Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Enduro » Driver order...things to consider?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Driver order...things to consider?
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any advice for how to manage who drives when in a 24 hr enduro with a really motley crue of racers?

Doing my first enduro and the first for most on the team. 24 hour Chump Car inaugural race. It would be 25 hrs but daylight savings time ends mid race. Car looks awesome. It's amazing how much you can make a miata look like Jaws. [Cool]

We have a mix of drivers ranging from a regional champ to people with track but no race experience. The team captain hasn't done an enduro either so we're a bit in the dark on a few things.

We want the driver of the first leg to have enough experience to handle lap one chaos. We want all the new drivers to get at least a short stint before the sun goes down. I figure due to the HOLY S*** I CAN'T SEE!!! factor we want experienced drivers in the car during sun up and sun down stints.

We have drivers ranging from about 5'6" to 6'2" but it sounds like we have a seat position the tallest driver can live with and padding for the shortest. (I'm in the middle so no worries here. [Smile] ) We can only put in 5 gallons per pit so swapping out drivers may or may not be a factor on pit times.

For most if not all of us this is all about the fun factor but I don't even know what I don't know here so any advice on figuring out who should drive when would be a huge help. [help]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

stu3 Verified Driver

Region: or
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for stu3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith,
It should be a fun time at PIR.
as far as the order goes, our first LeMons race we went in descending order as to drivers experience.
As it was an untested car we only ran 45 min shifts to begin with so everyone could get a feel for the car. I know some will run up to 3 or so hours but we are doing this for fun and want everyone to get a turn to play.
Looking forward to seeing JAWS. we are driving a fox body mustang that is bright orange. stop by and say hi.

Jim

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

damn as the race gets closer I kin of wish I would have tried to weasel my way on to your team. it sounds like its gonna be a lot fun.

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Start with the FAT guy and then work your way to the skinny guy, it's always easier to keep tightening the belts and then only having to really loosen once per rotation. Don't worry about experience if this is your first adventure, just have fun.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At Nelson last weekend, we put our most conservative guy in the car first. If you KNOW your guys personalities, use the guys who comprehend that it's a 24 hour race first & aren't going to do anything crazy early. The key is to stay on track & avoid penalties!! If you have half as many cars as we had last weekend, traffic management is essential and speeds & fuel consumption will be down considerably compared to your most conservative estimates. Make sure your headlights are aimed correctly & not on the helmet/windshield of the guys in front of you... (those suck, in more way than one)

You really need to emphasize that you're really doing an 18 hour Sunday drive followed by a dash to the finish IF you're still running at dawn. If you're running a true $500 Miata, have a spare clutch disk, front hub & alternator!

Eric

also, I thought the Chumpcar rule was true 5 gallon jugs, not one 5 gallon jug, so you should be able to do 10 gallon stints if you feel the car will last...

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the input! I think being conservative is going to be key. We want the car and drivers to go the distance and it's all about having fun. I've heard too many horror stories about lap 1 pile-ups in enduros that take out teams before they even get started.

The car *should* hold up but the spares are a good idea. With the 2x rule we were able to get good brake pads for the front which is nice and the clutch is nearly new.

It was a really nice SM until the front end got totaled so now everything fwd of the subframe is held together with zip ties, duct tape and bailing wire. I doubt there's a straight piece of sheet metal on the whole car. All the good parts stayed with the original owner. Now it's peieced together with a home freshened $100 motor and leftover parts from our own builds. Home made roof etc. It's a $500 car alright.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Ken Wilkinson Verified Driver

Car #: 228
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike C, is FAT an acronym for some type of driver?

--------------------
Ken

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Wilkinson:
Mike C, is FAT an acronym for some type of driver?

Yep.. FAT = the guys who drives first and last. Because when everyone else drives you are under weight and when the FAT guy gets in at the end you make weight even on empty!

Trust me, I drive last ALOT!!!!

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Pack Fodder

I may not be an expert on women but I'm guessing we should probably let the one lady on the team drive last if it's decending order based on girth. Otherwise we're going to be wearing dinner instead of eating it and her husband will be sleeping in the garage for a month. I've been backed into that "You think I'm fat!" corner once or twice in my life. It's like a bad dream where there's a freight train barreling down on you but somehow you can't get off the tracks and can't wake up. [Frown]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: