search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Air Bag Removal

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Air Bag Removal
Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okay. So the still intact airbag is out and sitting on the floor in the corner out of harms way. Now what? Can these be sold? If so where, how and estimated price? If not what is the best or recommended way to dispose of it. It's from a 91.

Much appreciated,
Jim

David Luney Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 29-Killed
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You could sell it on Craigslist. Lately 90-97 Bags are from $25 to $50. If the controler and battery pack are still good, they have as much or more market value.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've sold a lot of my 'left-overs' on CL, but no one bit on the airbag. I've been tempted to power-it-up to see what happens but I've got a hunch it would be a let-down.

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
I've sold a lot of my 'left-overs' on CL, but no one bit on the airbag. I've been tempted to power-it-up to see what happens but I've got a hunch it would be a let-down.

No, they go off rather impressively. Pretty big charge in those things. Make you think twice about having an explosive sitting in front of you. If you set it off, do be careful.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cool!

Hey y'all, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3c5gLUm9Rc

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We shot a few off here in the yard in the past. The early bags in like 93/94 seemed to have way too much kick. We set off a 94 galant bag, that thing shoyt 40 to 50 ft in the air.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When I built my DP Spyder, I donated both of my airbags to the fire dept for their "mock prom" days that they show "accident scenes" in front of the high school kids. I guess they popped a watermelon to show them why you need a seat belt along with the airbag.

That said, since the fire dept is a non profit organization...Tax Deduction!!!

Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow prices have come down. I built my SM a long long time ago and sold both bags from my '95 on ebay for $800. Legally you can't ship them without special permits, but I had several from various cars and I wrapped them in bubble wrap. Literally 30-40 feet of bubble wrap and packing tape in layers so if it went off it wasn't going to do much damage.

db

Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the info guys. Tracy, the fire department idea sounds like a good one. As for the video, the moment the bag started to explode the electricity in our area shut down. I kid you not. My first thought was what the heck did I do until I realized how quite the house was. Couldn't have timed it better in a movie.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: