Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » I just drove a $120,000 Chevy!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: I just drove a $120,000 Chevy!
Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A friend of mine just bought a new ZR1. He brought it by today and wanted me to take it for a spin. Very very fast. Not sure that thing should be allowed on the street! [Eek!] Was doing close to 100 in second, not quite sure what the other 4 forward gears are for?

Never thought we would see a 120k chevy, but this one may be worth the money!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

haha nice,
yeah that car is incredible. even compared to other "super" cars

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In NASA NE a guy turned one into a race car......and promptly crashed it at WGI. I have the pictures someplace. Video is out there too.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I took the TCS off and put it back on when I broke the tires loose shifting into third. I did put a little scare in the owner on the on ramp at about 120 or, car never budged. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The issue with even the C6 Z06 is it has too much hp and torque, for the weight it has over the rear wheels. I never thought I could think a car could have TOO MUCH hp and torque, but C6 Z06 does, and so does the ZR1.

Rumor has it the C7 or C8 Corvette may be mid-engined. The Corvette has always been front-engined, RWD. But if this will help it be stay ahead of the competition, then I am for it.

I have a C5 Z06, and even though I need to feather the throttle on exit, it is still more mangeable than the C6 Z06, or the ZR1.

Jeremy Clarkson or 'Top Gear', not normally a fan of American cars compared the new Audi R8 V10 wih the ZR1. From the video he had trouble controlling it on corner exit. In summary he felt the R8 was more refined and a better car, but because the ZR1 was like an uncaged animal, he preferred the ZR1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVYWDmRSdlg

Who would have thought $120,000 and Chevrolet in the same sentence?

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And here I thought this thread was going to be about a chevy with 120k miles. I clicked on it because it sounded like a joke. [Wink]

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Should have told him you wanted to do some bump drafting with it.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Apex to Apex

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
And here I thought this thread was going to be about a chevy with 120k miles. I clicked on it because it sounded like a joke. [Wink]

Same here.

--------------------

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have LS3 6pd C6, with coilover Pfadt suspension and other track goodies. I tracked it a few times for fun. The 2008 year fwd vettes are great cars, chevy did their home work, I guess racing has helped a lot. The power to weight is amazing, at 436 stock hp, Going 160 on the staights is fun, getting it settled down for a turn can be a bit of pucker factor. The car was a hand full before I put the coilovers on it, now it is truely a supercar.

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Apex to Apex:
The issue with even the C6 Z06 is it has too much hp and torque, for the weight it has over the rear wheels. I never thought I could think a car could have TOO MUCH hp and torque, but C6 Z06 does, and so does the ZR1.

Rumor has it the C7 or C8 Corvette may be mid-engined. The Corvette has always been front-engined, RWD. But if this will help it be stay ahead of the competition, then I am for it.

I have a C5 Z06, and even though I need to feather the throttle on exit, it is still more mangeable than the C6 Z06, or the ZR1.

Jeremy Clarkson or 'Top Gear', not normally a fan of American cars compared the new Audi R8 V10 wih the ZR1. From the video he had trouble controlling it on corner exit. In summary he felt the R8 was more refined and a better car, but because the ZR1 was like an uncaged animal, he preferred the ZR1.

I've owned one for over 4 years. I track it and all and I can tell you that the power is not the problem, it's only the improper use of the power is what can get you in trouble. Too many people think a car should stick like glue in any circumstances and so when you have a car that can break traction easily because of power it's claimed to be too much. Proper use of power coming out of the turn, and full use of power down the straights is what the C6Z06 or any other high powered car is all about. It just raises the hair on the back of you neck more often [Big Grin] My feelings are until there is too much power that the tires won't stay under the car in the straights there is always room for more. It's only up to me to use only the right amount in the corners.

I can't wait to get my hands on a ZR1 on track.

Tom

Apex to Apex

quote:
Originally posted by Tom's Double O:
quote:

I've owned one for over 4 years. I track it and all and I can tell you that the power is not the problem, it's only the improper use of the power is what can get you in trouble. Too many people think a car should stick like glue in any circumstances and so when you have a car that can break traction easily because of power it's claimed to be too much. Proper use of power coming out of the turn, and full use of power down the straights is what the C6Z06 or any other high powered car is all about. It just raises the hair on the back of you neck more often [Big Grin] My feelings are until there is too much power that the tires won't stay under the car in the straights there is always room for more. It's only up to me to use only the right amount in the corners.

Tom

Yep. My skils are not there yet. That's why I'm going to a Miata. Then maybe I'll be able to tap into what my Vette is capable of.

You are right, if you watch the 'Top Gear' video, it took Michael "The Stig" Schumacker to get the ZR1 to beat the R8 V10 by a second. As Clarkson said, he may be able to get the same time as The Stig in the R8, but it takes skill, (Schumacker), to get that time in the ZR1.

--------------------

Big Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Big Member

Region: DC
Car #: 72
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Big Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
A friend of mine just bought a new ZR1. He brought it by today and wanted me to take it for a spin. Very very fast. Not sure that thing should be allowed on the street! [Eek!] Was doing close to 100 in second, not quite sure what the other 4 forward gears are for?

Never thought we would see a 120k chevy, but this one may be worth the money!
Jim

Damn Drago....I'm jealous as hell...I can't wait to drive one of those...been lusting after it since its inception...

That car is AWESOME.....would love to have one...one of these days....

Z [thumbsup]

--------------------
Brian Zalner AKA: Big Z
Like a boss...
RP Performance / Director of Mktg.
http://www.rpperformanceracing.com
http://performanceautoworkswv.com/services.html

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom's Double O:
quote:

Tom

Yep. My skils are not there yet. That's why I'm going to a Miata. Then maybe I'll be able to tap into what my Vette is capable of.

You are right, if you watch the 'Top Gear' video, it took Michael "The Stig" Schumacker to get the ZR1 to beat the R8 V10 by a second. As Clarkson said, he may be able to get the same time as The Stig in the R8, but it takes skill, (Schumacker), to get that time in the ZR1.

The Miata will make you faster through the corners and the Z06 will get you down the straights. What you learn in SM pays big dividends everywhere else as it teaches momentum driving and handling. The vette doesn't teach this as well since you have power to make up for mistakes. Combine great skills with awesome power and you're having too much fun.

Tom

Dainbramage

Car #: 78
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dainbramage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Having learned to drive (on track) in a C5Z06 and now having my Spec Miata the Vette was actually alot easier to drive on the track. Don't use every millimeter of the track... no big deal. Off line a little... no big deal. ABS... just stand on the brakes no big deal. The SM every little bit matters (of course everyone here already knows that).

I still want another one though!

--------------------
Joe Self - NASA TX #78 Red/White

Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Chevy really did a nice job on the ZR1 not to mention all the late model vetts but they really need to think about moving to an awd platform if they want to keep up with the competition.

Once you get beyond 300-350hp an awd platform really makes a difference in getting all that power to the ground.

--------------------
Trakmnky

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The next two models
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100317/CARNEWS/100319875

--------------------
Paul McLester

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If GM wants to build a Nissan Skyline, they should just call it a Nissan Skyline rather than a C8 Corvette. Corvettes have big loud V8s and RWD. If that is no longer politically acceptable, then kill the marque rather than turning it into something it's not.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At Sebring last week nothing....and I mean nothing sounded like the Corvette with that loud V8 blasting down the track.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Apex to Apex

quote:
The Miata will make you faster through the corners and the Z06 will get you down the straights. What you learn in SM pays big dividends everywhere else as it teaches momentum driving and handling. The vette doesn't teach this as well since you have power to make up for mistakes. Combine great skills with awesome power and you're having too much fun.

Tom [/QB]

Thanks Tom. Yup. I've taken the Spring Mountain School and tracked my Vette a few times since, but I realize, the Corvette is just not going to make me a better driver. The Miata will. I may even get a junker FWD car and get a feel for that as well.

Thanks for the input.

--------------------

Mitch Taylor

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul you are so right, the exhaust opens up on my car when you get on it and it cracks and burbles and just makes wonderful sounds. But apex is right, the skill set is differant, and the power makes up for driving skill, especially on a track with long straights. The only thing I fault GM on is the seats are not up to the task for hardcorning. But the average vette buyer does not care.

Apex to Apex

Mitch, or your left knee chafing against the speaker.

--------------------

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Mitch, or your left knee chafing against the speaker.

Very inside Corvette baseball here. [Roll Eyes] I tracked a 500 HP Mallet Corvette for several years and my suit's left knee wore from the radio speaker's grille abrasive surface.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim -

You gon' hurt yo'sef.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well I gave the hell up on being a better driver, but I can't do anything about my love for racing the miata, so I am just gonna run a miata in ITE..... with an LS1.
Wonder if dragos seat will fit in it when we finish......I wouldn't ride with him. [Eek!]

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mac, you're livin' the dream. Don't forget to put smaller brakes on the car to offset the extra weight of the big drivetrain stuff.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Mitch Taylor

I look at the two of them in my garage and scratch my head about putting an ls 2/3 in the miata.

Apex , My speakers are dented, and that is with a harness. I never put the race seat in, as I got the SM bug.

Nice find Paul, The new carbon Z looks good but still no sport seats. WTF.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: