next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Upper Radiator seal

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Upper Radiator seal
Edens Verified Driver

Region: ARK
Car #: 26
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Edens     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know you can use the one from the 1.8 car in the 1.6, the quesrtion is do you have to buy one from Mazda or can you just build you own out of sheet aluminum or plastic??

--------------------
1993 Spec Miata
sponsored by:
MTECH- Miata TECHnology
Sherwood Tire Pros

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do you mean the shrouding between the bumper and the radiator up top? If so the answer is yes. I have heard tale of bud light boxes being used. I built mine from aluminum.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Edens Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Edens     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cool, thats what i thought I just wanted to make sure before I went through the time of building one.

Thanks Dude.

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No problem, see you next week.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Edens Verified Driver

Where are you guys gonna pit for the race this weekend? We will be over Friday aftre noon sometime.

MegaModerator

PM sent.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Viking Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 05 and ??
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viking   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It would be a really weenie protest but the rules state .......

"c. All cars may install the Upper Radiator Seal, p/n NA75-50-OK7A"

Which means the Bud Light is non compliant, sorry.

--------------------
Viking Sjovall
Viking Motorsports

MegaModerator

Hmm, if we are talking about the same part or fitment I think this comes into play:

2. Cooling System
a. Any radiator may be used, provided it is mounted in the original location, maintains the same plane as the original core and requires no body or structure modifications to install. Any openings created by fitting an alternate radiator shall be blocked to prevent air from entering the engine compartment. The stock cooling fan(s) must be maintained. At least one functional stock OEM cooling fan must be mounted in one of the stock locations.

If so, you may choose bud light or regular grade. This rule would supercede. Opinions?

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viking   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Zandbergen:
Hmm, if we are talking about the same part or fitment I think this comes into play:

2. Cooling System
a. Any radiator may be used, provided it is mounted in the original location, maintains the same plane as the original core and requires no body or structure modifications to install. Any openings created by fitting an alternate radiator shall be blocked to prevent air from entering the engine compartment. The stock cooling fan(s) must be maintained. At least one functional stock OEM cooling fan must be mounted in one of the stock locations.

If so, you may choose bud light or regular grade. This rule would supercede. Opinions?

I understand this radiator part of the rule that you quote to be the area between the core support rearward to the radiator, and sides around the radiator, not the panel that comes on the 1.8's and is in front of the core support. That area would not change regardless of what radiator you installed. Thats why the other rule is written into place. And actually the panel does have some small openings so a well cut Bud light box could do a better job and offer a VERY slight advantage (atleast in theory) so a postest would probably work against the bud light box, weenie as it would be.

Don't look at me to protest you though. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Viking Sjovall
Viking Motorsports

MegaModerator

Agreed, it could be argued, but as long as you aren't trying to add air flow to the filter, just trying to keep air in the radiator it is weenie and unlikely.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Besides, it's a very cheap panel to insure you comply with the rules.

--------------------
Viking Sjovall
Viking Motorsports

quote:
Agreed, it could be argued, but as long as you aren't trying to add air flow to the filter, just trying to keep air in the radiator it is weenie and unlikely.

100% Agree with you !

--------------------
Viking Sjovall
Viking Motorsports

quote:

You know, it might actually add more airflow by NOT having it in place although then it will allow the car to run a little hotter also.
Without it in place some of the air will flow above and over vs thru the radiator allowing a higher under hood pressure AND a slightly cooler air intake air temp. Will this amount to a noticable difference ???
In Texas, I will go with the more air thru radiator and cooler car.

--------------------
Viking Sjovall
Viking Motorsports

MegaModerator

We tape EVERYTHING up for our summer races. We have to to keep the car cool. There is no performance intent or advantage other than keeping the motor alive.

112 ambient on the grid makes you look at things differently. Pretty sure you guys have the same issue.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

I understand about the heat all too well. I'm the guy that would like an oil cooler spec'd for us ! Which would help reliabilty and add a few hp, or atleast keep the few we have when it gets hot.

Just remember,if the rules don't say you can ..................

--------------------
Viking Sjovall
Viking Motorsports

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had wondered when I bought the $5 seal, is it OK to tape up all the gaps it leaves, as a way of securely attaching the seal? It obviously doesn't fit exactly in there anyway on my '91.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark McCallister:
I had wondered when I bought the $5 seal, is it OK to tape up all the gaps it leaves, as a way of securely attaching the seal? It obviously doesn't fit exactly in there anyway on my '91.

Look at the parts catelog for what holds it down, or look at a 1.8 liter car, I used screws, no tape, no problems.

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but the rule says :

quote:
Any openings created by fitting an alternate radiator shall be blocked to prevent air from entering the engine compartment.
Therefore, if there was an opening with a stock radiator and you put in an 'alternate radiator' that had the same opening as before, you have not 'created' another new 'opening' that the rules allow to be 'blocked'. Note that if you did create a new opening, it must (shall) be blocked, not can or may be blocked.

The rule reads like most band aid additions, in this case to prevent using a space next to the radiator for cold air intake ducting.

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Except this cover has nothing to do with which radiator you're using...it's completely separate from the radiator rule.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Antonio Garza:
Except this cover has nothing to do with which radiator you're using...it's completely separate from the radiator rule.

Exactly.

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bringing this one back.
The part number listed above (NA75-50-OK7A) isn't bringing back any results on the Mazda Motorsports site. Is it still valid, or do I just need to call them?

--------------------
Brian

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First one to send me a reasonable offer gets the new one I've got. I didn't realize it was NA only when I ordered it last month (duh).

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Professional ballast

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PM sent.

--------------------
Brian

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Benthin:
Bringing this one back.
The part number listed above (NA75-50-OK7A) isn't bringing back any results on the Mazda Motorsports site. Is it still valid, or do I just need to call them?

NA75-50-0K7A (zero not O)

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Professional ballast

How are these mounted on the 1.6 cars. The mounting holes don't seem to line up, do I need to drill? Also it seems like it wants to be underneath the black sheet metal bumper/nose mount that screws to the radiator support area.

Anyone have a pic?

--------------------
Brian

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll try to get a pic of mine today or tomorrow.

I slid mine under the part you mention, though I don't know if others do the same.

No drilling required.

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You MAY NOT build your own! Use the stock part or none at all. Yes it is a weenie protest but those are the rules. Spend the $7.50.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Professional ballast

Thanks Greg, I appreciate it!

--------------------
Brian

Jeff Wasilko

Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Wasilko     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Benthin:
Bringing this one back.

Perhaps the O should be a 0 ?

NA75-50-0K7A comes back as a 'bumper seal'. Is that it?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: