» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Traqmate vs AIM

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Traqmate vs AIM
rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can I get opinions on which is the best or most appropriate for SM.
Thanks in advance

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've used one AIM system and one Traqmate system so I'm no data expert.

Both systems collect data well but I found the Traqmate system easier to install, set up and use. The software is much easier to use in my opinion.

I don't know where you are but in the Mid-Div and SE-Div there are A LOT of systems installed in SM cars - lots of guys to get data from to use as a yard stick.

I recommend the Traqmate...

MZ

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would get what most of the people in your region run.

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am a fan of the AIM stuff. Very powerful and expandable. Look at the EVO 4 with a Micron dash.

But if all your buds have Traqmate systems it might be the way to go.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DL1 is my choice with far better analysis software. But the deciding factor should be whom will you overlay your data with?

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have not used the traqmate but I have been using AIM products for over 10 years and have found there service second to none and have no issues with the Aim Pista that we use and also the Mychron 4 is a sweet low cost unit.

I have emailed the gentlemen at Traqmate twice from this site to inquire about there product, but have been ignored on both occasions. [Frown]

Pat Slattery

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Kyle Freiheit

Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DL1 is second to none in analysis software, its very simple right of the box and can get VERY techy and configurable if you want. In the NWR the majority by far use AIM and although I thought the software was lacking it was very easy to use and probably gets you 95% of anything you would ever need as a club racer. Honestly, I would get whatever everyone else has in your region which is probably traqmate or aim and if you want to be the rebel and/or really like getting into data, go with the DL1.
Luckily Jim Eli and I trade data, now we just need to convince some other hotshoes to start using the DL1 [Smile]

Kyle

Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Study the software and select the system based upon your preference .......that's what you are really buying. Everything else is just noise.

I'm an AIM owner/fan but I'm an engineer and always prefer the complex over easy. ;^) Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use a Traqmate and find both the hardware and software very use to use. It's truly plug and play. It's enough for me, the club racer.

One thing I do like about the Traqmate that you can't get with the AIM units is that it is very portable. I can use it in other cars with minimal setup and installation time (I'm talking about 5 minutes).

Having said all that, I'm pretty impressed with the AIM systems and all they offer.

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Icon 14 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The RLC color display units are becoming popular in SoCal (RUSH is a dealer)... I'm considering one of their GPS units so I can move it from car-to-kart-car [twocents]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently went through the process of choosing a system. I really liked the DL1 due to the portability, great computing power and features. The Traqmate seemed like a nice system for the many reasons people like that system too. My final decision was a Michron 3 Gold since almost everyone in this neck of the woods has data that's compatible without jumping through too many hoops and it seemed to have enough bells and whistles to suit my actual needs at a decent price point.

I'm still installing it so I can't say much about how well it actually works. (In addition to the sharing data aspect, it will also be nice to have people around who can explain how to use it for more than just an expensive digital display.)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with the others who have said that the single most important aspect in a useful data system is the ability to trade data meaningfully.

As others have stated, our region is almost unanimous in using AiM, so we all have completely comparable data (meaning that, e.g., 95mph on my data system means the same as 95mph on almost everyone else's data system.

In figuring out what my car, properly driven, should be able to do, it's wonderful to get the data from a faster driver, and see, e.g., how fast he does the connected turns 10, 11 and 12 at PIR. You can't do that if you and he don't have the same data system, because your numbers won't be comparable.

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll echo what a lot of these guys said: Having a bunch of fellow racers/buddies with a particular DA system that you can share data with can make that system more valuable/usable. Your learning curve will be much faster when you have other data to directly compare yours to (as in over-lay laps).

If you don't want to share data or don't mind if you cant overlay, then the question becomes what are you looking to get out of the DA system?

If all you want is GPS data and track map and maybe a few other data inputs, the Traqmate is a great system. Easiest to install, lower basic system price and easiest software to learn. Simple plug and play.

If you plan to install driver input sensors, chassis sensors, engine parameters and the like, have the computer knowledge to get more out of software, or want one of those fancy dashes then looking at a DL1 or AIM system would be the way to go.

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have come from being a total newbie to winning a few races and I attribute much of that to Traqmate. Its a simple system to use, is very fast to learn and in the SE it is the dominant DA system in SM so there are many to share data with.

Been very happy with the performance, stability and reliability of the hardaare and software.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DL-1 for data capture.

Rumblestrip Racing DLT3-GPS for real time.

http://www.rumblestripracing.com/DLT3GPS.html

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the Rumplestrip for real time and will most likely pick up an AIM Evo-4 for data. Most people around here use AIM..

cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What are you looking to do?

Do you want stuff to just work on driver development?

Are you interested in chassis data as well?

Do you want a dash with RPM lights, oil pressure, warning lights, etc. all in one spot?

Do you want simple and easy to use?

Do you want the ability to expand down the road from a simpler setup?

How much time are you willing to put into getting comfortable with the software?

Answering these questions can help eliminate certain systems and point you in a more defined direction.

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like Traqmate is easiest to use. I thought in SFR it was the most common. No? ONE BIG QUESTION.
Overlaying a better drivers maps...isn't the line the line? Or are you looking mainly at breaking points and other data?

cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When you talk about overlaying you are generally talking about overlaying the data like speed, acceleration g's, lateral g's, etc.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by rhart:
Overlaying a better drivers maps...isn't the line the line? Or are you looking mainly at breaking points and other data?

If you look at my line, and then look at the guys at the pointy end you will see a difference. I've noticed it trying to hang on to fast drivers, others have pointed it out watching me trackside, etc.

It's especially true when it comes to "compromise corners" where corner A goes directly into B. In those sections, the fastest line through one part means you have to go slower through the other so it's important to know where to go fast to get the best lap times.

Plus if you've driven other types of cars on the track, they don't all have the same strengths and weaknesses so you'll see differences in the lines.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by rhart:
Sounds like Traqmate is easiest to use. I thought in SFR it was the most common. No? ONE BIG QUESTION.

By no means is there just one line. That’s where data comes in. You can try different lines and see what works and what does not. How your car handles also influences what line will work. I have been known not to drive the Traditional “Line”. There is also a racing line and a qualifying line. Get a system and then experiment. Make the most use of the very expensive track time.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

[ 02-21-2010, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: rhart ]

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ditto to what Ralphie said. Lines can be different and will impact lap-time. Just use caution when comparing lines from 2 different units (even same brand) and the accuracy of these things is in the 2-3 meter zone. They may not line up exactly...

In addition to the line, by comparing speed, lateral-G and brake point data, you can see where faster guys are using their car closer to 100%. You could have the same exact 'line' as the top dog, but if you are going through the corner 10 mph slower, your lap times will suffer.

Real world example: Last year a guy running my car was ~ 12 seconds a lap slower his first session out (on the same day). We looked at the data and the biggest glaring difference was the exit speed from turn 5 (a long high-speed sweeper before the back straight). I had him by a bit more than 10 mph. We looked at braking point, length, decel g's, turn-in point and entry, lowest and exit speeds. Showing my guy that his line was spot on but his entry speed was lower than my slowest speed gave him the confidence to know what the car can handle. Result was a big jump in corner speed for turn 5 and a ~6 second drop in lap times.

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

jmbay Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Northern California
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jmbay     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am a noobie in the SFR region. I am building a car, and have not decided yet on the AiM vs. Traqmate. Also, it seems that the Aim Mychromo gold auto has sensors included with it's price. For the traqmate, the sensors are an additional price, making it more expensive. Any comments on this also? So, polling the SFR, what do you all use?

SSCMAZDA3

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SSCMAZDA3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been using Traqmate for 4 years and it has served me well. I just moved up to the AiM Pista to take my data to the next level. Give Ralph a call, he was very helpful and his prices are good.

Don't stress out about which one to buy, the good thing is they all have great resale value. If you buy one that you don't like you won't take too bad of a beating selling it.

--------------------
BRETT MARS
#05 T2 Mustang Shelby GT

The only heterosexual in Pittsburgh that is not a Steeler fan....

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: