Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » First post: getting my scca license with Skip Barber

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: First post: getting my scca license with Skip Barber
Allen

Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Allen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been interested in racing since I was a kid (I'm 28 now). This year for Xmas Santa is sending me to do the 3 day mx5 cup car school at Road Atlanta! A few months ago I bought a '91 Miata to use as a weekend toy/track toy for track days. My father-in-law (Santa) is convinced that I should turn my car into a spec racer (hence the trip to road atlanta to get our licenses).

So far, I've done the timing belt and water pump on my car and added a hard dog hard core single diagonal roll bar (not compatible with hard top). I added the roll bar before I knew spec Miata was in the picture. I'm guessing that will need to be yanked in order to get a cage in the car... What I'm trying to figure out now is how to slowly turn my toy into a spec car. I'd like to be able to drive it around town and do some hpde in it before it's no longer street worthy... Other than wheels, tires, and brakes what spec mods can I do to the car and retain driveability? I'm guessing the spec coilovers will shatter my teeth? What about sways?

Looking forward to reading through all the info on the site.

Allen

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Allen,
Welcome to Spec Miata! You will get some excellent support from folks at this site.

Sways, intake, wheels, and tow hooks will work for street and help with track days. A shaved set of Toyo's on those wheels, for track days only, might be nice.

If you do a racing seat prior to the full roll cage, DO NOT USE the shoulder harness belts. Very dangerous in a roll-over situation without a full cage.

If Santa has a hole burning in his pocket, some options that you can transfer to racing that will improve your track days might include a traqmate GPS data system and a Go Pro Hero camera.

You might browse the classifieds and snag a low priced existing car, if nothing else, for the parts. You might need help picking the best bang for your buck, but the parts you could scavenge could pay for the car, and you will end up with a spare parts car. There are a couple $7-8000 examples out there right now.

If you have any questions on the build, feel free to PM me and I can at least point you in the right direction.

PS> assuming your car is manual, not auto

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Allen,
Use the search function on this site. There are a ton of guys who have done what you are starting to do. A lot of it has been discussed here, not that you won't get new information, if you wait a little bit.
An SM car is street worth, if way too stiff for a daily driver. My advice is to first read the SM specs in the GCR, which will prevent you from making modifications that you will have to unmake to get the car back to legal. Download here: http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Forms/2010%20Tech%20Forms/sm-jan.pdf

Get Jim's Spec Miata set up guide, too. Available on this site.
wheel

[ 01-02-2010, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: wheel ]

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get Dave's book from Advanced Autosports.
http://www.advanced-autosports.com/PROD01_under_the_hood.htm

--------------------
Paul McLester

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Allen -

Ditto on Dave's book. Lots of great info there and step by step help with the build. Certainly less expensive to buy a SM already done than to do one form scratch, but great satisfaction from doing one yourself.

The spec suspension is pretty streetable IMO. But, in any event, get lots of track time - autocross, HPDE's etc. That is your best investment!

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A proper cage will virtually make your Miata unstreetable, unless you don't mind wearing a helmet to run to Quick Trip.

There are some relatively quiet SM exhaust systems, but most seem to run the Springfield Dyno exhaust, which is too loud for the street.

You can do DEs with your rollbar and be okay in 99% of situations. Just avoid that 1%!!

In short, keep your stock seats, exhaust and rollbar until you are ready to make your car a track-only car.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did the Skip Barber MX-5 school at Sebring......after that.....patience my ass I wanted to race! I went out and bought a ready built car so I could get on the track quicker. Search on the site for help. Here is a thread you should read. http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/2949.html#000000

Also join Mazdaspeed to get your parts discount on Mazda parts.
http://www.mazdaspeeddevelopment.com/index.php

--------------------
Paul McLester

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd begin to learn the car in as close to race form as possible, so I'd suggest you install the SM suspension kit before beginning to track the car. There will be less of a learning curve once you do get it to the track. I drove mine like that towing a 12ft tire trailer for 8K+ miles 2 years ago before I stepped up to a tow vehicle and trailer. It rides a bit hard, but it's very streetable if you're not comparing the ride to a Cadillac or Buick.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

CP: I'd begin to learn the car in as close to race form as possible, so I'd suggest you install the SM suspension kit before beginning to track the car.

I agree. No point learning with something completely different, if you don't have to.

wheel

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: