Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Springfield Dyno question -

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Springfield Dyno question -
W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just installed the springfield dyno exhaust this past week. Car sure sounds different...I like it! Is there other "tuning" which needs to be done to maximize the benefits of the exhaust.

And maybe someone could give me a tutorial on the benefits of the springfield system. What exactly is it doing and how does that help performance?

Thanks -

Bill
'91 SM #38

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bill,

For now just rest assured you have pretty much the best exhaust you can get without spending thousands in R&D to get another HP, which you'll never know because that is within the noise range of dynos.

Once you closer to mid-pack, you can go get your car tuned on the dyno to make sure you have the correct timing and A/F to get the most of your car with the new stuff.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dyno time is the best money you can spend on your SM after a significant change in how it breathes, IMO. But you're not going to blow it up without it or anything like that. Still, instead of waiting till you get to a certain point in the field, dyno it and make sure you get the benefit of the exhaust and possibly pick up those positions right away! You'll get the added benefit of knowing where you stand with respect to everyone else. That can lead to better driving.

A wise (and slightly insane) SM guy once told me "You can only get so much out of a car before you fly off the track. "

Words to live by

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Actually I agree with Rich. I never bought into that wait until you're faster crap, but it's the "generally accepted" thing to say for a novice, so I said it [Smile]

Also good to get a baseline dyno done for you car, so you know when to worry about being down on power, and when it's just all in your head.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's what I'm really getting at. Nothing stops you from overdriving a car and generally being a terror on track faster than knowing, 100%, whether you're at a disadvantage power wise or not. It's the one thing you can't usually fix at the track.

<- Guilty of this back in the day. Probably still am. "Fix yo' junk!"

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Running an original motor with 122,000 and more than likely original injectors, I know my HP numbers are likely pretty low, but other than running a tad rich it actually runs pretty well.

Judging from my first official SM weekend, it would appear that 2.5 seconds or so a lap will get me toward the middle of the pack. Doesn't seem impossible with a bit more boost from the exhaust system, having the injectors cleaned, etc, and setting up the suspension where it needs to be with the addition of the 99 hats and FC bumpstops....

And, of course, more seat time. I know my car was under prepped for my first race. Need to get the car handling better and then I can figure out what the HP numbers are like. So many things I can do before worrying too much about HP or the lack thereof!

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by W. Bonsell:
And, of course, more seat time. I know my car was under prepped for my first race. Need to get the car handling better and then I can figure out what the HP numbers are like. So many things I can do before worrying too much about HP or the lack thereof!

That's the ticket I think, Bill. A number of people watched and critiqued what I was doing last year and often it came down to things like how I drove T12 at PIR probably cost me 1-2 seconds down the straight. Nailing the important turns will shave more time than anything you do to the motor.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Keith -
How right you are regarding corners. Having been on track at Portland only once, and that was in my Boxster, some corners did give me fits. Early on it was the 4-5-6 complex (driving on the bumpstops sure made the car difficult in that section).

And turn 10 sure puckered my cheeks. Not sure I ever developed the gonads to truly commit to that corner the way the "kids" did it...And am not sure if I ever developed any consistency with 7.

I am sure I left several seconds out there but certainly am looking forward to returning and seeing if I am up to the challenge - feel 1:34's are achievable if the driver and suspension are up to the task!

I would imagine in SM, HP is overrated and suspension and seat time is the ticket!

I know I will drive faster just because my new Springfield Dyno exhaust sounds like I HAVE to go faster, right?

Hope to meet up with you soon Keith -

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: