» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Mystery cut out

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Mystery cut out
rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Took my 1.8 1994 to a track day yesterday at Laguna Seca. It has had pretty much everything done except a new motor. Current motor has at least 70K mi on it an runs fine. A smidge low on compression on one or two but strong running nonetheless.

1st session in the morning it ran well as usual. (70 degrees and sunny). Second session and the remaining sessions after that I would pull out on to the track (car was up to temp via idling for 15 min) and as soon as I stepped hard on the gas all power went away without the engine dyeing.Foot off gas and it would return to idle. Foot back on to gas at any level = zero power.I limped thru the 1st two turns hoping I can make it back to pits w/o a tow and by turn 3 it was back to normal running for thr remainder of the session. Any help on what should be looked at?
Thank you

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Vacuum leak?

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

New spark plugs after idleing for 15 minutes to warm it up. Then don't let it sit there idleing. The damage comes from the initial startup and if you have good oil in, just run from there, it will warm up alot quicker driving it than idleing. Extended idleing is usually one of the conditions that will put you into the severe service recommendation on your scheduled maintenance.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been struggling through a bunch of problems on my truck and it was doing the identical thing...

The temp sensor to the ECU may be going bad. If the engine is warm and the sensor says it's cold, wrong fuel to air mixture. The gauge will tell you nothing since on a Miata it runs off a different sensor. A vacuum leak could definately be it. Possibly a bad oxygen sensor but honestly I don't really know what they tell the computer, just that I had error codes for 2 of mine while trying to sort out my truck.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: