Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Enduro » Harnesses?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Harnesses?
rmgroth Series Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for rmgroth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was wondering what most of you run as far as harnesses when doing enduros? 5pt or 6pt? Is there are particular brand/make that is more suitable to driver changes, etc?

I ran a short enduro this season (3hr) and just had the smaller driver go second so the belts only had to be tightened...obviously this strategy wont work in a longer race. Tying the belts with surgical tubing to pull them out of the way when unbuckled did work quite well.

Any other tips/tricks?

Thanks

Ryan
#52 SM NASA Midwest

--------------------
Ryan Groth
#52 SM
NASA Midwest Series Director

Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ryan,

Dave Wheeler at Advance Autosports has a really nice set of "Enduro" belts that adjusts and fits different drivers for quick driver changes. I don't remember the brand but I'm sure a quick call to him will solve that 608.313.1230. Dave has used the belt in multiple cars and can speak to it's effectiveness.

My wife and I are going to use the same car and she is way smaller than me. We are going to use the Schroth enduro belt which is made for quick driver changes in enduro racing. http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Competition/profi/profi-II It can be purchased in either configuration 5 or 6pt. I use 6 and my wife uses 5. Different people will have different opinions on this.

Hope that helps.

Marty

--------------------
Trakmnky

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Schroth belts are great. Makes driver changes a breeze.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

one word: SAFECRAFT

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by rmgroth:
I was wondering what most of you run as far as harnesses when doing enduros? 5pt or 6pt? Is there are particular brand/make that is more suitable to driver changes, etc?

The best harnesses on the market right now for enduros are the Schroth Profi-II Enduro belts:

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Competition/profi/profi-II/#2641

The reason is because the lap belt adjuster is built into the cam lock meaning you don't have to muck around with the adjuster close to the hole in the side of the seat. I believe they will run either pull up or pull down as well.

Additionally, I think these use a 2" lap belt which allows for a better, tighter fit along your pelvis.

They are pricey but we race tested them at the 25 hours of Thunderhill last year with great success. We had drivers 5'8" to 6'2" and skinny to stocky. If I was serious about enduros, these are the belts I would install.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With the surgical tubing or the bungee loops, where do you tie the belts off to keep them out of the way?

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith - generally back towards the original mount. For example, the door side I might tie to the lower door bar. The trans tunnel side either to the e-brake attachment or all the way down to the snap-in eye for the harness. The shoulder straps back to the harness mounting bar. Sub strap... I don't recall if we did this one, but it would be good idea.

You want enough tension that they kind of fly out of the way but not so much you have to He-Man it when putting them on. [Smile]

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I tied off the shoulder straps to the upper cage on the left, and I ran a cord from the main hoop to the 'window' frame bar and tied the right shoulder strap to that.

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian @ MSR:
Sub strap... I don't recall if we did this one, but it would be good idea.

It would be a really good idea with a 5-pt harness. Our drivers kept managing to knock the sub through the seat pan hole getting in the car so whoever was assisting with the belts... Lets just say we had some awkward moments and are making some changes the next time.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Run a 6-pt harness and you won't have any sub belt problems.

--------------------
Paul McLester

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I installed two sub belts, one adjusted for my wife and one for me. I got different colored belts so we can tell them apart. The unused sub belt just lays on the seat. I also put chalk marks on the lap belts at each setting to get the adjustment close without a driver in the car.

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.safecraft.com/product_page_detail.asp?P...SubCatID=14&menu=&Search=

This is what you want.

--------------------

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I love my safecraft. Unfortunately mine are crash tested...and worked great.

--------------------
Paul McLester

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 for the Safecraft.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Another vote for Safecraft.
Probably the best piece of equipment I have purchased for the car.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

rmgroth Series Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for rmgroth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Of course just as I was getting ready to get a Schroth they raised their prices quite a bit. I like the look of the Safecraft, but it appears that the sub strap(s) are not easily adjustable, which is a big issue for enduros.

--------------------
Ryan Groth
#52 SM

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ryan, I installed two separate sub-belts, each with its own mounting points to accommodate 6'2" me and 5'0" wife. Mine is blue and her's is black. No need to adjust subs that way.

You're welcome.

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It looks like the Schroths only have the bungee loops on the shoulder belts. Can anyone who actually has them confirm this?

That would swing me toward the Safecraft since the lap belt is what always gets lost under the drivers butt. I have a bungee attached to the lap belt latch which I imagine can be done for the Schroths, but its a tad awkward and having a loop built in would be ideal.

Is the cam on both the Schroth and Safecraft built into the sub belt?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
It looks like the Schroths only have the bungee loops on the shoulder belts. Can anyone who actually has them confirm this?

That would swing me toward the Safecraft since the lap belt is what always gets lost under the drivers butt. I have a bungee attached to the lap belt latch which I imagine can be done for the Schroths, but its a tad awkward and having a loop built in would be ideal.

Is the cam on both the Schroth and Safecraft built into the sub belt?

Yes, the camlock is permanently attached to the sub-belt.

I ran a Lemons race this past weekend and used the GForce Pro FIA belts in the car. They stretched and slipped and never would get tight enough. I missed my Safecrafts!

--------------------

rmgroth Series Champ

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Ryan, I installed two separate sub-belts, each with its own mounting points to accommodate 6'2" me and 5'0" wife. Mine is blue and her's is black. No need to adjust subs that way.

You're welcome.

Thats a somewhat acceptable solution for 2 drivers, but what if you have 4 or 5? Having 4 or 5 sub belts mounted in the car just isnt practical.

--------------------
Ryan Groth
#52 SM

Ken Grammer
Mentally Challenged

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Grammer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ryan:

The solution for 4 drivers is to use one or two sub belts and seat/back pads to get the drivers in the same relative seating position.

--------------------
Ken Grammer

Pack Fodder

What we did at Skippy's in the little formula cars where the sub belts were never changed between drivers... we twisted them up to tighten them. Not an ideal solution for sure and it won't make your legs longer or shorter but it is a simple way to take a couple inches out of your sub belt in a couple seconds.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: