Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Poll 87 or 93 octane

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Poll 87 or 93 octane
cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently realized some 1.6 owners are running regular gas in their 1.6L miatas in SM. This reduces the cost of gas and some have said it increases power over using hi-test. I would like to know how many people are using regular (87) gas and what timing they set the engine at. Here in florida it gets really hot and having a stock radiator, never thought it was possible to use regular gas even though the car was designed too on the hyway.

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can we do another poll for 1.8 or is it pretty much the same?

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The poll is probably not going to be helpful because it doesn't say which octane you are running at which timing(eg 93 octane at 14 deg). You are also going to get people who have just ran one or the other just because and have no imperical data to prove why it is better or worse...

Just my $.02

Kyle

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You should talk to Jamie Tucker and Steve Scheifler who have both done all of the dyno testing.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

87 octane 14 degrees of timing is what worked best on my dyno (1.6). 93 octane seemed to loose a bit of horsepower although it was very slight and may have been due to run variations. It was a back to back test with my 1.6 draining the tank in between. Of course my 99 had the same results (about 1 hp less). I never had a detonation or preignition problem of any kind nor have I had any of my engines fail while using 87 octane. The only thing that 93 octane got me was a little less beer money. Now if you want to talk about race fuel (not just any race fuel) that is a different issue.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

91 is premium in california. Choice of 87, 89, or 91 at most regular pumps and 91 is uaually the minimum at the track pumps. No vote here.

cintibob

Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was just trying to get an idea of how many people were running regular. Could be 87-89 for regular and 91-93 for hi test. If I can run the cheaper reg. and gain or stay even in horsepower, great. Race gas is a waste of money in my 1.6. I set the timing as I did in the poll because the odds are more advance for the higher octane even though the constructors manual suggests 14 degrees as default alot of people on this site talk 16 or 18 and I did not know how else to set it up. I only heard of 1.6L's running reg. If 1.8L cars want to chime in I thought they can post like rhart did and state what they use and timing setup. Jamie is the first person I heard of that runs reg. gas and he runs at or near the front in cfr.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
87 octane 14 degrees of timing is what worked best on my dyno (1.6). 93 octane seemed to loose a bit of horsepower although it was very slight and may have been due to run variations. It was a back to back test with my 1.6 draining the tank in between. Of course my 99 had the same results (about 1 hp less). I never had a detonation or preignition problem of any kind nor have I had any of my engines fail while using 87 octane. The only thing that 93 octane got me was a little less beer money. Now if you want to talk about race fuel (not just any race fuel) that is a different issue.

My results are the exact opposite? Must be different gas in different reasons. [scratchchin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So Jim...what were your results?

--------------------
Paul McLester

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I try to dyno and race on Sunoco 100 or similar whenever possible, mostly for consistency. The gas you get out of the consumer pump can be real crap. I'm okay with that in my BMW, but hate putting it in my racecar [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Couple things:

Premium pump gas is usually 20 cents more than regular. SO if you use 20 gallons per weekend, you save/waste $4.00

Pump gas varies wildly from town to town, and week to week. Up north we have winter gas, spring/fall gas and summer gas. We race in Wisconsin and Illinois, different state requirements. And downtown Milwaukee, near the Milwaukee Mile, has emmissions gas. My point, what works best today, may not work best tomorow.

When I have 15 cars at the track, I can't supply 93 for some guys, 89 for others and race gas to a few. So I get local premium (to have a margine of error)and everybody gets the same unless they are on race gas.

Race gas is nice because it is consistent. Tune the engine to it today, and it should stay the same for the next tank of fuel.

Very few cars make good dyno numbers with more than 16* or less than 12* of timing. And the variations between 12 and 16 are fairly small. Unless you have been on the dyno, go 14 and leave it alone.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:

Race gas is nice because it is consistent. Tune the engine to it today, and it should stay the same for the next tank of fuel.
Dave

Yup. I used 100 octane most of 2008 for this reason, with timing and fuel tuned for it. Last year I experimented a little more, with the same tune changing to 93 octane didn't seem to matter nearly as much as the weather.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here in Brazil where I am this week, the local gas company knows how to market to its race obsessed country. They have three grades, "Regular", "Super" and "PODIUM"!!!

I'll take 20 Gallons of PODIUM every weekend, thank you very much!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
So Jim...what were your results?

The exact opposite [Razz]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

cintibob

At some tracks, like Sebring, when you get the 93 octane it contains no ethanol. Jim and jamie have you noticed a difference in tune or horsepower in non ethanol gas? I hear if you run ethanol you must run richer.

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cintibob:
At some tracks, like Sebring, when you get the 93 octane it contains no ethanol. Jim and jamie have you noticed a difference in tune or horsepower in non ethanol gas? I hear if you run ethanol you must run richer.

i've seen what the ethanol can do to fuel cells and heard about it's affect on robber fuel lines and O rings.

in my ITB/C CRX, i ran 93 octane pump gas and 100 gallon race fuel. i cant recall much of a difference on either. i've not been in the SM enough, just ran 93.

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

91 - 14deg in cali

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: