Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » sparco seats in SM

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: sparco seats in SM
jmbay Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Northern California
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jmbay     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Has any installed a Sparco evo 2 plus seat in a SM? Side mounted? Any special hardware needed or mods necessary?
Or for that fact what are others using if they do not care for the aluminum seats?

I am 5'11", 170lbs

Thanks

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I installed a similar-sized (e.g., big-boy size) Cobra Imola 2 GT seat in my last SM. I don't think you can fit the standard size (Sparco, Cobra, Recaro) FIA mounts in a Miata with these wider seats. My car had a custom-built seat bracket and the tranny tunnel was banged in a bit. Depending on your roll cage door bars, you may have to trim a bit of the thigh bolster to squeeze in that seat. Now you know why so many bigger guys use aluminum seats!

Good luck! It's a pain in the arse to install but it's worth having an FIA seat, IMHO.

By the way, your height/weight doesn't imply that you're a "big boy" driver. I bet you could fit in a regular size Sparco Evo seat just fine. Have you tried the regular size seat?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jmbay     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I sat in a Evo and it was nice and snug (at a motor sports stor, but the belt openings were below my shoulders (my shoulders covered the belt openings). The tech guy at the store said I needed the lower part of the opening to be at or above my shoulders for the belt to fit properly. The Evo 2plus is the same seat as the Evo seat in dimensions, except it is a bit taller, thus the belt opening are above my shoulders. Same seat as Evo, just taller. Also, it is Hans friendly.

Thanks for you reply

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a Sparco ProADV in my car. It fits pretty well without major modifications to the tunnel. Definitely needs to be installed in a specific order!

You and I are almost identical size wise. It is extremely comfy compared to my old aluminum seat. I had to take some padding out to get the height I wanted, but that was more a personal preference thing. Definitely narrower than the EVO 2, those things are huge.

I used Sparco side-mount rails. I had to drill out slightly the holes on the floor slots for the rails so that my 3/8" bolts would fit through them. I used the lowest rear mounting hole and the 2nd-lowest front hole. I had to find some fine thread metric bolts that were short enough. Too long of a bolt and you will risk stripping out the insert in the seat when you're cranking it down, thinking you need to get this thing that's going to keep you from dying really F-in tight. I think about 1/2" of thread was all I needed, if that. Helps if you have the bolts that go from the side mounts to the seat BEFORE you try to get the seat in...learned that the hard way.

For me, I first bolt down the lap belts to the stock belt locations, then bolt down the side mounts and anti-sub belt (using a 6-point) Then put the seat in, get it approximately where I want it, and check the length of the sub belt with the lap and shoulder belts tight-ish. Then I spend about an hour swearing, pounding, shoving, and whatever to get the bolt holes to line up where I need them. Putting the rear seat bolts through the side mounts loosely first made it a lot easier.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just put the Sparco pro ADV in this week, great seat easy install.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rich:

For me, I first bolt down the lap belts to the stock belt locations, then bolt down the side mounts and anti-sub belt (using a 6-point) Then put the seat in, get it approximately where I want it, and check the length of the sub belt with the lap and shoulder belts tight-ish. Then I spend about an hour swearing, pounding, shoving, and whatever to get the bolt holes to line up where I need them. Putting the rear seat bolts through the side mounts loosely first made it a lot easier.

When I installed a side mount seat on my own, after roughly the same process I found it was easier to loose mount all the bolts to get them to line up, tighten the ones to the floor, then the ones to the sides of the seat. (I must have had that SOB in and out of the car 20 times. [Mad] ) That assumes of course you can reach all the bolts to the floor which may not be easy.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm running a Pro2000 on a Sparco slider.
Some BFH work involved, but nothing all that major.

--------------------
Brian

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pro2000. I believe the only Sparco composite seat with bottom mount, which makes it easy for Miata install. I chose to grind down a small part of the seat instead of using a hammer.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

jeremybarnes

Region: San Diego
Car #: 14
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jeremybarnes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a Sparco EVO 2 Plus in my '90. I chose it for the same reason you mention -- i could fit in an EVO, size-wise, but the shoulder belt holes in the Plus fit me better. I'm 6'2", 190 lb, but most of my height is in my torso, so I need the height of the back to get the belts to fit comfortably.

I have a custom bottom-mount for the seat. I had to cut out the front stock seat-mount, and the seat is bolted to the floor (no slider), but I fit really well in it. We used the BFH method on the tunnel, and I have an "interesting" notch in the upper area of the door to get the wing to clear, but it's great in the car.

If you want pictures of the install, PM me and I can send you shots of the mount, the tunnel and the "notch" in the door.

With a big enough hammer, a welder and a cutting torch (and a good friend/fab shop you trust), you can pretty much fit anything into anything...

Jeremy Barnes
Yellow #14
San Diego SCCA/SoCal NASA

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pro 2000, floor mounts, good hardware, BFH.
Feel free to pm if you have any specific questions.
Jeff

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ProADV here. Good fit, very comfy.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Scott Zetterstrom Verified Driver

Region: WDCR
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Zetterstrom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pro ADV here as well. Chris at Windsor Customs sells a nice mounting bracket that has a lot of adjustment. Installation is pretty easy too. Bolt to the existing mounts in the front, grind away the rear mounts and drill 2 holes in the floor for the rear. To center the seat with the steering wheel you only need to massage the trany tunnel a bit. [Smash] [thumbsup]

--------------------
#13 SSM
ME Solutions LLC
Windsor Customs Racing
PBC Automotive

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Zetterstrom:
Pro ADV here as well.

[thumbsup] x3

quote:
Originally posted by Mike888:

I love it when you add weight. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Zetterstrom:
Pro ADV here as well.

[thumbsup] x3

quote:
Originally posted by Mike888:

I love it when you add weight. [Big Grin]

What size are you guys with the Sparo Pro Adv?

Also, I was told by a tech guy that the side moount is safer and FIA approved. If I have two driver, it has to be on a slider. Any comments on this?

thanks,

Mark

One more thing, how is the visability and the ability to crawl out in case of a fire with the halo on the Circuit Pro and the Pro Adv?

Rich Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Visibility is not an issue since I already use a head and neck restraint, turning my head wasn't much of an option anyway. The wings are beyond the peripheral allowed by a full-face helmet.

The wings do make it pretty much a necessity to remove the 1/4 window.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would guess the Pro ADV is about 16 inch wide seat. The pro is narrow and about a 14". I had to make myself a 3/4" side pad for my seat to keep things tight. At 5' 11", 170 lbs. I'd try out a Pro as you may fit depending on your distribution.
No change in visibility. Entry and egress a bit tougher.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

skrzastek

Region: Blue Ridge Region
Car #: #91
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

pictures of install?

--------------------
#91 SSM

Rich Verified Driver

I don't have any good shots, but here's an album I made to sell the car with that has a couple interior shots

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v519/richbot/Spec%20Miata%20For%20Sale/

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

mghenwood

Region: Northeast
Car #: 58
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So what setup are you guys running? Sliders? Side-mounts? Using the stock rails or modifying?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Side mounts bolted to floor.

--------------------
LTD Racing

mghenwood

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok guys, I purchased the ProADV seat, and the sparco side-mount rails. I am having trouble getting the seat anywhere close to a mounting position. Has anyone cut the seat rail cross-member out, and the two rear mounting points which could help lowe the seat to the floor better?

Here are some pictures of the floor:
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/fxk142/Spec%20Miata/floor3.jpg
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/fxk142/Spec%20Miata/floor2.jpg

Any pictures of the seat mounting setup you guys have or of modified mounting would be helpful.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mghenwood:
Ok guys, I purchased the ProADV seat, and the sparco side-mount rails. I am having trouble getting the seat anywhere close to a mounting position. Has anyone cut the seat rail cross-member out, and the two rear mounting points which could help lowe the seat to the floor better?

Here are some pictures of the floor:
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/fxk142/Spec%20Miata/floor3.jpg
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/fxk142/Spec%20Miata/floor2.jpg

Any pictures of the seat mounting setup you guys have or of modified mounting would be helpful.

Yes, most of us have cut the factory seat mount 'bumps' out. Or more...

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Drill out the spot welds carefully. The drill bit is @ most well stocked auto parts stores. Bolt directly to floor with good hardware. Adjust with side-mounts. Clean, prime, paint all bare metal. Some use 1/4" flat stock to pick up load under car instead if individual "fender" washers. Have fun.

--------------------
LTD Racing

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Longo:
Drill out the spot welds carefully. The drill bit is @ most well stocked auto parts stores. Bolt directly to floor with good hardware. Adjust with side-mounts. Clean, prime, paint all bare metal. Some use 1/4" flat stock to pick up load under car instead if individual "fender" washers. Have fun.

Weld in additional supports or pay careful attention to backing plates below the floor. The floors on Miatas are barely more than tinfoil. The FIA seat was ripped from the floor in a serious accident last year at RA.

I agree that the 'spot-weld cutter' drill bit is the way to go.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

mghenwood

Has anyone thought of removing the front hump by drilling out the spot welds and then moving it closer toward the pedals and rewelding it back in for structural support? Just shift it forward so it clears the seat?

dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 2
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone try one of these seats in a SM. Seems like a good savings over some of those being touted? What layback would be good? 10%-20%???

http://www.racedaysafety.com/ultrashield-pro-vs-halo-seat.html

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: