Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Enduro » Enduro light wiring

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Enduro light wiring
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We have some lights for our 24 hour enduro car, the original headlights are long gone, but I'm wondering a good way to wire them up. We're planning on 3 or 4 55W H3 lights we have handy (60W max each is the rule) so either way it will pull more load than stock. I was thinking about wiring them into the stock circuit with the extra light(s) running in parallel and using a bigger fuse. Stupid idea?

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought some PIAA lights awhile back and wasn't sure what to do either. They came pre-wired with a big ol' relay and switch already. The directions said to connect power and ground directly to the battery, so that's what I did (wasn't on a miata so the battery was up front). I think you could probably also get direct power from the battery off of the starter as that's where the positive cable goes. Just make sure the lights arent on when you start the car... maybe?

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think I'd start with a smaller fuse and replace along the way as the load amperage blows it to determine what is the minimum amps you will need to compensate for. Maybe that will tell you whether you might be looking at hot circuit problems in the future.

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith, this is Portland! You're not thinking green. Just use solar power.

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been using the A/C relays & wiring for auxillary lights this year. That way they're already on a seperately fused circuit & the relays (re-)mount easily, so all you need to do is tie into the relay input & outputs

Since the original headlights are gone, you should be able to run some of the lights off that circuit... whether you should run the third or fourth on the same circuit depends on your comfort level.

Tying any auxiliary lighting directly to the battery may cause you some headaches if they by-pass the kill switch & they find that in tech.

Eric

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: