Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » RV for towing.....what type?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: RV for towing.....what type?
Heritage Racing Group

Region: STEEL CITIES
Car #: 15
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just curious on what type or kind of RV would work to tow a 24 ft trailer and a specmiata w/th a small quad in the trailer. What is the least $ that will work well. Looking to save on hotels and maybe use with my family....any thoughts?

Thanks
Greg

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For that task you have a pretty broad choice but there are a lot of things that can steer you one way or another. A camper on a 350 chevy will sleep 4 people and tow a pretty big load over mountain passes if you don't mind going slow and you're close enough friends to be cooped up in a fart box for any length of time.

When thinking about getting an inexpensivish RV for the same use, I noticed most people don't treat them well. They often have water damage, bad plumbing or appliances and new motors after 40-60k miles. There are gems and mobile tenemants. [yep]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
[QB] For that task you have a pretty broad choice but there are a lot of things that can steer you one way or another. A camper on a 350 chevy will sleep 4 people and tow a pretty big load over mountain passes if you don't mind going slow and you're close enough friends to be cooped up in a fart box for any length of time.

this is what i downsized to from a 37' desiel pusher. i tow a 24' trailer. NEVER get a gasser for towing. deisel has more torque and gets ~ 2x the gas mileage.
I loved the motorhome, but the darned thing would break just sitting in the driveway, and nothing was cheap to fix. after about 2 years i got tired of having my motorhome budget be nearly the same as my car racing budget.
the other nice things about using a truck with the camper for the towing is repairs can be done almost anywhere. an RV has special parts, and even a flat tire can become a really big deal.
look into a company called torklift. they have extensions for towing with cabover campers on trucks.
i also use my camper for camping in the mountains, which my 37' RV wasnt really practical for gong into mountain roads.
hope that hepls a bit

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We just got an F250/camper to tow our 20' race trailer. It tows fine, and theres plenty of room for my dad and I.

I dont want to hijack this thread so maybe ill just ask a question and then just PM me a response so it doesnt get off topic from the original question.

Do any of you use "suspension helpers" on your trucks? The rear suspension tends to sag quite a bit (maybe just because the single wheel as opposed to dually?) but we bought a *Firestone Ride-Rite* system. Havn't installed it yet, just curious to see if you have any experience with them?

Thanks

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not really a direct answer to your question, but...

I don't have to maintain, clean, insure, maneuver, pump gallons of fuel into, store, or try to resell a hotel room. For the cost of most RV's I can rent rooms for the next 30 years and be $$$ ahead.

Getting a good nights rest away from the Saturday night at-track highjinks - priceless.

-Denny

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How much do you want to spend?

Some of the Meathead guys have really fancy motorhomes built on truck chassis (vs RV chassis) and can tow a lot.

Maybe Mike will chime in... I don't know a lot of the specifics but imagine they're $$$.

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just about all of the MEATHEAD Racing crowd bring our families to the track. It is not just about where you sleep but the quality of the experience during the day for the family and kids.

Most of ours will all tow 15,000#, Tim's will tow 40,000# We are getting ready to add a tractor to the fleet as well.

You get to write the interest off as it is a second home. You can also take it on other vacations (we have not).

I do race 25+ weekends a year, it is really nice not to have to pack to go to the track.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Getting a good nights rest away from the Saturday night at-track highjinks - priceless.

-Denny [/QB]

I used to think that until i tried sleep at the track.
its an entirely differernt race weekend experience. you are totaly immersed in the race weekend when you dont leave the track.
BBQ with freinds, and my alarm clock is a motor being started in the morning, not a room service phone call.
for me,camping at the track, and hanging with my freinds, comes in a close 2nd to the racing itself.

on my truck/cabover camper rig i put on air springs in the back, they helped level out the rig, but not completely.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-Denny [/QB][/QUOTE]I used to think that until i tried sleep at the track.
its an entirely differernt race weekend experience. you are totaly immersed in the race weekend when you dont leave the track.
BBQ with freinds, and my alarm clock is a motor being started in the morning, not a room service phone call.
for me,camping at the track, and hanging with my freinds, comes in a close 2nd to the racing itself.

+1

Some of us do this because it's fun. [yep]

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been looking into the RV thing as well for towing. The math will never work out in favor of an RV over a Hotel but bringing the Family and not having to pack up all the gear over and over has it's benefits. I just don't have the $$ to make the leap yet. If we got one, we'd use it probably more often to camp than to race. One that can tow 10,000#'s is pricy. Seems that Diesel is the way to go for sure.

Dan, I asked a similar question about the helper systems and was told about the Road Master Active Suspension system. I bought it and it works very well. I'm pulling a 28' Enclosed with 2 Miatas and lots of gear.

joe

--------------------
What does this button do??

actualsize

Region: San Diego
Year : 1990, 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for actualsize     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Before you can make any informed decision, you need to know the loaded weight of the trailer and the tongue weight. Do you know that?

Personally, I like the motorhome idea because I like hanging at the track overnight. But motorhomes and their long overhangs might not be the best towing choice if the trailer is heavy--the affordable ones, at any rate.

--------------------
Dan
http://www.insideline.com
http://www.edmunds.com

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Diesel !!!!!

I tried an old tired "Class A" with a Chevy 454 and it just did not work (and I only have a small open trailer). Sold the beast and got a diesel Suburban & will sleep in a tent if I gotta stay @ the track.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/2010%20brochures/SuperNova%202010%20Brochure%20LR.pdf

This is what several of us have.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Airlift makes kits for every vehicle to deal with overloaded rear springs. You can install onboard air if needed so you can pump it up at the touch of a button.

I'm with the hotel crowd after my first year of racing and to be honest, it kinda sucks. All my buddies sleep at the track and hang out at night together. When the Mrs isn't with me, I try to bunk in with one of them if possible. We'll probably look for a truck bed camper for my Ram 2500 in a year or two and an enclosed trailer to go along with it for the car and the gear I currently throw in the bed for every race weekend. My spares list is getting to the point where I can't fit all of it in the truck anymore.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you'll have to run the numbers, but selling that trailer and getting a gooseneck with living quarters is probably the cheapest option (buying used). i have a big tag-along and throw down an air mattress. works for me, but wouldn't for the family / wife. mine has a shower/toilet/sink but no real sleeping accomodations. separate living quarters trailers are fairly common and are sort of a mini-rv (heat/ac, hot water, shower and john, etc) and may work. also allows you to use a standard pickup...

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

SSCMAZDA3

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SSCMAZDA3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ahhhhh,
You and Trevor spoonin in your RV...........

How will you get to your favorite watering hole in Mansfield??

Rent one before you buck up and buy one, I did for the NASA nats at M-O and realized that it was not for me.

Dude, you get regular manicures and pedicures... there is no way in hell you will empty the shitter!!

--------------------
BRETT MARS
#05 T2 Mustang Shelby GT

The only heterosexual in Pittsburgh that is not a Steeler fan....

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/2010%20brochures/SuperNova%202010%20Brochure%20LR.pdf

This is what several of us have.

What recession? [Wink]

Brian Billey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC(42)
Car #: 43
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Billey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We all bought them before the recession. This is the reason the recession started. We did not have any money to spend on anything else. [laughing]

--------------------
Brian Billey
43 SM/SSM WDCR MARRS
1st SSM VIR 13hr 2008
1st SSM 12hr Summit Point 2009

Do RVs qualify for stimulus money?

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is another option, sell that box trailer and buy a toyhauler trailer. No where near the expense of a big RV, plus more flexible.

You will need a diesel pick up to tow but it's still usable when not towing the trailer. If you need to go to the parts store or town to get something, you can unhook and drive off and your trailer keeps your spot. Try that with an RV!

Our Fleetwood Gearbox isn't as fancy as the luxo RV's, but it does sleep 5 comfortably, has a master bedroom, full kitchen and bath and all the ammenities of a full size RV. They go for 30-45k new and you can find a nice used one or under 20k. Plus you can still write it off as a second home and use it to go camping, etc.

Another advantage is it has 12 inches of ground clearance and you can take it places you would never go with a box trailer.

If you want to go all out, some of the newer goseneck models have slide outs and are almost as nice as the big RV's.

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Greg:
I bought a 1990 37' Class A motor home six years ago with 37,000 miles on the clock. It now has about 52,000. I've (knock on wood) spent under $1,000 in maintenance and wouldn't race any other way.

The 454 can't doesn't exactly zip up steep grades, but for the most part, my track treks are made on flat to rolling terrain. BTW, I haul my SM on an open 1,800 lb trailer.

In addition to the convenience of having my food, shower, toilet, entertainment and comfy bed at the track, it hauls a ton of spare parts that stay in the compartments year round. Right now I'm in the market for a newer upgrade.
Rick
P.S. Contrary to my friend Denny's belief that it's cheaper staying in the hotel, that's only true if you go the big bucks route. My rig cost me $16k and is probably still worth $5-$8K. Amortizing that loss over six years comes to $1,583 per year. That's less than $150 per race weekend for me. Even with double the gas of towing with my Tahoe (and the $250 RV insurance), it's a great deal.

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Rick, It must be said that I definitely appreciated your hospitality, letting Deb and I warm-up in your RV last October at Mid-O (AM temps in the 20s).

-Denny

dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 2
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With RVs, it's a question of not buying more than you need. I bought a 91 Class C 18 foot RV a few years back for $13,000. Ford 460. Small enough to fit in a regular parking space and in a driveway. Other than tires, a battery and tune ups, its been trouble free. Did have to have a tuneup on the generator which is another thing in favor of motor homes. Having 110 power at the track. If the wife goes with me, it's more comfortable for her to travel and is easy to take to the motel. If I go alone, it's the right size for one person for the weekend.

Without the rear overhang, it handles the trailer tongue weight with no problem. I tow a 7 foot wide, 18 foot enclosed trailer that handles plenty of spares, scooters, ez-up, etc. The narrower trailer tows better behind the 8 foot wide MH. You just have to load the car with a winch or be thin enough to drive it in and get out through the window with the door open 6 inches.

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian,

I wondered if they had a toyhauler that could fit the Miata. Thanks for the tip. How do you fit the spares and other race gear? Is yours a triple axle TAG?

Anyone know what the minimum Class A you'd need to tow a 10,000# 28' trailer? I heard the 330HP cat is not enough?

Mike, Those Super C's are sweet! They seem to cost nearly as much as a couple year old Class A diesel pusher? Do they tow more or better?

Joe

--------------------
What does this button do??

MegaModerator

To tow with a class A diesel you need one with a tag axle.

The class c is easy to service and and tows 15 k easy.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have borrowed my friends Overland Express trailer which will carry the Miata in the back with tire rack, etc and has a couch (twin bed), dining table (double bed), stove, fridge/freezer, sink, shower and toilet. It is about 30-32 ft and we tow it with a GMC Sierra 2500HD diesel.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Heritage Racing Group

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

so...it sounds like the advice I got about getting a v10 gas powered c class on an E450 chasis is wrong. I would love to get something around 24ft.. maybe I should just worry about driving.

Thanks
Greg

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

having pulled with an e350 for 4 years, i'll never go back to anything based on the vans. the steering is just awful; wanders everywhere, huge dead spot on center. f series do it too, but i think the geometry makes it less annoying. recirc ball stinks.

mike's monstrosity is gorgeous, but a LQ trailer (or the toyhaulers like the weekend warriors) + dually is more flexible and less expensive IMO. maybe not quite as plush, but heat/ac, shower/sink/toilet, real bed... racingjunk.com is your friend [Smile]

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought my last 2 trailers on racingjunk. One was only a few miles from here and the other was across the state. Its worth joining.

Think real hard before getting a dually. They are harder to live with when not towing, and the jury is still out on if they are really required for big trailers.

My SRW gasser pulls 15k just fine.

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep, a 3-axle toyhauler with a turbo-diesel pickup, makes a nice compromise between a regular box trailer and a plush RV.

Get a Hensley Arrow tow hitch and a tag toyhauer and you don't need a dually, which means you can actually use the pick up on a regular basis if you want.

Add a cap to the pickup and you have plenty of room for tools, tires and spares. Plus there is lots of room in the trailer for storage, tires, etc.

Now if you really want a diesel dually or already have one, they make some really nice goose neck toyhaulers with slide outs.

Some great deals on used and new trailers and RV's out there now [Wink]

Heritage Racing Group

mike,
does the Kodiak chevy c5500 super c gas powered work? I see they come in both...gas and diesel. I found a decent deal on this gas super c Gulfstream....think it can tow 9k...does that seem right?

Greg

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Heritage Racing Group:
mike,
does the Kodiak chevy c5500 super c gas powered work? I see they come in both...gas and diesel. I found a decent deal on this gas super c Gulfstream....think it can tow 9k...does that seem right?

Greg

Yes, one of our Teammates has exactly that. He can tow a 24' enclosed no problem. He did from Maryland to Topeka for the runoffs one year. His gas mileage is a little worse and it does not quite have the torque, but the trade off in initial cost was huge.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: