» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Brake Drag

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Brake Drag
rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I jacked up my '94 for and spun the front wheels. There is quite a bit of drag. Is this fixable on a self adj. brake car?
TIA

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rick,

Do you have all the OEM brake clips and springs? If not you may want to buy them from Mazda, they are inexpensive. Some folks just throw them away because they make brake changes more difficult and some feel that every little bit counts.

Do your pads slide nicely or do they hang up. You might need to take a file to the little ears and make sure they are clean and free from burs and sharp edges. The manufacturing tolerances are really loose on pads.

You might want to check drag when you come in off the track hot. It seems that certain pads expand more than others when hot, and that may be causing you some unnecessary drag.

And finally, you may want to check your caliper brackets (Mounting Support). These things get bent and there is very little clearance between the brackets and the rotor.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great advice, Bruce. It's also true that disc brakes are inherently a bit draggy.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Bruce, l'll check all that.

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:

Do you have all the OEM brake clips and springs? If not you may want to buy them from Mazda, they are inexpensive.

Anyone have a part number on these things ?

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

rotors can warp too. you can't see it. Never set you parking brake or keep you foot on the brakes after coming off the track.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John Mueller:
quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:

Do you have all the OEM brake clips and springs? If not you may want to buy them from Mazda, they are inexpensive.

Anyone have a part number on these things ?
NAY0-33-29Z -MV Front
BWZH-26-49Z -MV Rear

Sold in pairs, so no need to order 2 each ~$7 total.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

one thing I noticed when I bought all new springs and clips for my brakes this year is that my pads don't have the little holes drilled in them for the springs.. is this common?

Kyle

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kyle, that's happened to me, also. It's annoying, but you can easily drill them out.

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Below are part numbers. If there is a space in the part number, make sure to include this space if ordering online from MazdaComp.

For 1.6L:
NAY0-33-29Z -MV (Front)
BWZH-26-49Z -MV (Rear)

For 1.8L:
NAY5-33-29Z -MV (Front)
BCYF-26-49ZA-MV (Rear)

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dan:
rotors can warp too. you can't see it. Never set you parking brake or keep you foot on the brakes after coming off the track.

+1 on keeping foot off brake coming off the track.

We used to have problems with "warped" rotors. But then I read this article. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

If you practice what it preaches, you'll never experience "warped" rotors again.

P.S. I love Carroll Smith.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[/QUOTE]+1 on keeping foot off brake coming off the track.[/QUOTE]

the one that i always like to be careful off is when you get weighed after a session, and have to wait in line, to just turn off the car and leave it in gear, rather than sitting in line with your foot on the brakes

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Car #: 00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Be sure to read the link Gibscreen provided.

Most preceived warped rotors are misdiagnosed. The vibration comes from pad deposits. Use your cool down lap to cool down - moderate speed to keep air flowing through everything and easy pit entry speeds so you barely need to use the brakes. Another issue is for those that have the e-brake, do not use it when the rotors are hot as that can warp the rear rotors.

Tom

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

(Not to incurr the wrath of Mike C by straying slightly off topic...) Doesn't driving too slow on the cool down lap cause a massive buildup of rubber marbles on the tires? I was told that, then tried driving a bit faster (not vaugely close to race speed but not at a crawl) and my tires looked much cleaner.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Driving off the racing line causes a massive buildup of rubber marbles; I doubt driving 70 rather than 60 makes any difference on rubber pickup.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was thinking more like 30...just putzing around the cool down lap slowly.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I remember watching an F1 race at Monaco where the winner deliberately picked-up as many marbles as possible during the cool-down lap to help make sure he made weight.

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Thieme:
I remember watching an F1 race at Monaco where the winner deliberately picked-up as many marbles as possible during the cool-down lap to help make sure he made weight.

I think it's done to increase ride hight. Car comes in like a hundredth of a mm too low and your screwed.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisA:
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Thieme:

I think it's done to increase ride hight. Car comes in like a hundredth of a mm too low and your screwed.
There's no static minimum ride height in F1. You just can't run so low that you wear off too much of the legality plank. They pick up marbles to make weight. And they all do it, not just the winner.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If for some reason you get red flagged during a race or have to come to a sudden stop without cooling your brakes, you also need to keep your foot off the brake, once stopped and keep moving the car. If still inside the car you can continue to move the car back and forth so the pad and rotor are not in the same spot for every 10 seconds or so? I have not had a problem with SCCA or NASA telling me the car was not stopped.

If out of the car just roll it back and forth until the brakes cool down enough, say 5-10 minutes?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: