Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » I must be a sucker for punishment...

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: I must be a sucker for punishment...
Mike Kelly

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Kelly     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So I "took your collective advice" and I'm pulling everything that isn't spec legal off this car and selling it. The header, the jackson racing CAI, the koni suspension setup.

Yea, I'm going to buy the suspension kit package, probably from Dave at Advanced_autosport and then I'll take the advice given and get the car to someone who can dyno and tune it for us. Although I'm under no illusion, and wasn't from the outset, the driving needs to improve, I have felt from the beginning that the car was down on power. So I guess we'll see where the car is. That was the original intent of the other thread. Just wanted to know where to look and what to change... But nevermind that... We've got a plan at least.

For those who posted in the other thread, I have a traqmate and have been running it.

Mike Kelly

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike, I know you are down in VA, but if you want to come up to Maryland we can help with the dyno tuning and initial chassis set up once you get all the parts on the car.

Feel free to call or shoot me an email if you need help or get stuck.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like a great start. You'll find people will bend over backwards to help you.

Keep your chin up,
George

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike everyone on here will be glad to help. I used the search function and spent a few months reading archives just so I would understand some of the issues. The traqmate will really help when you get a front runner's data and compare it with yours. Danny, Cliffie and others have taken my data and shown me where my driving was giving away precious seconds using my data from the traqmate and comparing it to theirs. What year car again?

--------------------
Paul McLester

Mike Kelly

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Kelly     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul, it's a 92.

Mike

Ken Wilkinson Verified Driver

Car #: 228
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you can make it down to VIR in 2 weeks for the NASA race you can talk to a lot of SM drivers about building and driving the car.
Just come for the day and write it off to R&D.

--------------------
Ken

Dawson

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dawson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike,

I'll be at the VIR NASA event. I'm in a similar position as you are. My car is not fully SM prepped, but it does have the SM susp. kit installed. I run the same tires as the SM's & race pads.

If you're there, come check me out. I'm in a white 96 w/ a red hard top, usually #11, b/c it's the easiest # to apply w/ painter's tape. It would be cool to talk to you about your car and compare our experiences on track.

I wouldn't know about lap times. Ummmmmm, DE's are not competitive events, right, right?

I've been reading the forum on this site for years as I've been building my car and experience together through DE's. It's been an invaluable resource for me. I don't say much, but I search a lot.

Ben Dawson

Mike Kelly

Unfortunately I'll be prepping another of my cars that weekend, and won't be able to drive down. I've scheduled a crew of "helpers" to assist in wrapping up an ST1 project car, so I'll be finishing that up.

Mike

Mike Kelly

Well we just sold all the "non-spec" parts off the car, and I just ordered everything to make the car speclegal.

Spec suspension kit from Dave at Advanced-Autosport, along with a SPi CAi, and I also ordered a Springfield Dyno Exhaust from Flatout motorsports...

Now we need to just get it all in and installed/ setup...

Mike

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did you go with Fat Cat bump stops or Miata?

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Mike Kelly

Fat Cats...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: