Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » New Format for the 2010 ARRC by GRM

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New Format for the 2010 ARRC by GRM
Butch Kummer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Butch Kummer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since it’s resurrection by Atlanta Region in 1994, the American Road Race of Champions Presented by Grassroots Motorsports (the ARRC by GRM) has billed itself as the “National Championship event for non-Runoffs classes.” To keep from competing with the Runoffs for entries, none of the Runoffs classes have been invited to compete each November at Road Atlanta. Even though limited to regional-only classes the ARRC by GRM has featured 20-lap championship races, victory laps, Winners’ Circle interviews, professional race announcers, and coverage by national media. Over the years the event has grown in stature and truly become a destination event on the SCCA calendar.

In reaction to recent decisions by the National BoD, we are now modifying that format slightly. Starting in November 2010, the ARRC by GRM will be open to ALL SCCA classes including Runoffs classes. To preserve the regional-only nature of the event, however, the caveat is that you cannot run the ARRC by GRM in the same class you competed in at the Runoffs. If you ran in EP at the Runoffs, for example, you’d have to enter a different class if you also wanted to compete at the ARRC by GRM. Most of the Runoffs classes also fit in a regional-only class with minimal modifications (in the previous example EP can run SPU), so if you want to run both events in the same car it’s very doable.

Due to the support demonstrated by IT and SM communities in the past, those four (4) run groups will see minimal changes. Those groups will still have exclusive use of the Club Race paddock as they did in 2009, we’ll have split starts to retain the championship atmosphere of the races, and we’ll feature extensive compliance checking during Impound (which means you’ll still race before lunch on Saturday). For those wanting additional track time we will still have the Pro-IT race on Friday afternoon plus the Three Hour (which will be part of the SEDiv’s 2011 ECR series) on Sunday afternoon. The major changes will be experienced by the groups operating out of the Infield Paddock.

The dates for 2010 are November 4-7 at Road Atlanta. Following are the anticipated run groups (not necessarily in this order):

. IT7, ITA, SP-2, SP-3
. ITR, ITS, SMX
. ITB, ITC, ITT, SSB, SSC
. SM, SM2, SSM
. AS, GT-2, GT-3, ITO, ST, STO, T-1, T-2, T-3, TCC
. ASR, CSR, DSR, FA, FB, CFC, FC, FE, FM, FS
. GT-1, GTA, SPO
. EP, FP, GTL, HP, SPU, SRF, STU
. F5, F6, CF, FF, FST, FV, S2

(SP-2 & SP-3 are 944 Cup classes, SMX is ‘99+ with no restrictor and MX-5 with a restrictor TBD, SM2 is ’97 & earlier SMs)

We’ll have more information as the 2010 season progresses, but I wanted to let y’all know the basics of what we have planned. If you have questions you can post them here or contact me at “butch /at/ b-k-racing /dot/ com”.

See y’all at the track…

Butch Kummer

--------------------
Atlanta Region Asst. RE, Competition Director

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That SM2 designation is great news!

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is a good idea, but sad they can't all run together also.

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Butch Kummer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Butch Kummer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM, SM2 and SSM will run together. SMX will run in a separate group at the ARRC to encourage guys to double dip (and also give the Runoffs front-runners a place to play).

--------------------

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm torn... So if I run the 99 in Runoffs? I could run the 96 in the ARRC and potentially win SM2 officially and unofficially SM all in the same race? [Big Grin] hmmmm [scratchchin] So far I am 0 for 6, so maybe this two chances deal is just what I need [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What exactly is the purpose of SM2?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Must be a surplus of trophies.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Butch Kummer

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
What exactly is the purpose of SM2?

See the other thread (under SEDiv) about adding SM2 as an Atlanta Region regional-only class.

BK

--------------------

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Interesting that both the polls and the people commenting on this forum have shown that drivers don't want the class split.....and you decide to split the class? You are watering down the ARRC's original intent just to raise the number of entries.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd be willing to bet there a hell of a lot more people in SM then anyone doing a poll here and commenting. While SM.com is a good barometer of what's going on it ain't the be all, end all.

How dare someone try to make competitors happy and add entrants? The humanity! Next thing you know Ricky Martin will come out gay... oh wait.

Doesn't CFR run SMT which dilutes the class?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes Lance they do but as our petition showed thats not what the larger group of SM racers in that region want. Paul's right its a scramble for car count.

Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, if they don't want it.. then they don't run the class. If it doesn't work then it gets dropped, not sure what the big deal is. There is nothing mandating you have to run the class, you can still come up and party as an SM.

--------------------

Butch Kummer

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Interesting that both the polls and the people commenting on this forum have shown that drivers don't want the class split.....and you decide to split the class? You are watering down the ARRC's original intent just to raise the number of entries.

First of all, here's my post in the SEDIV section of this forum (since no one has commented there):

= = = = = = = =

I alluded to this in my post about the 2010 ARRC by GRM, but at the request of multiple competitors Atlanta Region is creating SM2 for our 2010 & 2011 seasons. For 2010 this includes:

. July 16-18 Double SARRC at Road Atlanta
. Sep 3-5 Double SARRC at Barber
. Nov 4-7 ARRC by GRM at Road Atlanta

The class is for first and second generation ('90-'97) Miatas prepped to the SEDIV SM rules. SM2 will run with SM and SSM at those events.

I'm not going to enter any discussions about how this will dilute the class (because it's appealing to guys that aren't racing now!) and I'm not going to submit a poll on this. The only "poll" I care about is your entry fee. Guys are telling me they have '97- cars sitting in the garage because they feel they are not competitive with the '99+ cars. If that's correct this will give them a reason to bring them out.

Obviously this is not for SARRC points, only for Atlanta Region points. If we're covered up with SM2 entries then these guys are right. If we average two SM2 entries per race after two seasons, I'll pull the plug on it in a heartbeat. I'll entertain questions, but no arguments...

= = = = = = = =

Is this an attempt to generate more entries? You're damn right it is! Critcizing SM2 on those grounds is like me telling you that adjusting your tire pressures is a blatant attempt to make your car faster. Do you really think before you type something like that?

Will it work? I really don't know, but if guys are currently staying at home because they perceive their '97- cars are not competitive in SM then MAYBE adding SM2 will encourage them to show up. In determining the success or failure of this experiment I'll be looking at the total number of Miatas running in SM/SM2/SSM. If five of the current SM cars switch to SM2 and ten more show up that currently aren't running with us, then that's an overall win. I've already been assured that we'll have at least five SM garage queens coming out for our July weekend because we're adding SM2. We'll see if that's reality or pipe dreams.

The downside is the possibility that guys currently running with us will stay home because Atlanta Region has the audacity to try something like this. Is there anybody that REALLY will pass on racing at Road Atlanta because some of the cars in their group have an extra character in the class designation?

As far as watering down the ARRC's original intent, if we stayed with it being "the National Championship for Regional-only Cars" then SM would not have been invited since 2005. Again, do you really think before you type such statements?

BK

--------------------

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Butch
You can't argue trying to get more people to the event. If I still have my 96 car then, I will be running SM2. If nothing else, I think it will prove that people who believe this non sense will find themselves to be just as far back as they are in SM races. I imagine Pombo and few others will join in as well in older cars as none of can that run the Runoffs can run in SM. If that happens, and I bet it will, it is conceivable, if not likely that a SM2 could win the entire race, especialy if Cliffy and Cotrell do the Runoffs? I think the intent will be achieved, more people will enter the ARCC, but not quite the ones you were aiming to get there [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Butch Kummer

Thank you for your input. [Big Grin]

--------------------

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM garage queens? Are they cute?

Administrator

George and Paul, looking forward to have you racing SM with us.

--------------------

Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
SM garage queens? Are they cute?

Well that depends on what your definition of queen is, a queen in a monarchy or a queen in San Francisco.

--------------------

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Butch
You can't argue trying to get more people to the event. If I still have my 96 car then, I will be running SM2. If nothing else, I think it will prove that people who believe this non sense will find themselves to be just as far back as they are in SM races. I imagine Pombo and few others will join in as well in older cars as none of can that run the Runoffs can run in SM. If that happens, and I bet it will, it is conceivable, if not likely that a SM2 could win the entire race, especialy if Cliffy and Cotrell do the Runoffs? I think the intent will be achieved, more people will enter the ARCC, but not quite the ones you were aiming to get there [Wink]

Pop up headlight showdown! Lets do it, I think I can find a 1.8 to run.... [Wink]

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Butch Kummer:
Thank you for your input. [Big Grin]

That was good, I have to admit laughed at that! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just found some pop up headlights for my car. See you in SM2 Alex!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

mat pombo Verified Driver

Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Butch,

I also was hoping and had heard that you guys would have a SMX-5 class at the ARRC. I think you would have a lot of pro MX-5 cup cars that would run also if you could put that together. We could run with the SPU group. Like what you are trying to do here. Thanks.

mat

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How about SM2R, my car is red and hasn't won in a while. [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Jerry

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mat pombo:
Butch,

I also was hoping and had heard that you guys would have a SMX-5 class at the ARRC. I think you would have a lot of pro MX-5 cup cars that would run also if you could put that together. We could run with the SPU group. Like what you are trying to do here. Thanks.

mat

Smx includes cup cars against unrestricted 99-05 cars.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

racinglawyer Verified Driver
Old Member

Region: NEPA
Car #: 0
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racinglawyer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keep up the good work and you may find the ARRC will be bigger than the runoffs with less of the BS that had taken hold at the runoffs.

SM is not the be all, do all, etc class... its just a class that a lot of people found they like and the cars to boot. it called Economics 101.

Could it be that the young have taken over...I hope so.

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
Love "the commander" Mike Cefalo

Butch Kummer

Based on feedback from the IT guys I've modified the groups somewhat, but time has expired on updating my original post. Current thinking on the run groups:

1. ITA, split start for IT-7, ITC, ITT
2. SMX, split start for SP-2, SP-3
3. ITR, ITS, split start for ITB
4. Saturday's FEATURE race - SM, SM2, SSM

5. CF, F5, F6, FF, FST, FV
6. GT-1, GTA, SPO
7. ASR, CFC, CSR, DSR, FA, FB, FC, FE, FM, FS, S2
8. AS, GT-2, ITO, SSB, SSC, ST, STO, STU, T-1, T-2, T-3
9. GT-3, GTL, EP, FP, HP, SPU, split start for SRF

All races will be 20 laps or 45 minutes, whichever comes first.

See y'all at the track...

--------------------

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Butch - you are on the right track - getting this out there way in advance to get some public feedback is a great idea - obvioulsy you wont please all the people, but I love what you are doing with SM and SMX.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Butch Kummer

Danny - the initial objective in getting this out was to let the guys running National classes (with no intention of doing the Runoffs) know they can now run the ARRC. One of our Board members was at CMP last weekend and found few of those racers knew of the philosophical change. Once I posted it, however, the feedback from the IT guys has provided the opportunity to make the groupings even better.

And yes, even though I drive a taxi-cab I'll make sure I'm up at Turn 11 to watch the SM and SMX races. SM is always good, and SMX should be a hoot as well!

BK

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: