next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » NJMP Driver School

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: NJMP Driver School
mghenwood

Region: Northeast
Car #: 58
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Quick question: I am in the process of converting my car from SM to SSM and I am not sure if I will have everything done by this Friday when the car needs to be tech inspected. I have registered for SSM. Are they going to check the car for compliance for that class, or just safety tech issues? So if I don't fully convert the car by then am I ok? Does it matter for a Driver School?

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What is not finished?

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

mghenwood

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Waiting on a down pipe from Mazda to mate up to the new mazdaspeed exhuast I got. Also have to convert the intake to the airbox I picked up used.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the exhaust is still stock you should be OK. The intake should take you 5 mins. to convert back if you have all the parts, if not contact RP Performance or Meathead to see if they can bring you what you need. If the exhaust is an issue, maybe one of those guys could also loan you an exhaust. We had a guy in SM this past weekend that had a stock exhaust and stock sway bars.

--------------------

mghenwood

The exhaust is setup for SM currently, basically a straight pipe with a resonator. I am going to see if I have all the parts to do the intake swap tonight. I am just thinking of a backup plan in case I don't have everything I need.

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Class compliance is not an issue at a drivers school.

There are no "winners" in a school and a protest from a fellow student over an exhaust or intake would likely not be entertained (although it would be "entertaining").

Just tape over the first "S" and run in SM (tell registration too).

Focus on reliability issues and processes for making sure that you're setup to make every session. Get organized, etc. Enough fuel. Plenty of cold water and snacks. Extra oil, brake fluid, tires, etc.

You're not there to be competitive, you're there to learn. The letters on the side of the car are meaningless.

If you have non-Toyo tires you want to burn up, put "ITA" on the car ....

-Kyle

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Windsor Customs will be there supporting
If you need parts let us know and we'll be sure to pack them if they aren't already on board.

Along with what Kyle said make sure you have someone crew-support you and the car you have enough to worry about while in class

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

breathesfire Verified Driver
flirting with disaster

Region: South Jersey
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for breathesfire     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mghenwood:
Quick question: I am in the process of converting my car from SM to SSM and I am not sure if I will have everything done by this Friday when the car needs to be tech inspected. I have registered for SSM. Are they going to check the car for compliance for that class, or just safety tech issues? So if I don't fully convert the car by then am I ok? Does it matter for a Driver School?

Just pack some extra beer and we'll overlook it. [Razz]

As others have said, focus on tech compliance and reliability. Make sure the belts haven't expired, check the fire extinguisher/fire system charge, make sure the car has a transponder, etc.

Hollar if you need anything! We've all been there and are willing to help.

Pete Maerz

Scottie

Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yeah I was the guy with stock exhaust and stock sway bars. Its really no big deal. Just make sure the car is good and reliable.

Scottie

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

DOH! Forgot to mention Chris Windsor as a source for parts...... [banghead]

--------------------

mghenwood

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help, and Chris I may call on you when I am at the event this weekend.
Thanks,
Matt

TJAndriesen

Region: NNJ
Car #: 43
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TJAndriesen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Windsor:
Windsor Customs will be there supporting
If you need parts let us know and we'll be sure to pack them if they aren't already on board.

Along with what Kyle said make sure you have someone crew-support you and the car you have enough to worry about while in class

Chris and the Windsor Customs team helped me out last year at this school on the day I couldn't find my own crew (AKA Wreckerboy the lifesaver). Having someone do this make your life seriously better.

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I stopped in yesterday (thanks Bill Etherington for teching my car late in the day). Weather is clear, but cold, supposed to be warmer today. Chris and others are providing support. It's a shame the school is apparently lightly attended, hopefully the PDX will bring the numbers up.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

mghenwood

Although the event was lightly attended, the student to instructor ratio was amazing, and it made for a great school.
Big Thanks to my instructor Mike, he gave me some invaluable pointers that helped me really push the car hard. Also many thanks to Jim and Pete for giving me some great tips on lines, and braking (or lack there of).
Chris Windsor did a great job taking care of my car and one or two others. Thanks Chris!
Given that it was my first time driving the car, or any Miata, I was pleasantly surprised.
All of the NJRRS folks were great, especially the Spec Miata people I met, just a great crowd.
Now I can't wait for MARRS 1.

TJAndriesen

Icon 1 posted  Profile for TJAndriesen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad you enjoyed it. As a newbie last year in the region I was amazed at how people reached out to help me. It is a great crew and between the NJ races and Marrs you will get all the top notch racing you could ask for. Wish I was still back on the east coast (though folks here seem nice as well)

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mghenwood:
Although the event was lightly attended, the student to instructor ratio was amazing, and it made for a great school.
Big Thanks to my instructor Mike, he gave me some invaluable pointers that helped me really push the car hard. Also many thanks to Jim and Pete for giving me some great tips on lines, and braking (or lack there of).
Chris Windsor did a great job taking care of my car and one or two others. Thanks Chris!
Given that it was my first time driving the car, or any Miata, I was pleasantly surprised.
All of the NJRRS folks were great, especially the Spec Miata people I met, just a great crowd.
Now I can't wait for MARRS 1.

Matt it was a pleasure having you as a student and you are going to be one helluva racer right out of the box. Not sure I want to line up along side of you this season. Not really, actually really looking forward to racing with you. You are the kind of guy this sport needs more of. Best of luck, look me up in the pits at Marrs 1, I will probably be right accross from the Windsor Customs guys. [thumbsup]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TJAndriesen:
Glad you enjoyed it. As a newbie last year in the region I was amazed at how people reached out to help me. It is a great crew and between the NJ races and Marrs you will get all the top notch racing you could ask for. Wish I was still back on the east coast (though folks here seem nice as well)

Hey Tim, did you put that seat in yet?

TJAndriesen

That Mike - Matt you did pull a great guy as an instructor. He helped me a lot last year.

Seat is in and car is with Dave Wheeler at Advanced Autosports. They are THE Miata guys in the Midwest so the car is getting well sorted. I'm doing a Midwest Council school on the 17th and first race is on the 18h. I'm looking forward to getting good seat time here and seeing if we can get the driver up to the car's potential.

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

Any plans on coming back east to race this season?

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What a blast at the school and after. Looks like we'll have some fast newbe's on track this year.

Thanks again Mike for hooking us up with the limo and tickets to the fight uh game Saturday night and your hospitality [thumbsup]

It was great to see all the folks that stopped in on us. [group hug] the season is just around the corner!!

Hat's off to the workers for braving the wind all weekend [thumbsup]

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: