Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Back Fire » Guitarists, in here

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Guitarists, in here
Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I need a little help identifying a basic simple acoustic guitar for my 5 year old. I'm guessing a 3/4 size. But that's all I've figured out. I want to stay cheap in case he loses interest.

The best I've found so far are either a Hohner or a Fender MA-1. But again, I'm only going by online reviews and not my ear.

I'd love to get him a Baby Taylor, but that's just too much money for a 5 year old and I might not let him have it.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There used to bs a guitar called the Martin backpacker.....had a smaller neck, small body, sounded great, and sold new for about $200 or so. If he loses interest, you'll have a nice guitar to bring around to the track.

As strange as this sounds......ukelele. Fewer strings, and hipster chicks love them. Other than that might be an easier guitar style instrument to strum on for small hands.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't worry too much about the size, just don't buy it at Walmart......get any inexpensive classical, with the lightest set of nylon strings.

If he really want's to play, he will learn on anything..... My first was a used silvertone I found in our new house closet without a bridge or strings..... I made a bridge from a scrap of wood in the garage...... no I didn't gut the cat for strings.....

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One of our fellow SM drivers makes some of the best acoustic guitars around,so i am told. Maybe Mr. Collings will get wind of the thread and be able to help you out.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Jim Blaisdell

Region: 83
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Blaisdell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In my "real life", I'm the Director of E-Commerce for Sam Ash.com. ...so I can probably help.
If you call our 800-472-6274, speak with one of my guitar salespeople...they will give you your best options. http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/topCategories_-1_10052_10002

--------------------
Jim Blaisdell
NASA FL Spec Miata Series Director
5XRacing Team Driver

TR6

Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks a lot, Jim. I had sworn off buying music equipment in recent years in order to afford my track addiction. Now thanks to you posting the Sam Ash link, I'm looking at all the cool recording equipment thinking, 'well if I don't buy a new set of tires I can buy this cool Tascam...' [Smile]

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TR6:
Thanks a lot, Jim. I had sworn off buying music equipment in recent years in order to afford my track addiction. Now thanks to you posting the Sam Ash link, I'm looking at all the cool recording equipment thinking, 'well if I don't buy a new set of tires I can buy this cool Tascam...' [Smile]

I hear ya brother! I recently picked up a new Les Paul Studio faded and a used Fender Super Reverb. How many sets of tires is that? Oh, and the other guitars..... But now I have reason to support another SM brother's business..... lead me not into temptation..... Gibson ES-335 satin is calling me.....

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the Martin we bought for the boat. Spent an hour or so finding it amongst 20 units. Still, hard to keep in tune.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim is the MAN with guitars! He's helped me get back into the hobby with great advice and guiding me towards more affordable options that sound as good, or better than the expensive options I was looking at.

He's a badass guitarist too, I think he should put on a concert at one of our NASA FL races during the awards ceremony.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Jim Blaisdell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Blaisdell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not to make all you guitar players drool...but I have 10+ guitars. My fav's being a 63'Fender Strat (fiesta red), a 68' Fender Tele and a Martin D35.

--------------------
Jim Blaisdell
5XRacing Team Driver

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Blaisdell:
Not to make all you guitar players drool...but I have 10+ guitars. My fav's being a 63'Fender Strat (fiesta red), a 68' Fender Tele and a Martin D35.

Wow! A real fiesta red? Boy, that's a lot of Toyos! [Smile]

I need to pick up a decent acoustic, instead of my epiphone (my first guitar). Probably a Taylor 314CE. My other guitars are '93 Strat Plus (sunburst) w/ Fat 50's PUP's (thinking about swapping with Texas Specials), '07 American Series Telecaster (Candy Cola), 2010 Les Paul Studio faded brown. Used to play through a Custom Vibrolux Reverb till I realized that I hated how it sounded. Then picked up the Super (loaded with Rajun Cajuns and Copperheads), which is just b@d@$$.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region

TR6

Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd love to own a pre-CBS strat! I have a few in the closet myself, some of which are valuable, others not so much. To be honest, I sometimes can't remember what all is in there. I guess the highlights of my collection are a 1969 Fender strat (cherry sunburst), a 77 Les Paul Custom (blonde), a 1961 Fender Bassman amp (separate head & cab, blonde vinyl), 1978 Marshall 100 watt half stack, and a black 1980 Schecter Telecaster (not the newer cheesy ones, but the same model Pete Townshend was playing in the early 80's). Oh and a Rickenbacker 4003 bass. Not that most people would care about this one, but I also have a 1985 Robin Raider I that is bright pink (back when Robin Guitars was in Houston). Then there's several of the later 90's and such guitars such as a Telecaster Thinline, a couple of more strats, and a Gretsch of some sort. Now, if I could only remember how to play the damn things, it's been so long...

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Jim Blaisdell

Wow! A real fiesta red? Boy, that's a lot of Toyos!

Forget the Toyos...It's closer to being equal to a $30K built Drago 99' car!!!

Nice to see there are a lot of fellow guitar players around...Might be something to this "playin' guitars and racing cars"

--------------------
Jim Blaisdell
5XRacing Team Driver

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm still mad at myself for passing on a 1960 jazzmaster....ohh well. Love that tone.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's not bad enough that I have racecar envy, now you guys are adding some AX envy to the till. It's just not very nice, I've been playing the same late 80's American made Squire Strat for the last 20 yrs. Its Black with white pick guard, rosewood fret board, and medium frets. I hot rodded it with a Humbucker, EMG, and an FLS but I screwed up the wiring. What do you want, I was 17 when I did it. I just can't find another guitar that I like playing better than it.

--------------------
Jason Ball

Mike Van Eepoel

Region: CFR
Car #: 35
Year : 94 (in progress)
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Van Eepoel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Same boat, different seat.
I have a low end Ibanez GAX for shreading (yeah right) and low end Fender DG-60 acoustic, which I play most often. I reaaally want a Gibson ES-335 since I've become enamored with playing blues. Problem is I'm trying finish this Spec Miata in my garage, which is hogging the funds.

--------------------
Mike V.

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My shreadwreck is a Washburn BT and the one that doesn't see light often is the Gibson LesPaul Standard Gold top. Two guitars and two SMs in the house. Jim..you might be in trouble if ax count is= car count

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Blaisdell:

Wow! A real fiesta red? Boy, that's a lot of Toyos! [Smile]

I need to pick up a decent acoustic, instead of my epiphone (my first guitar). Probably a Taylor 314CE. My other guitars are '93 Strat Plus (sunburst) w/ Fat 50's PUP's (thinking about swapping with Texas Specials), '07 American Series Telecaster (Candy Cola), 2010 Les Paul Studio faded brown. Used to play through a Custom Vibrolux Reverb till I realized that I hated how it sounded. Then picked up the Super (loaded with Rajun Cajuns and Copperheads), which is just b@d@$$.

My daughter(15) saved her dog sitting money for a year and just purchased a Taylor 214ce. These guitars are pieces of art...and the sound produced is incredible. Truly worth the investment!

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

I spent a few minutes at a local guitar shop and think I have settled on a guitar for my 5 year old. It's a Mitchell MDJ10 3/4 acoustic. (Also, tried a Yamaha that sucked). It sells for around $120 before coupons, etc.

I tried both a Baby Taylor and Little Martin. Preferred the Little Martin. But it's $300. He'll need to show me show interst, before I go spending $300.

I had previously tried the Hohner 3/4, but didn't understand why lots of people liked them.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm pretty much an acoustic guy. I use a Alvarez Yairi DY-39 for the most part and for special ocassions a Martin HD-28. The Martin doesn't come out much except around the house. I'm still a lost in the 60's Folkie but it works real well with Jimmy Buffett stuff too. I use a pickup and a medium size amp so I don't have to wail on the poor things too much. My Miata collection consists of two street legal ones although they have been "tweeked". I've been known to mooch a few rides in SM for Enduros with other folks on Social Security. Yes,I am a bit different....maybe that's why they made me a Steward.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: