Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » newbie scca regional license

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: newbie scca regional license
Reggie Verified Driver

Region: Delta
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My regional competition license package should be at the topeka office tomorrow, including my app., med.history with doctor's findings of good health, my money order, Skip Barber 3 day school certificate and favorable recommendation and all other requirements, along with my list of experience including 4 completed races in our club circuit in Louisiana.
QUESTION: About how long does it USUALLY take to be cleared and receive a newbie's competition regional license if there are no major complications?

Todd Greene Made Donation to Website

Region: Alabama
Car #: 86sm
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Greene     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats from one newbie to another...

Mine was received within 7-10 days.

Todd

Reggie Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks, Todd. I am glad to know that!

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Reggie congrats on getting closer to a license. Your schools, medical, and application will get you a Novice permit. You need two races as a Novice to get a Regional license. Unfortunately the GCRS races don't count per Appendix C of the GCR which states:

2.2. Credit Toward License
A. To qualify for renewing or upgrading a license, a competitor must participate in the minimum number of SCCA races specified in the
chart, below. However, no license credit shall be given for the following:
1. Drivers Schools
2. Races held as part of a Drivers School
3. Events not sanctioned by the SCCA
4. Events resulting in a DNS or DNF

That is why I spent this past weekend in Houston running the SCCA double regional. I got my two SCCA races signed off and will submit my app for the Regional license.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lee, the Skip Barber school is the equivalent of the Novice + 2 regional races for SCCA. You send in the sheet of paper saying you did the Barber school and SCCA sends you a regional license.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cool. That is why skippy cost so much. [Wink]

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

jim kettelkamp

Region: GRR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jim kettelkamp     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
Cool. That is why skippy cost so much. [Wink]

tell me about it...
they charged me abt. $250 for that piece of paper. [yep]

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Reggie
Let us know what happens. I hope its more user friendly to get your license these days. I went thru hell a few years ago. Did you make copies of all your paperwork. I hope so. They are notorious for misplacing it. Also for anyone else,the best way to send it is FEDEX to the Quick address and not the PO box.

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

Reggie Verified Driver

Thanks, Jeff, I did make copies of everything and I sent it to the quick address. I sent it US Mail because my small town doesn't have a FedEx office. But I'll tell you: it is still a bit of a mystery as to how a person can get a license to drive SCCA.

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Having just completed the process myself (and did a happy dance when the SCCA package arrived) I can attest to the mystery surrounding how to become a licensed SCCA racer.

Some questions:
With only a Novice permit, are we allowed to enter any races prior to attending any schools?
If we must attend school(s), do we have to complete the 2 school sessions before being allowed to enter a race?

I can understand the attraction to the double-school events as that would seem to qualify (if you "pass" that is) as the pair of schools and then that Sunday you can enter the race.

Last question/statement:
I've heard it can be advantageous to "maintain" your Novice status longer (if you don't plan on competing nationally) in an effort to attend additional schools. AKA, SCCA schools are generally the same price as a lot of track days but you get the benefit of instruction as part of your on-track time.

If you're allowed to continue to enter races while under a "Novice" status (since it is valid for 2 years of length, excepting medical) and not submit your paperwork to corporate for your regional license then I don't see any disadvantages to doing so.

Please feel free to correct as necessary..
Thanks,
B

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can answer part of this. When I was preparing to send in my paperwork for my regional the person I talked to in Topeka advised me to wait and submit it with my membership renewal. Once my Novice Permit was signed off the region I'm in recognized me as having a regional license for the remainder of the season. Check with your region on their policies.

As for schools the SCCA novice school held here in the northwest (Oregon Region) can be retaken even if you have your regional license. So again check with your region.

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brandon F.:

Last question/statement:
I've heard it can be advantageous to "maintain" your Novice status longer (if you don't plan on competing nationally) in an effort to attend additional schools. AKA, SCCA schools are generally the same price as a lot of track days but you get the benefit of instruction as part of your on-track time.

If you're allowed to continue to enter races while under a "Novice" status (since it is valid for 2 years of length, excepting medical) and not submit your paperwork to corporate for your regional license then I don't see any disadvantages to doing so.

Please feel free to correct as necessary..
Thanks,
B

Brandon:

Up near us, they generally let people with licenses enter schools, especially if they are just starting out. (There is someone who has been doing schools for seven years or something, I won't point fingers.) I actually did two schools last year. The one at NHIS, and then the one at Limerock. At Limerock they gave the more experienced people their own run group, and we managed to have a fun little scrap.

There could be a benefit to keeping your novice, doing four races, and then going right for a national license if you want. It saves you the cost of the regional in the middle.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brandon,

Participating in schools and racing @ the regional level is great for the first year on the novice permit. I was told, your novice log book is THE ONLY record of your "acheivements". Therefore, if, heaven forbid, the novice log book is lost, stolen, misplaced, etc....you get to start all over again. [Eek!]
IMHO, get as much track time as possible the first season. Then make a copy of the originals before you send in your paperwork to SCCA.
Starting over is great for some things in life [Big Grin] , not sure if the novice paper work is one of them.
Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Vic, in my best Italian accent..."You talkin" to me ?"

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Vick Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jeff, I never said it was a bad idea to run 7 schools. Heck, I'm up to two and would love to do more if time allows!

The class time in the schools is great too, but up here in the NE I hope you have thick skin and a real good sense of humor. It's good to spend time with the other drivers (you're going to see each other on the track, good to put faces to cars) and it's a good bonding experience.

--------------------

Mike L. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: MoHud
Car #: 27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jeff, I thought you attended the schools because you kept missing the classroom session covering the part about "grid announcements". [duck]

--------------------
Mike Lo
1990 SM 27

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not sure why you'd want to hold onto the Novice Permit for your entire rookie season. I couldn't wait to get rid of mine last year. It took roughly 6 weeks for my regional license to arrive after I sent in my paperwork with the school diplomas and regional race sign-offs. In that time I'd show my Permit at registration and I thought it was a PITA. Waiting around at the end of the day for the Chief Steward to sign the Permit sucked too. I'm currently waiting for my National license to show. I submitted the forms 4 weeks ago.

The schools are good for learning situational awareness but students will take erratic lines, brake at strange places and sometimes not even see you as you're going for a pass. Cars will also be going off track and spinning more often than during a typical race. Keep all this in mind. Once you begin racing you'll find that you feel alot more comfortable about the actions of those around you.

I think this is Vick's video from our school at NHMS last April, my second of the month. As you can see, there was alot going on. I'm the idiot that followed the pace car into the pits during the mock "race" at the end of the second day after a caution flag. Still dunno why I did that...DOH!

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Question: Does anyone ever FAIL a Skippy Skool ?

Check bounce, maybe ?

Show up drunk, maybe ?

Just wondering. Is this a history that is completely "redacted" ?

Vick Verified Driver

Yeah Cy, that was the video from NHIS, and that's only what I caught. It was a learning experience for sure. I think the main thing was there are very different levels of experience out there, and as a result some interesting things happen.

John, I saw a guy asked to leave a skippy school....more of a bad attitude than anything else. I also saw a guy knock three corners off one of the cars, and then just climb into another one and keep going for the next two days. I'm sure other people out there have their own stories on it, maybe even some instructors.

--------------------

Scott Koschwitz Verified Driver

Region: New England
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Koschwitz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes. I attended my Skip school at Lime Rock in 2002. One of my classmates was a nice older guy from upstate New York who had bought an Alfa Romeo to race.

He failed because, even though he had a good racing line, he was too slow. I felt bad for him when he told me that he didn't know how to tell his wife that, after spending the money on the school, he wouldn't be able to race.

--------------------
#91 SSM

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At Road America there was a guy in the 2-day advanced school who was trying to qualify for their racing series who was even spinning the car in the long straights and once attempted going through the Canada corner without first braking. [yep]

They took him off the track and relegated him to the autox course. First it was in the MX-5 until he made the head instructor sick and then they put him in the beginner formula car to spin out by himself. Needless to say they didn't let him race with them that weekend.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most people who spend $3500-4000 plus hotel, airfare, food tend to try very hard not to fail the school. Just as the SCCA instructors try very hard not to fail a student at their schools.

--------------------
Paul McLester

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cy,with the right attitude a licensed driver can learn a lot from sharing the track with those strange and erratic newbies. (I've seen some of the same moves by licensed drivers.) [duck]
Remember it's a school not a test day.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^^^For a licensed driver I suppose it can be good for practicing getting around lapped cars. I saw some crazy lines while trying to get around people last season during regionals and it was scary at times. One guy we thought was trying to wreck the entire front half of the field as we blasted past and it turned out he was just clueless.

I'm trying to convey to him what to expect at a school. Keep your eyes open and bail on a pass if it gets hairy and damage is imminent.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So the ultimate question (for me at least is):
Could I enter a regional race with only a novice permit and zero schools (not that I plan to)?

There's some male pride on the table here as the wife seems insistent the SCCA wouldn't allow me to be entering any race without at at least a single school under my belt whereas I think once you have the novice permit you're good to go.

Though, not in the best prepared mode as you could be post-schooling.

Thanks and see you at the schools this spring!
B

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brandon,

Just went through the SCCA school, here is what I observed.

The instructors are there to help you learn safety first and foremost. Flags, Flags and more Flags. After each session your instructor will give you little tidbits of advice on how to get around faster or safer depending on what you need.

The students range from people with large amounts of previous race experience to first time on track renting a car they have never seen. Mixing the two can get pretty interesting, especially as the newer folks gain confidence and start racing you into corners.

If you have no experience on a track with other cars I doubt the SCCA will let you enter a Regional event. Just went through my first Regional race, after several track days and SCCA school and it is still another level of HolyCow things are happening fast, especially with 20+ other spec miatas trying to get through the same turn.

Enjoy the school and watch out for the SRX7 rentals, their brakes suck but the have more HP and will try to take you out entering turns after the straights.

--------------------
Michael Ross

quote:
Originally posted by Brandon F.:
So the ultimate question (for me at least is):
Could I enter a regional race with only a novice permit and zero schools (not that I plan to)?

I did that just two weeks ago AFTER I went through a lengthy and thorough process of having the Licensing DA review my racing experience. I was given a school waiver allowing me to run two regional events to obtain my regional license. I was also told NOT to screw up in the races and that was evidenced by my very safe and conservative actions on the track (i.e. slow).

It is my understanding that an SCCA school will not teach you to drive. They will teach you the SCCA registration and race day process (grids, starts, etc) along with flags, flags, flags, as Michael posted.

Edited to add: I should add that my racing experience wasn't the only factor in getting a school waiver. I am also an experienced corner marshal having worked National events and the Petit LeMans to name a couple. This greatly added to my flag skills.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

soupy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brandon, the short answer is no. Unless you can show proof of prior racing experience. Then you must go to the divisional licensing rep (yours would be Pete Smith) and get a waiver.
I know schools are getting far and few but personally I think if you don't have more than 1 or 2 years of car racing under your belt you should have to do at least 1 school. You need to learn a lot of things about SCCA or NASA and the way things are done and what is expected of you. I've seen too many guys with kart or bike or roundy-round racing that have the wrong mindset. Throwing them out in a race on a roadcourse can sometimes get ugly if they don't have a clue.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think what these guys are saying is your wife was (repeat after me) rrr...

rrrr...

was rrrrii...

rrrriighh...,

right.

P.S. The best resource for licensing issues is your local region. That's what those guys and gals are there for. (Thanks volunteers!!!)

soupy

No his wife wasn't right, HE was just confused.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I gotta remember to use that Charlie.

soupy

I know Deb won't buy that.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brandon -

Her's how it works mechanically. You'll notice in the front of your novice permit there is a section to capture your school experience. When you go to registration for your first two (minimum) regional races, they will be looking for the signature that you have successfully completed all necessary training required to be eligible to race. As somebody said, you can get that signature from meeting the school requirements, or by waiver if you've had other experience that is deemed sufficient.

I kept my novice permit until I met National Requirements solely to save a few bucks.

As far as your comments about staying a Novice:

My experience is that it is up to the individual school to decide whether or not to enroll you. If you have already passed an SCCA school, they would want to know why you are returning. FWIW, our region allowed a few Regionally licensed drivers into the school last year for various reasons, one being attendance was low.

As far as racing on a Novice Permit for two years, I think the registrar would start to ask questions, as well as the steward. One of the requirements of the Novice permit is that you turn it in at registration and you get it back from the chief steward at the end of the weekend. If you think saving the few bucks of a license is worth needing to visit the tower every race, I would suggest you have not yet visited the tower enough [rolling on floor laughin]

Have fun!

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

call me, I am the WDCR REgion license rep.

240-476-1593

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Thanks to everyone. I seriously didn't mean to hijack Reggie's original thread but somehow I think the answers helped everyone.

And as to the wife, yes, I'll maintain my 'confusion' status. [Razz]

Off to get registered for either the Summit Point double-school or the NJMP-Lightning single-school!

I kinda like the idea of learning a new track but from what you guys have mentioned (and Vick has shown with his vids [Eek!] ) I may be better off taking the single school on a track I've driven 3-4 times already! [Wink]

Look forward to visiting with you guys in person at some point during the season (and probably buying someone beer for helping me out of a self-induced jam I'm sure).

Thanks,
B

CP Verified Driver

FWIW, I'd never been to Summit Point before the school last year and learned quite a bit during my 2 days there from my instructor. We did a bunch of ride-alongs in the instructors' street cars where they showed us things like the line around a track I'd never been to, how to pass with less than 12" between the cars and where flag stations were located.

We had sun, rain, mud and wildlife to contend with on track while we felt the wrath of the Chief Instructor in the classroom. I didn't bring a helper to either of my schools but it's highly recomended. Use the schools as the opportunity to get all the spins, mis-shifts and off-track excursions out of your system for the season [thumbsup] I only got a few laps on video and wish the camera had worked during the mock "race" at the end of the second day, as it was highly entertaining.

Also, I highly recommend NOT staying at the Knights Inn in Charleston, WV. The room was nasty.

--------------------
-Cy

All good points Cy - and reminds me of how I approached Monticello (what I'd consider an "intimidating" track) for the first time.

Just jumped in and held on!
Oh, and it was clear (but damp) for the first two sessions, massive downpour for the 3rd (have video of that - damn Loti don't seem to have mudflaps!), and a drying but waning sunlit session to round out the day.

Noted about the hotel though depending upon the weather at that time we may rough it with a tent.

See you at Summit Point!

CP Verified Driver

Summit Point mud never comes off the undercarriage either.

--------------------
-Cy

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cy -

Did they show you the drainage ditch in the carousel infield? I think that's where all the groundhogs live. It took wire brushes to get the mud out. [Smash]

If you want cheap accommodations the Northgate Inn in Charlestown is OK. Discounts for track rats.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Summit Point is not a difficult track to drive, but it is a very tough course to master. If you are reasonably comfortable in your car, I wouldn't worry about it being a new track for school. You'll get plenty of seat time by the end of the weekend [thumbsup]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
Summit Point mud never comes off the undercarriage either.

I still have NJ Thunder mud on my truck from the monsoons last year [laughing]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

CP Verified Driver

Heh, me too. I was lucky enough to be the only guy who actually paid for a garage spot underneath my room so I had a few guys hiding in there while the monsoon passed, shooting the bull. More of it under the car from going off between 1 and 2 during the race, bending a rear control arm and another off coming down the hill on the backside towards the condos. Good times [Smile]

To the original poster: enjoy the school. The WDC region puts on a great event.

--------------------
-Cy

Back to Reggie's original question: I sent my regional license application in on January 19. I just checked online (January 28) and the regional competition designation is now on my membership profile. Woohoo!

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

GROOTS

Region: NY
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thats Fast. Wonder what happened with REGGIE. Yo REGGIE you out there, give us a shout. Did you get your license back from TOPEKA ?

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: