» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Fuel Jug Advice

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Fuel Jug Advice
rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I want to carry 2 or 3 Five gal jugs in the trailer and move them to the tow vehicle on the way to the hotel for the night to refill can I ask
1. What are the best unleaky bottles out there?
2. Is there a better way to accomplish avoidance of $5 gas?

Thanks in advance

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I ordered the Scribner square jugs from Saferacer and they work great. Also buy the D shaped anti-swirl funnel. Jegs has some for a few dollars cheaper. Run 87 octane from the cheapest pump source and don't buy at the track.

--------------------
Paul McLester

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the Scribner jugs, but the square VP jugs look pretty good to.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

Brian Holtz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Holtz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Depending on the state you are buying fuel in there maybe some restrictions on the color of the jug that you put fuel into. When I was buying it here in Pennsylvania I never had any problems, but in New Jersey where the attendent must fill the jug it needs to be a red container. I believe the same holds true for anyone getting fuel at New Jersey Motorsports Park.

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was just looking at the Scribner while you guys posted the above. As a newbie I'm assuming the 87 octane comment is akin to wanting your competition running 1/2 water 1/2 gas so that you can not have to worry about them beating you right? You don't seriously run the low octane stuff do you. (I'm on the left coast so won't be in your rear view mirror. )

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

PS Isn't it easier to deal with a 12 or 18" spout attached to the jug than with a funnel? Or do they all leak?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The spout won't fit into the car fuel filler unless you've enlarged it. A magic marker (the metal kind) will fit perfectly into the car fuel filler and into the plastic hose. That was an amusing discovery for me... I just have to run down to Lowes and buy a piece of tubing the exact size of the aluminum tube I'm holding in...my...hand. Douh!! Where's the tubing cutter? [Razz]

Those CA legal expensive jugs with the fast flow nozzel also won't fit into your fuel filler.

Tip...buy a color of jug you can read the gas level through.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The best, leak free gas can I have is the el-cheapo plastic can I got at the local hardware store in the lawnmower department. The fancy can I got from a racer supply company leaks like a mother-Fer.

Octane prevents detonation, it doesn't make more HP. Most people report making the most HP on the lowest octane fuel that doesn't let the motor knock.

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
The spout won't fit into the car fuel filler unless you've enlarged it. A magic marker (the metal kind) will fit perfectly into the car fuel filler and into the plastic hose. That was an amusing discovery for me... I just have to run down to Lowes and buy a piece of tubing the exact size of the aluminum tube I'm holding in...my...hand. Douh!! Where's the tubing cutter? [Razz]

Those CA legal expensive jugs with the fast flow nozzel also won't fit into your fuel filler.

Tip...buy a color of jug you can read the gas level through.

That's why you get the VP Fuels filler cap instead of the Scribner one. It has a plastic insert on the end for the screw on cap and it fits in tank opening perfectly.

--------------------
Chris

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Interesting tips here. Thanks guys. I'm curious tho if that is the case with octane why the obsessive use of expensive fuels by the leaders of the pack??

I guess I've just hijacked my own thread.

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's not the octane, it's the chemistry.

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Chris
I am curious because I'd like to avoid the always crappy funnel...,
the VP has a filler cap that actually fits into the Miata? Can you actually get gassed without spilling with the below jug?
Thank you
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/pitposse_2094_37559898

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

rhart~ It's going to take some technique to not spill fuel. With a full jug, it likes to leak out the breather hole when you tip it to pour. I can do it pretty quick now without spilling any but it requires starting slow. I'm thinking about making a breather tube for mine so I can just tip the can and let it pour full speed. It's one reason a lot of people like the funnel.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We use the Metal Jerry Cans , they seal tight. We also use a big funnel and filter that fits in the funnel, you don't need a spout then.

pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used a Dremel tool to remove the unleaded fuel restrictor. Now the tube from my hardware store gas can fits right down in. No funnel needed.

On a related subject, I was talking with a safety steward about extinguisher's while refueling. I mentioned sometimes I forget to bring one so I just use the one from my inside car. That did not impress him. [shame] He mentioned it needs to be a 10BC or better. That's 10 square feet of flammable liquid. The stewards don't usually go around checking, but apparantly that's what we're supposed to have.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
why the obsessive use of expensive fuels by the leaders of the pack
What Wheel said. We ain't talking pump gas here, the expensive stuff has oxygenating compounds and other nasty additives that give it the extra 'pop'.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a fuel nozzle that fits on the common scribner jugs that is sort of like a dry break.

It is machined aluminum and has an internal hose that acts as a vent.

I can hold the can upside down and it won't leak. I use the weight of the gas to push the collar down and start filling. Lift up a little and it stops.

You need to remove the flapper to make it work, but you don't need to gut the whole thing.

I bought it from a local race supplier and it is the best $100 I've spent. At the time I was sharing the car and running 3 groups, so we had to refuel right off the scales while suited up and never spilled a drop.

ChrisA

quote:
Originally posted by rhart:
Chris
the VP has a filler cap that actually fits into the Miata? Can you actually get gassed without spilling with the below jug?
Thank you

I'm able to fill mine without spilling or gas coming from the vent hole. I have had them dribble a few times though from the cap area. Each time I was able to stop this by removing the cap screwing it down again. Seems every now and then they don't screw down as well as you think. Never had the top leak while transporting the fuel.

--------------------
Chris

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Holtz:
Depending on the state you are buying fuel in there maybe some restrictions on the color of the jug that you put fuel into. When I was buying it here in Pennsylvania I never had any problems, but in New Jersey where the attendent must fill the jug it needs to be a red container. I believe the same holds true for anyone getting fuel at New Jersey Motorsports Park.

Last year at NJMP, they did fill the clear jugs for us, but they wouldn't fill a blue (diesel) jug with gas.

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Scott Zetterstrom Verified Driver

Region: WDCR
Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Zetterstrom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
The best, leak free gas can I have is the el-cheapo plastic can I got at the local hardware store in the lawnmower department.
+1

I removed the flapper in the filler neck to allow the spout to fit in. This fills relatively slowly but I can put the can on the trunk lid while it's filling so I don't need to hold it. It rarely leaks, but if it does it doesn't leak on me.

--------------------
#13 SSM
ME Solutions LLC
Windsor Customs Racing
PBC Automotive

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make sure to place your jugs on the ground and out of the p/u bed when you fill them ay the station.. they should be grounded just in case..I use the VP's without the flapper, just loosen the vent and invert fully. it won't leak out of the vent unless you try to pour it in slowly. I can empty a 5.5 gal jug in about 45 sec.. erc has been oulawed here in the west. At least SFRegion.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I found yellow 5GAL cans at Walmart for around $12 each. They've got the fancy push-for-flow nozzles and they work great when turned upsidedown while filling, never leaked on me yet. I bought yellow because I've found it stays cooler than the red cans in direct sunlight. I got them both filled in the hood about 5 minutes from NJMP last year.

I used to have the square bottomed tall cans with the huge screw-on caps that everyone seems to have now but they didn't fit under a closed tonneau cover in my truck so I sold them and got the Walmart units.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

erc ?

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I strongly suggest you get the biggest JUGS you can, Why am i the first person that had to go there.

Stay away from the JUGS they sell at JEGGS, they are china specials 3 out of the 5 I have gone through had a leak. Ever go to the gas station and fill your truck, car, and then your fuel cans and on the last one find you have a pin hole leak. That is interesting when you are stuck holding your finger in the dike.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The scribner jugs have the threaded plug where you can put a spout. I use the funnel because it is quick and easy with no spills. I have friends that run the PBOC enduro that have clear 5 gal jugs with a large diameter plastic hose with a ball valve in the middle to dump fuel quickly. Make sure you open the vent flap in the summer as they will expand in the heat. Search octane and fuel type on here and you will get an idea of fuel issues. There was a thread in the northwest that started about 100 octane availability and then hijacked into what types to run.

--------------------
Paul McLester

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

rhart,I started a post several days ago in this section on running ethanol gas or non ethanol 93 and the topic drifted slightly to running 87 or 93 octane. More people are starting to run 87 octane in 1.6L engines. I want to start a poll on who runs 87 octane and what timing they are running. A common theme is to run 16-18 degrees some run slightly less like 14 and some do not know they just tune on the dyno and never check it. I have always run hi test because of my timing but I am going to test 87 on the dyno.

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ERC is a $30 gas that was run here in the 1.8's a couple of years ago. nasty stuff. we could not touch the 1.8's with that stuff.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Chris
Thank you

ChrisA

quote:
Originally posted by rhart:
Chris
Thank you

I've never used that jug, so I don't know if the vent placement causes problems or not. I use the Scribner jug, but use the VP Delux Hose on the cap. http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page469715.html
I would imagine you could get spillage with either one if you tip the jug too much too soon. I don't so I don't have any problems.

--------------------
Chris

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had pretty good luck with the Scribner jugs, but I prefer using the funnel - with the metal screen filter installed. You'd be amazed what winds up sitting on top of that filter that would otherwise be in your tank.

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How many jugs do you guys generally tote around with you (I assume you're using the 5 gal. variety)?

--------------------
Brian

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Something no one talks about is the fact that the fuel cans need to be DOT approved for transportation in a truck or trailer. A friend of mine had his rig impounded for not having a commercial license (drivers). Also, the fuel cell in the race car had to be drained, yep, fuel cell not DOT approved to transport fuel.

J

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Pack Fodder

Brian,
3 will usually do the trick but it depends on the schedule. I have 1 session's worth of gas in the tank already and bring one full jug for each additional session on the busiest day. A 20 min practice won't take a full jug but I'd rather have too much. If you run ITA and SM or Regionals and Nats, you could have 4 sessions in a day. At PR, you can always run down the street to get more but at PIR if you run out you're either scrounging it from neighbors or buying the spendy stuff at the track.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TillerTech:
Something no one talks about is the fact that the fuel cans need to be DOT approved for transportation in a truck or trailer. A friend of mine had his rig impounded for not having a commercial license (drivers). Also, the fuel cell in the race car had to be drained, yep, fuel cell not DOT approved to transport fuel.

J

Let me guess- this happened in the People's Republik of Kalifornia? [duck] [Wink]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Pressman:
I've had pretty good luck with the Scribner jugs, but I prefer using the funnel - with the metal screen filter installed. You'd be amazed what winds up sitting on top of that filter that would otherwise be in your tank.

Yeah, I had one of those fuel jug rubber gaskets break up and fall into my tank last year. I heard about it after the fact. It very quickly turned to a gummy substance and clogged the fuel pump filter screen and ruined a double national weekend.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

If using a Scribner or VP jug to avoid the problem Bruce speaks of above could one just but a few jugs and an 18" nozzle for each one? If stored well with a plug in the end of the tube the gas shouldn't slop out should it?

Pack Fodder

It shouldn't slop out but I'm not a fan of transporting gas in the back of a rig like that.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Ditto. I'm thinking I would fill the car and jugs in town before going out to the track.

TillerTech

Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pat,

no, actually it happened in Arizona. They were on the way to Topeka Ks. for a Nat qual race.

The FHMSA has some pretty stupid regulations on licensing and limits which are 48 state wide.

After Daves altercation, I got rid of the 15k# trailer and downsized.

John

PS. that's La Kal-If-ornia

--------------------

Sometimes it isn't the rules...it is the moron who stops you that determines the outcome. The containers are actually specified by the Haz Mat Board of the DOT and per OSHA you can transport gasoline (Class III combustible liquid) in a 1-5 gal safety container with vent or in metal drums up to 60 gals. The amount you can carry is determined by state law...Calif is 10 gal total, New York State is 20 gal. Under Federal law you do not need a CDL and HazMat unless you are transporting 3 or more drums, >119 gals, or >1001 lbs of fuel with no limit on diesel.

--------------------
Paul McLester

TillerTech

The key to transporting fuel is like Paul says, stay under the max amount and use an approved container. I like the Scribner jugs, mine are not DOT approved, >5 years old.

It was not the fuel that impounded the rig, it was the trailer cap/ licensing issue, the fuel cell was just a formality.

J

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: