only move when you're the following car (so now you lose front and rear down force). It's like they're drunk when they come up with this stuff. Maybe we need to send the CRB to Paris! LOL.

Actually they are drunk all the time.

I think it is how it should be, cars so close that you finish where you qualify plus mistakes as a team. I watch for the mistakes, not the racing, learned that ability long ago. I get my racing elsewhere.... [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good point. It can't be all things to all people.

-Kyle

Site Founder

I beat up on Drago all the time on this, if you want to see open wheel racing, be sure to watch the GP2 race at each F1 weekend, most fun!

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Mike LL

Region: Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike LL     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gp2 is more exciting, more passing, bonzai moves and kids trying to get to F1

--------------------
Mike Lliteras
Sponsor, Mechanic, Owner and Dad
NASA FL

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: