Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » F1 spoiler/ what do you think on no refueling?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: F1 spoiler/ what do you think on no refueling?
Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Watched the race today... I have to say, I liked F1 better with the fuel stops. F1 was pretty boring before, I think it is going to get worse. Had Vettels car not lost a header, it would have been one of the most boring races in F1 imo.

Not a Schumacher fan,but pretty impressive.. He will be good again soon. I think Rossberg was the biggest beneficiary of Scumy coming back. He has always destroyed his team mates, but never seemed all that motivated in the races, like he knew he had a mid pack car and drove it that way.Schumy will keep him motivated.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree that refueling really takes away from the strategy.

It was sort of boring, in fact, I was filling out paper work for my drivers school starting on thursday while watching the race.

Although he is 41, Schumi can be a front runner. I believe him when he says he isnt happy with the car. He claims too much understeer(too bad he hasnt driven my mazda 3, then he'll really know what understeer is).

After all, he did lay down a dirty time on top gear in his FXX. 7 seconds faster than the fastest car ever tested on their track.

We'll just have to wait and see what the season brings.

Scottie

PS. I will try to use some of Alonsos driving skills at my drivers school, shouldnt be tooo hard hahha

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I found myself more excited to watch the tire changers than watching to see how much fuel they put in.

I think for people wanting to have more passing they completely screwed up when they went with smaller tires to balance the cars front to rear. They should have gone to fatter tires and smaller wings front and rear + ground effects.

All-in-all, half the fun of watching for me is to listen to see what David Hobbs is going to say next...that and the technical analysis of Matchett.

The guy I predicted would win the championship won this race. I think he is the best overall driver there, close with Hamilton and Vettel (and Schumacher of course but we'll see how he progresses). It will be exciting to see how the young fast guys do. I wish Sutil and Hulkenberg had better rides.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms:

All-in-all, half the fun of watching for me is to listen to see what David Hobbs is going to say next...that and the technical analysis of Matchett.

So true, they really are a great team...

Did you hear Hobbs today... Bob Varsha" Can you tell me why there is no name on the side of that car?" Hobbs says" well thats because no one is sponsoring it Bob." [Big Grin]
Matchett may be the sharpest technical commentator in motor sports.

That one year Varsha did commentate and Rick Debruehl did the broadcasts, it was painful.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Niklas Falk

Region: Sweden
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Niklas Falk   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

To make the pit-stops more challenging and entertaining, what about a reduced set of people working around the car, only one impact gun, ...

One could argue (in the FIA marketing material at least) that it also reduce the cost... [Smile]

Shorter tracks and maybe some rain will make it better. All the best F1 experiences I have had in my couch have been watching rain-races.
Perfect races in perfect conditions is almost as boring as oval racing without yellows and no drafting (e.g. only 15 cars running).

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Incredibly boring race! Last night on Wind Tunnel Varsha said that the teams have asked Bridgestone to make even softer compounds so that tire wear will be a factor in strategy. The idea was that with full tanks and soft tires that tire strategy would do what refueling did last year. Pretty sad that the only way to pass someone is with a quicker pit stop......sound like Nascar?

--------------------
Paul McLester

Scottie

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 on the commentary. I dont know if you guys caught them say it, but during qualifying the camera closed in on a quite an attractive girl. and I believe Bobb said "I dont know her name, but I sure would like to" hahaha

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Pretty sad that the only way to pass someone is with a quicker pit stop......sound like Nascar?

Not a big NASCAR fan, but they certainly pass on the track as well.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wasn't saying that they don't pass on the track in Nascar, just saying that they tend to swap positions on pit stops a lot more than we have ever seen in Formula 1 without a fueling rig problem.

--------------------
Paul McLester

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The grid girls should have worn burkas.

Infidels!

(I'd pay $100 for Hobbs to say boogity, boogity, boogity when the lights go off)

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

that and the technical analysis of Matchett.

you are kidding right?

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:

Is that saying anything at all? Any "technical commentator" on TV is to lame to get a real job in motor sports

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
quote:

Is that saying anything at all? Any "technical commentator" on TV is to lame to get a real job in motor sports
Tard
He worked at Bennetton for years on Schumachers car when he won the world championship? He doesnt drive a 99, take it easy on the guy! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Niklas Falk:
To make the pit-stops more challenging and entertaining, what about a reduced set of people working around the car, only one impact gun, ...

One could argue (in the FIA marketing material at least) that it also reduce the cost... [Smile]

Shorter tracks and maybe some rain will make it better. All the best F1 experiences I have had in my couch have been watching rain-races.
Perfect races in perfect conditions is almost as boring as oval racing without yellows and no drafting (e.g. only 15 cars running).

I totally agree, they allow 18, that's right 10 + 8 guys in the pit stall.... ARE YOU KIDDING!!!
One guy for each tire, 2 guys just to jack the car, one lollipop guy... as far as I can tell that adds up to 7.... what the heck are the other 11 guys doing... maybe I don't want to know....

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In a semi-related story, the brazilian indy car race was alot more interesting despite the red flags for spins in the rain. (hijack, sort of....)

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

99 all the way!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

He was in a championship winning team and the guy knows his stuff. He is unapologetically nerdy and excited about technical improvements and I don't know how he does it but he notices the weirdest things. I wouldn't say he's the best technical commentator out there (I have seen tech guys notice the most amazing things in all sports...things I would have never noticed myself) but I think he's part of what makes F1 entertaining for me. If I had to watch F1 with Derek Daly and those other guys they had on CBS a few years ago, I would not watch it.

Someone I wouldn't mind watching host for a bit would be Murray Walker. It seems he always says the most interesting things. http://www.worldmotorsport.com/murray/

--------------------

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
The grid girls should have worn burkas.

Infidels!

(I'd pay $100 for Hobbs to say boogity, boogity, boogity when the lights go off)

I'd pay $100 to NEVER hear b, b, b, again. I always hit mute at the start of the fox nascar coverage. F1 might get more interesting, as the year progresses. I think there will be more (different) race winners than last season.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Tard
He worked at Bennetton for years on Schumachers car when he won the world championship? He doesnt drive a 99, take it easy on the guy! [Big Grin]

so long ago and as a tire changer and his only claim to fame is a crappy book (very short) and a fire

--------------------

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I like the no fueling, those guys were trying way to hard to get out as fast as possible and the error rate was increasing. It was only a matter of time before someone got seriously hurt or killed from a fire. The team bosses wanted to beat each other more then keep their crews alive, this takes one serious accident waiting to happen out of their hands.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tard

so long ago and as a tire changer and his only claim to fame is a crappy book (very short) and a fire
So what's your claim to fame? (Being The Tard doesn't count [Razz] )

--------------------

Scottie

lance,
you got a good point. The fueling was def an accident waiting to happen. On the flip side, now it is a race to put the tires on... in 2 seconds... that too is an accident waiting to happen. When there was fueling, the pit stop would take longer. thus allowing the pit crew to make sure the wheels are on right. Now there is no time to check that

just my 2

Scottie

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
In a semi-related story, the brazilian indy car race was alot more interesting despite the red flags for spins in the rain. (hijack, sort of....)
I wouldn't know. DirecTV dropped Versus halfway through last season. [Mad]

Brian Linn Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cal Club
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Linn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
F1 might get more interesting, as the year progresses. I think there will be more (different) race winners than last season.

I was glad to see the parity between the teams. It's hard to tell who is going to be fast after pre-season testing and I hate to see one team dominate (like Brawn did at the start of last season). With all the changes (Alonso to Ferrari, Schumacher back, Button to McLaren, the new teams) it had the chance to be one of the most intriguing years, but it may be too boring to watch. I may only watch qualifying....

quote:
quote:
+1

--------------------
Brian Linn
2007 Mark Donohue award winner

Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Scottie:
lance,
you got a good point. The fueling was def an accident waiting to happen. On the flip side, now it is a race to put the tires on... in 2 seconds... that too is an accident waiting to happen. When there was fueling, the pit stop would take longer. thus allowing the pit crew to make sure the wheels are on right. Now there is no time to check that

just my 2

Scottie

And in some cases they were still getting the wheels wrong. The risk factor is still the same from the tires standpoint, the crew still tries to change them as fast as possible. Only thing refueling ensured was a pretty good uptick in the chance of fire.

--------------------

Scottie

yeah your right. racing is racing. do everything as fast as possible.

So did you guys see what the mclarens have. that little intake on the nose of the car, that the driver can block with his knee from the cockpit to stall the air going over the rear wing. which gives about 6 mph top speed. freakin insane

--------------------

99 all the way!

quote:

So did you guys see what the mclarens have. that little intake on the nose of the car, that the driver can block with his knee from the cockpit to stall the air going over the rear wing. which gives about 6 mph top speed. freakin insane

Yep, I'm waiting to read on planetf1 something to the effect of "FOTA complains to FIA about McClaren moveable aerodynamic device" [Big Grin]

--------------------

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

Yep, I'm waiting to read on planetf1 something to the effect of "FOTA complains to FIA about McClaren moveable aerodynamic device" [Big Grin]
It was protested last week and deamed legal by the FIA

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Scottie

who hell thinks of that stuff.

looks like ill be cutting a hole in my hood and the firewall by my left knee in the miata tonight hahahah

--------------------

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Softening the tire compound will solve the snoozer of a race issue. Right now the tires are so hard they can pretty much last the entire race. They need to be soft enough that you HAVE to run two stops to be competitive with three being a possible advantage. Also agree that they should restrict the number of "men over the wall".

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The quickest fix would require 2 stops. It would end the strategy of taking it easy on the tires in an effort to avoid a 2nd stop. Soft to start, Hard for middle stint and back to soft for the gloves off finish.

Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tard

So what's your claim to fame? (Being The Tard doesn't count [Razz] )
I am not on TV as a "expert"

--------------------

NV Racer Verified Driver

Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
I'd pay $100 to NEVER hear b, b, b, again. I always hit mute at the start of the fox nascar coverage.

What irritates me about Fox's coverage is the wasted space on my DVR. Green flag is almost an 1 1/2hrs into the coverage. I do not need to hear all those story lines and fluff pieces etc..

Dennis

Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by misterwaterfallin:
quote:
quote:

It was protested last week and deamed legal by the FIA
Which is should be, it is not moveable in the slightest. The driver is the one moving. That's some clever engineering.

--------------------

Necio

Region: 19
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Necio     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

"..that little intake on the nose of the car, that the driver can block with his knee from the cockpit to stall the air going over the rear wing. which gives about 6 mph top speed"

Ferrari also that little intake. I wondered what that was for.

I really enjoyed the race. I could not take watching NASCAR anymore. I felt relieved after a winter of discontent in politics. This is a refreshing change. 2010 is going to be a wonderful F1 year. Ten drivers could easily be the 2010 F1 champion. The competitive levels of all teams is very high and we (the spectators) are the beneficiaries of this intense competition.

R

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's Bernie's fix...shortcuts...lol...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-ecclestone-again-proposes-short-cuts/

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
It's back as of today!

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Administrator

The other thing that is forgotten is that new section of track that whoever is in charge of that place added. It was 9 turns in 1/2 mile, not conducive to keeping a field of cars close to each other.. and it was bumpier then hell to boot.

--------------------

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Boo on no fuel stops. Yay no fireballs in the pits. Tire changes seem relatively "safe" but I have a feeling the speed of execution will lead to some clipped tire changers as other teams leave the pits. Safer probably, but still a contact sport.

Alonso obviously better than Massa at driving junk, probably because he drove junk last season. That's called saving the car for the end, Mr. Head Trauma. This comment based on the fact that all of the cars were probably junk due to huge compromises forced on them by the 300lb!!! starting fuel load. Imagine if you had to start an SM race with 600lbs of ballast, 1/3 of which is a 200lb passenger who tosses the ballast out of the car in 10lb increments and then finally jumps out of the car on the last lap. Hey, that could actually be kinda fun...

Bahrain track is carp. Only reason it's there is because half the F1 community has a tax shelter nearby.

Vettel is a rockstar. Too bad RBR insists on using surrender engines.

People like us are the ones who are supposed to support road racing and F1 in this country, and all we do is bitch. No wonder nobody wants to take the plunge! [Razz]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
And Versus is back as of tonight!! Woohoo!

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Excellent. I wrote three letters to DirectTV about VS. I guess I will have to write another one, thanking them for bringing it back.
wheel

quote:
Bahrain track is carp
That sounds kinda fishy.

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe they should make the drivers solve a riddle during the pit stop and they can't leave until it's right? That would give the tire changers plenty of time and possibly even up the racing.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
What does this button do??

99 all the way!

quote:
Originally posted by jbenoit28:
Maybe they should make the drivers solve a riddle during the pit stop and they can't leave until it's right? That would give the tire changers plenty of time and possibly even up the racing.

[Big Grin]

I once watched a gymkhana where the drivers had to get out of the car, eat a marzipan (powdery peanut candy) and whistle. In another stop, they had to drink a small Coke in a bottle. That would make things interesting.

--------------------

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Irl race was way better, but man that track was bumpy. Simona De Silvertro ran with one of Hoovers" MX5 good cup cars at Miller with us a couple of years ago. She did go for a couple of laps. Nice kid..At least there was passing.. F1 is a bore.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I about fell out my chair when I saw Indy Car racing had been recorded on my Tivo now that VS is back on Direct TV. Thank god for season passes. What a crash fest though.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[ 03-16-2010, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Mike888 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: