Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » GoPro video system from Saferacer

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: GoPro video system from Saferacer
Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any users of this system, or opinions?

They have 2 reasonably priced systems. One for $199 and one for $299. Anybody know anything about these systems.

I am looking for a low-cost solution so I can analyze my weekends. Then maybe in the future tap into a data acq system. If anything, a cheap camera in the future could turn into a camera pointed at my feet.

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Rye

Region: CACC British Columbia
Car #: 34
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have one of the "original" standard lens units, as well as the first generation wide angle version. Not bad for personal use, resolution is "you-tube" quality, and the sound quality absolutely sucks.

I do like the mounting systems, you can get some great shots from various locations in and on the car.

The wide angle gives the illusion that you are going much faster than actual speed, but also tends to "straighten out" corners. A 90 degree street intersection looks like a 30 degree bend when played back!

I understand that the newer models have better sound, but I can't personally vouch for that.

I don't believe that you can tap into the Go-Pro camera to tie it in with DAQ, or even use an external mic. They are strictly stand alone, at least the ones that I have are.

Overall, not a bad entry-level system.

Richard

cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The new HD GoPro has the ability to be linked in with at least the Traqmate's new HD connection as it has a LAN-C connection. The increase in quality from the original to the HD is massive. I carried the original versions and had issues one many of them. Now the folks that carry the HD models have much fewer problems.

The sound quality has been the biggest improvement other than ability of the camera to work.

Other ones that are good if you're just mounting on a cage inside the car include the Aiptek and you can fabircate a power cord so you don't have to charge batteries.

Apex to Apex

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rye, Which model do you have?

http://www.saferacer.com/gopro-motorsports-hero-wi...amera.html?productid=2021

http://www.saferacer.com/gopro-high-definition-mot...amera.html?productid=2067

The second is HD.

--------------------

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Have both - new HD version ($299 - Prod ID 2067) is MUCH better in terms of both video and sound

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Craig Heyl

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 00
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Craig Heyl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use a multitude of different cameras including the GoPro standard def. The firmware download improved the recording capacity of the standard model allowing for 4G memory cards and extended recordings.

I'll be buying the HD version this month and retire my other Sony Bullet Cam system if the sound quality on the HD version is improved.

GoPro is just so darn simple it's hard to beat. No wires no mess.

--------------------
Craig Heyl
Decatur Speed Shop
404-375-6025
Atlanta Region SCCA
NASA - SE
craigheyl@mac.com

Chris D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Great Lakes - Detroit
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cooleyjb:
The new HD GoPro has the ability to be linked in with at least the Traqmate's new HD connection as it has a LAN-C connection.

Does it really have a LANC connection? I bought one, but I don't see that is has this connection. Would be cool if it did as I just picked up a Traqmate!

--------------------
Chris Dilluvio
Farmington Hills, MI

chrisp993 Verified Driver

Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for chrisp993     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cooleyjb:
The new HD GoPro has the ability to be linked in with at least the Traqmate's new HD connection as it has a LAN-C connection.

Don't think the GoPro has a LAN-C connection? Am I wrong?

chrisp993 Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for chrisp993     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, beaten to the punch by 3 mins by ANOTHER Chris, who lives just a few miles from me ..... must be something in the air

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Details on the hardwire please!

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I very well could be wrong on the LanC as I haven't had one in my hand. That was hearsay info from one of the Traqmate guys so I assumed it was pretty accurate.

As for the hardwire info for the Aiptek it's either on Rennlist or Bimmerforums. Not sure exactly.

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Aiptek hardwire is on Rennlist. Just google Frankencharger.

--------------------
Michael Ross

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A link would be nice, one that utilizes the GoPro camera...or are we talking some other camera here? I've got two GoPros and battery life is the biggest problem with those things.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Rye

Region: CACC British Columbia
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 on the battery life. I use rechargable lithium ions, and they will just make it the full 56 minutes, most of the time. I keep about 10 batteries with me all the time, the toughest part is keeping track of which ones still have juice.

Apex to Apex: I have the wide angle unit in the first link. Looking at the HD unit in the second link, I would spring the extra 100 bux for that one.

On another note, the WA version has a downloadable firmware update available that allows an 8GB SD card, and better brightness control. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm not sure how you could fill up the bigger memory card considering the battery life limitation. Maybe with non-rechargable Lithium batteries, but that could get pricey.

I'm thinking about rigging up a 3v power supply to hardwire the power to the cameras. That would make these a lot easier to use over a weekend.

Richard

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The GoPro HD has a rechargeable Li-ion battery. They claim 2.5 hrs use, but I got about 1.5 hrs. They are coming out with a remote for the GoPro HD later this year which would need LanC to work.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Apex to Apex

Rye,

Mucho gracias! You guys are a great community! As is my NASA paddock. I'm still a newbie to Miata's but this road racing commuinity is far tighter knit than your local Friday night races at your local oval track.

I think we realize we are trying to grow this community. Hope to be filling your mirrors soon.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: