» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Trailer dollies

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Trailer dollies
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Passing on a little tidbit I learned on these little devices...

Since I live at the end of a narrow, crooked, unlit one lane private road that's tricky to back into in the dark and that has nowhere to turn around, I decided to try out a manual trailer dolly for my 16 ft open trailer. My driveway itself is pretty wide. Driving straight in and just turning the trailer around to park it next to my garage sounded very nice and stress free.

The Harbor Fright trailer dolly is rated for a 600# tongue weight which is more than sufficient. Can you can actually maneuver 2000# a trailer with one of these things and turn it around in a pretty small space solo? Yes, indeed you can. It probably only takes slightly more effort than pushing the tow rig uphill yourself. [fight]

Just thought I'd pass that along before anyone else gets the same idea.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Have you tried putting a hitch on your front bumper?
You're then going forward, looking out your windshield and closer to your trailer to see what your doing.
[twocents]
J~

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***I decided to try out a manual trailer dolly for my 16 ft open trailer.***

Two axle trailer? [help]

Another option depending on what you tow with is to put a hitch on the front of your tow vehicle. [thumbsup]

EDIT:
Oop's I was a little slow. [yep]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use an electric trailer dolly to push a 24' enclosed trailer around my property. Couldn't live without it. Parking the trailer and turning it around is just not possible without the dolly as the space is very tight. With the dolly I can put the trailer exactly where I want it. The trailer is probably around 4500 lbs without the car in it.

I've used the hf dolly to push around a 2 axle 18' open trailer (empty). It works fine until you try and turn the trailer. Then the tire scrub takes over and makes it impossible to move the trailer. Moving the trailer in a straight line wasn't much of a problem though.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How do those electric dollies handle hills? Can they provide 12v to the trailer brakes?

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rich,

Regarding hills, the dolly can handle some pretty substantial stuff. They make a number of different sizes capable of moving some pretty big trailers. As long as you have enough tongue weight so the dolly has traction reasonable slopes aren't an issue. I wired up my trailer brakes and trailer battery using a 7 pin trailer plug to a toggle switch on the dolly for brake control but haven't needed to use it yet.

I have an AC5 but with a 1/2 hp motor from Powermover Inc:

http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html

There are other manufacturers out there now. Not the case when I bought mine around 5 years ago. At the time the AC5 was the biggest one available.

--------------------
Mark

Rich Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Interesting. I have a pretty substantial hill to deal with and my truck is too big to maneuver safely in the place on my property that I want to store my trailer on. It's the only place I think I could get away with storing and not have PO'd neighbors.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

I'd give Brady at Powermover a call. He can tell you what will work or not with your hills and trailer size. He also has a pretty liberal policy regarding trialing a dolly IIRC.

--------------------
Mark

Rich Verified Driver

A test-run would be ideal. I think convincing the wife I won't be killed by my trailer as it makes its way down the hill into our neighbors' kitchen will be tough without a demo.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
I've used the hf dolly to push around a 2 axle 18' open trailer (empty). It works fine until you try and turn the trailer. Then the tire scrub takes over and makes it impossible to move the trailer. Moving the trailer in a straight line wasn't much of a problem though.

Unfortunately all I really wanted to do was turn it around (and yes a dual axle). [nope] In a straight line I could actually push it easier with just the tongue jack wheel down which is why I thought the dolly would make it really easy. It is easy to pull in a straight line with the dolly (provided the surface is actually as level as it looks).

I've seen plans for sale to make an electric dolly using a 12V winch as the motor for about $800 in parts but I don't feel that motivated just yet. Fortunately my driveway is wide enough I can carefully jack-knife the trailer at least 90* which gives me more options on how to turn it around from there.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make sure you video the test run, so if it goes poorly you can use the proceeds from America's Funniest Home Videos to repair the neighbor's kitchen. [Wink]

Keith, 800 sounds pretty steep. For 800 you could buy a unit from powermover and be done with it.

As an alternative, though a bit labor intensive, you could remove the tires from one axle and convert to a single axle trailer for moving it around the driveway.

--------------------
Mark

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A big 4 wheel atv also does a good job with a hitch.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spotting hitch is what they call the front bumper hitch.

Cost the same as a rear hitch and insanely easy to maneuver the trailer with it.

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mitch, any particular type of ATV? How much would a used one that can do the job cost?
Greg, shouldn't the front hitch be cheaper? I figger it needn't be as stout as a long haul hitch. Do you think it would be good enough for very tight spotting of the trailer?

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They aren't as stout, but they don't sell as many. Depends on the truck.

I could get one for my super duty pretty cheap but its a real simple design/install and that is why I think its cheap. It would bolt right to where the stock tow hooks go. Not all trucks have such an easy design to work from.

You can get in really tight spaces with much less luck and talent using one. It really changes the dynamics of the situation.

I wish I could get something like it for my 40' gooseneck, but I just had to get better on my own. I have to put it in a spot with less than a foot on each side and I live on a busy street.

I make lots of traffic friends when its trailer day at my house....

breathesfire Verified Driver
flirting with disaster

Region: South Jersey
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for breathesfire     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I mounted a hitch on my garden tractor to maneuver my 18' open trailer into places not otherwise possible.

Pete Maerz

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is the hitch on the garden tractor mounted on the front for pushing? How big are these tractors??

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: