Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Enduro » The Devil in the Dark 12 Hour (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: The Devil in the Dark 12 Hour
Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by breathesfire:
I just figured the DC folks were scared off by the local New Jersey talent!

Smack on!

Pete Maerz
NJ Turnpike Exit 2

Pete you get a gold star for using two oxymoron's in one sentence. [duck] [Big Grin]

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Brian Holtz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Holtz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Windsor:
What Joe said

In a perfect world all the events would be spread out. Until then, one must choose and play the lottery.

Very true. I understand the conflict issue, especially for you guys who are in the business. The JRB will have to take a closer look at the schedule for next year. Does anyone know when the Hyperfest date is set?

Brian

Ken Grammer
Mentally Challenged

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Grammer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We lightened the slate this afternoon. We canceled the 6 hour.

As the point was made... too many events... not enough time between events... not enough teams with dedicated endurance cars, and most importantly, no SERIOUS endurance championship program with a clear points and championship titles on the line.

We decided to bow out and stop swimming against the current...

Best wishes everyone. We'll see you at the 13 Hour this fall.

(I really mean that we'll see you at the karting center... [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] )

--------------------
Ken Grammer

Adam Figarsky

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A great event!!!!...
Dan ..Tony...we made it...
=====
SSM--heard after the event that first and 2nd exchanged places on the last lap...
1st in class 2nd over all-
#32- Dimarco- Mitchum Motorsports---great run guys
2nd in class 3rd over all
#7- Livingood- Ball and Ball - Sync Speed
3rd in class 9th overall
#58 - Henwood - Henwood Motorsports
4th- Plunket - Subway- thanks for you hospitality
=======
SM
1stin class 7th overall
#88- Nash- Crucial Motorsports
2nd #89- Hsu- Rossini Racing
3rd #77- Miskoe- Iron Dragon Racing
======
only 1 caution for debris prob caused by the Lotus ExSqueegee which couldnt stay on the track for anything...a true menace on the track

--------------------
TeamFigMented

2009 NARRC and NYSRRC SSM Champion
2009 SSM NESCCA Enduro Series Champion

Zack Skolnick

Region: NNJR
Car #: 89
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zack Skolnick   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rossini Racing in SM with fast lap for class with a 1:37.7 by yours truly!

--------------------
Zack Skolnick #89
Rossini Race Products/ Piloti /Zamp Racing Helmets/ Playseat USA
http://www.rossiniracing.com

Yosh Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Phila
Car #: 77
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Yosh   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What a nice event!!!

Our first podium!  3rd Overall, 2nd in SSM after a thrilling finish.

With final stops approaching, Jason Livingood got us back on the lead lap and after the last cycle of stops, Chris Kellett made up over a minute of deficit, and took the SSM lead with 30 minutes to go.  He had it stretched out to a 10 second lead with 2 laps to go when the car started to bobble and run out of fuel.  Chris nursed his lead to the final corner under the bridge, but after some minor contact from the #32, we crossed (coasted) over the finish line less than 4 seconds behind the Mitchum - Dimarco, Reading, et al #32 car with a bone dry tank.

Excellent competition, good racing, great event!

Many thanks to our crew:
Dave Wible as crew chief, Andy Gajewski, Andrew Ball, Jim Livingood, Tosh Desai, Jim Moncreif, Ron Kellett, Rick, Bob, our grill and jackman, etc.  Phenomenal job!

I think Dave wore a path in pitlane crossing back and forth from the wall to our pit stall!

Many thanks to Jack and John Banha at Woodlawn, Whit Ball, Chris Windsor at Windsor Customs, Bret at RP Performance, Ball & Ball Hardware, and all our friends and family!

Also thanks to the Jersey Racing Board, NNJR and SJ SCCA, all of the workers and volunteers!!!!!

Bill Ball, Yosh Hakutani, Chris Kellett, and Jason Livingood in the #7 SSM

Philly Region 1-2 in SSM, 2-3 Overall!

[ 06-21-2010, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Yosh ]

--------------------
Yosh Hakutani
SSM /SM #77
http://www.woodlawngarage.com
http://www.syncspeedinc.com

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Yosh!

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Adam Figarsky

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yosh.....wow..what a story.......

--------------------
TeamFigMented

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wasn't it the team's first enduro as well?

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Adam Figarsky

vick...16 will get you 20... terrible..just terrible..
---

--------------------
TeamFigMented

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Jason, Yosh Chris and Team. Awesoem job. Wish I was there.

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

mghenwood

Region: Northeast
Car #: 58
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great Race! Our first enduro, and my little brother's first race ever, with a podium finish, 3rd in SSM.
Thanks to everyone who lent us parts to keep the car rolling. Props to Pete Maerz for great driving, and a new world record for borrowing and replacing a front wheel hub (12 minutes) during our qualifying session, while still qualifying us 7th! Also props to our crew who did an amazing job sorting out the bugs in our MAF wiring that cost us a few laps at the start.

Yosh, even better, it was a 1-2-3 finish in SSM for the PHL region.

Great event and we can't wait for next years.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Yosh   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Vick:
Wasn't it the team's first enduro as well?

First 12 Hour for both Jason and me. As the results attest, definitely not the first for Chris or Bill - lots of 12 hour experience! Also important; Dave Wible has a lot of experience - which was invaluable in the pits!
BTW, Patrick's new car is gorgeous!

quote:
Originally posted by mghenwood:

Yosh, even better, it was a 1-2-3 finish in SSM for the PHL region.

I stand corrected!

--------------------
Yosh Hakutani
SSM /SM #77

quote:
Originally posted by John@P1:
Congrats Jason, Yosh Chris and Team. Awesoem job. Wish I was there.

Thanks John! Missed you this weekend!

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
Congrats Yosh!

Thanks Cy! See you later on at the Glen!

--------------------
Yosh Hakutani
SSM /SM #77

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats everyone
just to finish a 12 Hour in its self is a great accomplishment [Smash] to Podium is just awesome!!!!! [Big Grin]
I hope to see the gang soon [thumbsup]

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great result and it could not have happened to a nicer group of guys. Hope to see you guys at NJMP along the way this season. Also hope you have recovered from the celebration. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

KINGRAT

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KINGRAT   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with Mike on this one... a mid year date is tough when its surrounded by sprint races.

I think an early year event would be better with VIR anchoring the end of season. Additionally I just dont think there are enough enduro competitors to support more than 2 evetns on the east coast.

[/qb][/QUOTE]The date is terrible. This weekend MEATHEAD Racing has drivers competing in the NASA Hyperfest and 24 Hours of Lemons, then we race the next three weekends straight with MARRS 5, Nelson Double and Watkins Double the same weekend as the NJ/MARRS race.

Endurance races need to be either VERY early or late in the season. Unless you have a dedicated enduro car nobody wants to take their car out of service for the time needed to prep the car for an endurance race and then the time needed to refurbish it.

The economy is not the issue, the date is. We are racing more events this year than any previous year with what looks like a good contingent going to the VIR 13 hour. [/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
-----------------------------------
KING RAT MOTORSPORTS LLC
sales@kingratmotorsports.com
(540) 955 9696 http://www.kingratmotorsports.com
-----------------------------------

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Chiming in from the #32 Dimarco SSM here...

First off, this event was FUN. NJMP has great facilities (hotel suites above garages, a tower in which you can view the entire track, perfect racing surfaces and a totally professional management staff).

The North and South NJ SCCA did an awesome job. Everyone had a lot of patience, all procedures made sense and VERY hospitable atmospehere. The full out "pro style" podium celebration was icing on the cake. The track owners were really behind this event, and it showed.

Speaking to the race itself.... couldn't have been better. Bob Dimarco runs his SSM car just like his former Porsche, "When in doubt, just replace it." The car went to Mitchum's shop a few weeks ahead of the race, and the result was a ride that didn't miss a beat. I put about 6 laps in during Friday practice and went to bed with an optimistic feeling.

These races aren't that difficult to get your head around... only two main ingredients from my perspective. Consistent drivers and well oiled/confident team for the pit stops.

Bob, Matt and myself handled the driving part well enough. But the Mitchum guys earned this win. I will admit I had slight doubts, as the Mitchum guys were running Mid Ohio at the same time. Well, Trevor McClure stepped up to the plate BIG (this is the same guy I met hanging from the 3rd story decks at the Cheateau Elan at Sebring). I'd put our pit stop efficiency up against anyone. ...as well as our tequila chicken fajita pitroad dinner.

BIG props to my boy Matt Dimarco... turned identical laps to his qualifing effort in the final stint. Kept pressure on the #7 (Kellet) to run hard and use up their fuel. The ability for the #7 to do the race with one full stop less than us was ONLY 3.7 seconds short.

Lets do it again at the 13.

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Matt Henwood... you guys looked awesome!

Wasn't that Pete's first race?

Nice podium man. You guys are going to be faaassssssst... Pete scared the piss out of me a few times out there!

--------------------

mghenwood

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Mitch, thanks for the compliments. We planned on running this race with just the two of us. Knowing it was Peter's (my brother) first race, and my second race, we thought a 3rd driver would help to take some pressure off of us. In retrospect we probably would not have made it without Pete Mearz and his crew support he added to our group. In the end it made for a great team.

The problems we had with our MAF wiring lost us a few laps at the start of the race, which sufficiently lit a fire under our butts for the rest of the race. In the end we finished one lap up on the Subway car, and we were running on fumes.

We had some great battles with the #32 and #7 cars along with the other SSM and SM cars.

Congrats to the #32 and #7 cars, and all the other racers who completed the race.

[ 06-21-2010, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: mghenwood ]

mghenwood

Anyone know where we can find the final results posted?

Probably on mylaps.com at some point, haven't looked there myself yet. If you log in, you should be able to track all of your stints to see how consistent you were thru traffic, outlaps, etc

--------------------

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to the "Livingood- Ball and Ball - Sync Speed" Team on a great podium finish! Jason, Yosh, Chris and Bill, sounds like you had a blast. Only sorry I wasn't out there with you all.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Don D Verified Driver

Region: New England
Car #: 52
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Don D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why is Father's day weekend so bad for the DC region guys now? For at least the last 5 years (and probably longer) the Summit Point 12-hr was the same time of year and they all seemed to make it there.
Whatever. You guys missed a great event at a spectacular facility.

SSM was definitely where the action was. We led for a while and were within a lap or 2 of the class leader until I got hit by the "Jackass" BMW (not my name for him, the name of his TV show). The really sad part is that there is no good reason he should have been slow enough to hold an SSM car up. I had decided to pass him after following him around for 3 laps and he apparently never checked his mirrors after running wide in "the devil". Bent the tie rod. The 20 minutes it took to replace it and set the toe took us out of contention. 600+ hp BMW M6 vs 1.8L SSM. Not good. He cost us a good finish.
Thanks to Joe Plunkett for letting me drive (and damage) his car. Thanks to Matt Kessler for the tough motor and transmission. As usual, Pete Smith and Mark Crum did clean fast stints on a track they has little or no previous time on. Ralph, Judy, Dan, Jessie and Adam handled the pit work with no penalties. I am privileged to drive with this team and feel like I let them down. Lesson learned. Assume the "Jackass" doesn't see you.
Thanks to the NJMP and SCCA for a first class event.

Don Duman
Team Subway

--------------------
Southern Auto Auction
Eastern Powersports Auction
Kessler Engineering
http://www.kesslerengineering.com/Site/Home.html

Matt Miskoe

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Miskoe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone have a copy of the grid sheet they could email me? Or at least tell me what time the #23 ITE Miata posted for qualifying? Seems there were some odd things going on, my DL-1 times don't match what I remember seeing posted.

Thanks
Matt

ctkellett Verified Driver

Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Man, what a great event, as others had pointed out it was run as a first class race, the safety crews and corner workers helped make it possible to run the entire 12 hour event with only a single full course yellow. This was without question, the best run enduro of the 6 that I have done. Congratulations are in order to Mitch Reading & Mitchum Motorsports team on a fantastic run to the top spot in SSM and a 2nd place overall, your pitstops were very quick and smooth all day long. "Subway Joe's" team was certainly the class of the SSM field for the first half of the race, that was for sure, our car went down 2 laps in the early hours to them and it was an uphill battle for sure during the 2nd half of the race.

I think the thing that I am most proud and happy about with the car that we ran, is that we did this event as friends, for fun, period, and boy, that is what we had. We ran an amateur home built car ( no offence Yosh and Jason) with only the generous help of other friends and family to a 3rd place overall and 2nd in class. Heck, we had to be towed off of the track and through impound at the end of the race, how cool is that! There was not an other place that I would have rather spent my 42nd birthday, let's do it again on my 43rd!

-

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^ Our team, scudderia zissou had an AWEsome weekend as well. Trading 1st in class (5th overall) with the #6 ITS miata for 8 hours was incredible! The bimmerworks 335 was holding us up as well - don't know why?

With only one full course caution and a flaming lotus drive past, it was a sweeeet weekend.

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

Adam Figarsky

has anyone found the podium pictures that they took at the end of the event...?
-----

--------------------
TeamFigMented

breathesfire Verified Driver
flirting with disaster

Region: South Jersey
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for breathesfire     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Results: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=554356

Pete Maerz

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

pics are up at

http://hotlapphoto.zenfolio.com/

and

http://www.dwphotoworks.com/NJMP-Events-2010/SCCA-Devil-In-The-Dark-12-Hour

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How was that Exige allowed to race without a roll cage or proper racing seats?

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

Vick Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There was a rumor out there somewhere that the race was being broadcast? Any news on that?

--------------------

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John@P1:

Maybe because they own the track? [yep]
You would think they would be the poster boys of safety and compliance.

Is Joe related to Vick? [scratchchin]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

mghenwood

quote:
Originally posted by Don D:
We led for a while and were within a lap or 2 of the class leader until I got hit by the "Jackass" BMW (not my name for him, the name of his TV show). The really sad part is that there is no good reason he should have been slow enough to hold an SSM car up. I had decided to pass him after following him around for 3 laps and he apparently never checked his mirrors after running wide in "the devil". Bent the tie rod. The 20 minutes it took to replace it and set the toe took us out of contention. 600+ hp BMW M6 vs 1.8L SSM. Not good. He cost us a good finish.

Not sure if he was the one driving the car at the time, but my brother found this on his Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Dunn

"A notoriously bad driver, he once flipped a car with Bam Margera, Jess Margera and Chris Raab eight times into oncoming traffic. Jess suffered a cracked wrist during the incident."

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
There was a rumor out there somewhere that the race was being broadcast? Any news on that?

This rumor is untrue.

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Vick Verified Driver

Thanks for clearing that up Chris. I think I had 12 people saying they heard something along those lines. Probably overheard someone talking about the fact the mazda weekend will be broadcast and it became a big game of telephone.

--------------------

Yep, although they did a great job of having live timing up and running for the whole event, the idea of broadcasting it was not likely an option. The closest that we might get to that are some of these photos that the son of one of the of other drivers in our car took of the event, I think that they really capture the feeling of the event and the spirt of our little team.

http://www.blankmediagroup.com/Pictures/Andrew/12hour/njmp12hr/

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Vick Verified Driver

Those are great photos. Somehow Andrew missed your light stands though. Here's what they looked like for those that were not there. Best use of particle board and 2x4's ever.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vicktorvolpe/NJMPDevilInT...r2010#5485047471746269138

I also thought it was great that the boy's from Philly celebrated with some Victory's and Yuenglings.

--------------------

Thanks, not pretty but neither were we. We support all Philly brewers equally, we even had some Yards Brawler which you should do yourself a favor and try if you bump into some.

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Terry Hanushek

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Hanushek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Jersey Racing Board would like to all of the drivers and crew who participated in the first annual running of The Devil in the Dark. Our group enjoyed putting on our first 12 Hour event and are pleased with the result. We hope that you had as much fun as we did.

I hope that everybody will be able to make it back for the second annual in 2011

Terry

Terry Hanushek

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Hanushek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Chris

quote:
Yep, although they did a great job of having live timing up and running for the whole event, the idea of broadcasting it was not likely an option.
I have this idea .... how about Truth in 12?

Terry

Terry Hanushek

John

quote:
We did have a Lotus Exige S compete in the event. It had a manufacturer supplied roll cage which meets FIA specifications and is acceptable under GCR 9.4.G.8. There is a letter from SCCA Technical Services confirming the FIA certified cage. The car was issued a logbook at the Jersey Devil National after a careful inspection by a National scrutineer.

HTH

Terry

Terry Hanushek

Matt

quote:
Does anyone have a copy of the grid sheet they could email me? Or at least tell me what time the #23 ITE Miata posted for qualifying? Seems there were some odd things going on, my DL-1 times don't match what I remember seeing posted.
Car 23 had a qualifying time of 1:41.382 good for 20th starting position.

The qualifying times were not printed from our Orbits T&S program because of a decoder setup error. All of the qualifying times were available and manually entered into a spreadsheet for posting.

HTH

Terry

cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Terry Hanushek:
John

quote:
We did have a Lotus Exige S compete in the event. It had a manufacturer supplied roll cage which meets FIA specifications and is acceptable under GCR 9.4.G.8. There is a letter from SCCA Technical Services confirming the FIA certified cage. The car was issued a logbook at the Jersey Devil National after a careful inspection by a National scrutineer.

HTH

Terry

Terry,

I think most of the web has seen pictures of that Lotus and pictures of a Lotus with factory FIA cage. There is no way that car had the FIA Lotus cage in it.

Lotus racers in T2 who know a lot more about this say the same.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/lotus-exige-s...t-weekend-pics-etc-88988/

Sorry to say this but shame on the SCCA for allowing this.

Can't imagine the size and scope of the lawsuits had something happened involving this car.

NJMP has lost some credibility. Was it worth it?

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

Adam Figarsky

cant believe this was a week ago...so wierd..
===
anyone have the link to the pictures that were takin at the podium...?

--------------------
TeamFigMented

Jason Livingood Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philly
Car #: SSM #77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Livingood   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ctkellett:
I think the thing that I am most proud and happy about with the car that we ran, is that we did this event as friends, for fun, period, and boy, that is what we had. We ran an amateur home built car ( no offence Yosh and Jason) with only the generous help of other friends and family to a 3rd place overall and 2nd in class. Heck, we had to be towed off of the track and through impound at the end of the race, how cool is that! There was not an other place that I would have rather spent my 42nd birthday, let's do it again on my 43rd!

-

Yup - it was a really nice event, organized very well, at a wonderful facility. I was also pretty amazed at how much preparation and planning a 12-hour takes, but it was a great experience (especially for someone like me that loves to create lists of things to do). We had a GREAT team and crew (ESPECIALLY Dave Wible as crew chief extraordinaire + all the folks Yosh and Chris thanked plus RP, Windsor, and Woodlawn), and the other SSM, SM, and ITA Miatas in the field made it a LOT of fun.

It was especially fun with so many friends, and it was even Chris' birthday, and my Dad was there for Father's Day.

And with a race coming down to the last corner, well you really can't ask for more fun than that!!

I have to say also that racing at night was quite an experience. I really, really enjoyed the stint from dusk into night and found the night racing really addictive. If I'd not run low on gas I think my team would have had a hard time getting me out of the car. :-)

Jason

--------------------
SSM #77

Jason Livingood Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philly
Car #: SSM #77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Livingood   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I also thought it was great that the boy's from Philly celebrated with some Victory's and Yuenglings.

It's important to support your local brewers! ;-)

BTW, while the Lotus may have been borderline, the entire field of Miatas had it all over those guys. They were fast when they were running but by and large the Miata was the superior car to have had in the race. As always... :-)

--------------------
SSM #77

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Terry Hanushek:
John

quote:

HTH

Terry

I'll try and not to throw cold water on the revelry & congratulations as I'm 100% jealous of anyone who got to drive in this event. I would have been there myself but for a previous corporate event that has had me in Barcelona for the past week...I know, must be tough, eh? [duck]

To Terry,
I try and not to call out anyone on the Internet, it's too easy (and usually entirely pointless) but both of the tech inspections that my car went through (NNJR & NER) involved a scrutineer who wanted to see the hole in the cage to determine the tube's thickness. And if you didn't have a hole he (or you) drilled one.

I find it incredible a "National scrutineer" was willing to put his SCCA license on the line and accept, without question, that a car had a cage installed when no bars were visible all because of a 'letter from national'.

Either someone in national screwed up (big time) or there was a bit of deceit involved with the Lotus team and they misrepresented the car to national.

Either way, I'd hate to have seen the legal aftermath to the club of an incident involving injury or loss of life.

It may be hyperbole (and speculation), but that "National scrutineer" put the entire club at risk by allowing it to compete in the state it was prepared.

To the other drivers/entrants,
I would have thrown paper at that team the instant I learned it was being allowed to race in that condition. Whether you cite roll cage or other safety specifics or protesting it's classification, it's still "something" just to bring more attention to the incident. I know it's easy to say that now but just like above, would you have wanted it on your conscience to have caused someone else injury which might have been mitigated if their car had been prepared properly? Guess I kind of view it as "Go safe or go home" situation... (Says the guy who wears in mid-summer heat full leggings/long-sleeves Nomex plus a HANS.)

Anyway...maybe that's just my sour grapes over not getting to drive it this year.

Back to BCN & planning for my next enduro opportunity! [thumbsup]

Thanks,
Brandon

Jakeq

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jakeq     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Terry, I agree with Brandon on all counts.
What the hell is going on here!?!?! The car in question has it's pictures all over, and it obviously doesn't have a stick of roll cage in it. Pictures of FIA cages exist, and they are quite obvious. The rules state that the car can be given a logbook with a letter and an FIA plate on the roll cage. There IS no cage, so, ergo, there is no FIA plate? HOW did a tech inspector allow this to happen!?!?!?
9.4.G.8 clearly requires the letter AND the plate.

Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: