» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Enduro » Enduro pads

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Enduro pads
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone know who sells the carbotech RP1 enduro pads for a miata, know of other pads that might last a 24hr race, or have tips on changing pads when they're hotter than hell?

We have a price limit on what we can spend for rotors and pads (2x OEM) so I'm guessing the carbo's are out but want to check. I think some of our drivers are going to be easy on pads but I sure don't get close to 24 hrs of sprint events out of my pads so I'm guessing that at some point we'll be due for a change.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have driven a miata with those carbotech pads. They are VERY nice. Definitely worth getting.

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welding gloves & long-sleeved clothing.

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just don't use the brakes, they just slow you down. You shouldn't be braking nearly as hard in an enduro as you would in a sprint race, so brake wear won't be a direct ratio.

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welding gloves and long sleeves it is.

I realize we're not going to go through brakes like sprint racing. On the other hand 24hrs on a track is a long time to trust any pads. I want to keep us safe more than anything. Especially the greener of the team drivers who may not be thinking about these things.

Anyone who's lost their brakes before can probably attest that it kind of rattles you for a second or two. [Smile] I figure it's best to eyeball the pads from time to time and be ready to swap out the pads and/or rotors.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In our lemons BMW e30, brake wear was outrageously slow. 15 hours and we lost maybe a third of the front pads?

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

John Hammer Palazzolo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'm not slow, I'm maximizing my track time!

Region: NASA SE
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Hammer Palazzolo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm with Rob; our Lemons car is a BMW E21. We've now done 2 events on one set of Hawk Blue front pads & Autozone rear shoes...and we could still run another day's worth of track events with what's left.

--------------------
John "Hammer" Palazzolo

Automotive Event Facilitator
Performance Driving Instructor
JohnHammer.org
877.HEY.0005

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most pads will last a good 12-15 hours. Getting to 24 is tough. Carbotech XP10/XP8 won't get you there (at least the fronts won't). The only front pads I've heard of that can go the distance are the RP1s you mentioned and Raybestos ST43. The only problem with the ST43 is they only make them for the fronts for 94-05 and not the rear (they make both front and rears for the 1.6L).

We're testing them with XP8s in the rear this weekend to see how the brake proportioning/bite characteristics match up. I'll report back with our findings. Other guys have used PFC97s in the rear, and others have gotten some custom-made ST43s for the rear, but I imagine that would exceed your price limit.

If you decide on the ST43s, Porterfield Brakes gives you a 10% discount on them with either an SCCA or NASA membership.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith, check your work e-mail. [Smile]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
Most pads will last a good 12-15 hours. Getting to 24 is tough. Carbotech XP10/XP8 won't get you there (at least the fronts won't). The only front pads I've heard of that can go the distance are the RP1s you mentioned and Raybestos ST43. The only problem with the ST43 is they only make them for the fronts for 94-05 and not the rear (they make both front and rears for the 1.6L).

We're testing them with XP8s in the rear this weekend to see how the brake proportioning/bite characteristics match up. I'll report back with our findings. Other guys have used PFC97s in the rear, and others have gotten some custom-made ST43s for the rear, but I imagine that would exceed your price limit.

If you decide on the ST43s, Porterfield Brakes gives you a 10% discount on them with either an SCCA or NASA membership.

The disconnect here Rob is everyone else is talking chumpcar/lemons on street tires, even though the OP wasn't overt about it.

I am surprised anything would get you all the way to 25 hours in the stock miata caliper. That's impressive.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With the 2x rule, I assume it's Chumpcar. But it's based on OEM price which I interpret to mean the price I would pay for them at a dealer--I just checked with my local dealer out of curiosity and a set of front pads costs $97. Ridiculous? Absolutely. But that's the OEM cost.

A set of front ST43s are about $113 with the discount from Porterfield, so they're compliant with the rules. And I would hate to make my brake purchase based on the assumption that my drivers will be easy on the brakes!

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Chad L. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chad L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gibscreen:
[QB] Most pads will last a good 12-15 hours. Getting to 24 is tough. Carbotech XP10/XP8 won't get you there (at least the fronts won't).

I disagree!!! I ran the Carbotechsin 2007 25 hours of thunderhill and they were GREAT! we never changed pads and the car had breaks to spare. I ran the rear pads for another race weekend. Just my [twocents]

Maybe its the 1.8L brakes then because we changed front pads at the 12 hour mark and more than 50% of the pad was gone.

I agree on the rears. XP8s would probably last 50 hours.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Chad L. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chad L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Could be Rob...we were in a 1.6

Jeff Lyon Verified Driver
Still on Probation!

Region: NorCal/SFR
Car #: 17/19
Year : 92/89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We finished 3rd in the 2007 25 Hour running ST43's on the front and Porterfield R4E's on the rear. Had about 30% of the front pads left and a little more than that on the rears.

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Pack Fodder

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Keith, check your work e-mail. [Smile]

I've been in Maui for the week and forgot to turn my out of office message on. Tomorrow starts the long long task of sorting through all my email.

[Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: