Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Any Experience w/ Hawk DTC-60?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Any Experience w/ Hawk DTC-60?
luckymiata76

Region: South Bend
Car #: 76
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luckymiata76     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been running Hawk Blue's for a long time on my '99 and was thinking of trying the Hawk DTC60 pad at Blackhawk which is very hard on brakes.

I'd like some thoughts from those of you that have tried these. Also, what pads did you run in the back when running DTC60?

Thanks.

--------------------
Jeff Luckritz

OPM AUTOSPORTS INC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 60 65 67
Year : 1990 1999 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OPM AUTOSPORTS INC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great pad, most of my customers that were on blue's have switched. Does not have the initial bite of the blue but easier to modulate, good wear and easy on rotors. I carry them in stock and sell quite alot. In the rear DTC-30.

--------------------
-Tom Fowler-
OPM Autosports / SMAC MEMBER
http://www.opmautosports.com

Dainbramage

Car #: 78
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dainbramage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got the DTC-60's in the front and the HT-10's in the rear and I love the balance. I can trailbrake and rotate the car so much better than before with the blue/black setup. Rotor wear has been improved also. Modulation against lockup improved.

All around it's alot better setup in my opinion than the blue/blacks.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Joe Self - NASA TX #78 Red/White

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use the DTC-60 front and usually the DTC-30 rear. I switched the rears to HT-10's to see the difference...which wasn't much other than my rear end wiggled a little more under heavy braking into the hairpin at Sebring.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I liked them but not enough to permanently switch from Blues to DTC-60's on my 1.6. They weren't as good as the Blues at 50% pad thickness. Seemed to require more pedal pressure, or transfer more heat to the backing plate, or whatever, because I've never bent a backing plate on Blues and the DTC's were distorted, but not truly tacoed, at 50%-ish wear.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

we run DTC 60 front and rear, only complaint is they are very soft compared to blues or cobalts. They wear out a lot faster but work very well.

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe the wear rate is why I didn't like them once they got thin. Chicken or the egg? Either way, great if you can replace them often.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How long do they last? 3 weekends is what I usually get out of my current front pads.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My rear DTC-30's wore out 2x faster than my fronts...which made me look at the rear brakes. I raced 5 weekends and still had 2 race weekends of pad left on the fronts and replaced the rears after 4 weekends.

--------------------
Paul McLester

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

??? Hmm and you guys are complaining about wear? okay next question, how many rotors did you go through with one set of pads ???

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DTC's don't grind down rotors like the Blues. They do put a lot of heat into the front rotor though which causes tiny heat cracks. I don't recall if this happens in the rear or not. This did not happen with the Blues. These heat cracks don't affect durability as they are just tiny surface cracks. Usually see this kind of stuff on other race cars, somewhat unusual on a Miata. Rotors are cheap, even Brembo, so I'm usually swapping front rotors about every other pad change anyway. Probably overkill but its what I do. About 4 weekends per set of Front pads is average for me. Rears will go 6-7 weekends typically. The DTC's are not as good longevity wise as the Blues but better than Carbotech for me. The better feel over the Blues is worth it, same firm pedal as the Blues, but much better threshold and trail braking with this setup for me.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

luckymiata76

Region: South Bend
Car #: 76
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luckymiata76     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good thoughts guys. It seems that there is a trade-off. Blues last longer but are somewhat difficult to modulate whereas DTC60's are easier to modulate, but wear faster. Does that sum it up?

--------------------
Jeff Luckritz

Still using the same rotors....

--------------------
Paul McLester

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The cobalts usually last me almost a whole season and I think they are better than anything out there

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

any experience with the Raybestos ST43's?

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
DTC's don't grind down rotors like the Blues. They do put a lot of heat into the front rotor though which causes tiny heat cracks. I don't recall if this happens in the rear or not. This did not happen with the Blues. These heat cracks don't affect durability as they are just tiny surface cracks. Usually see this kind of stuff on other race cars, somewhat unusual on a Miata. Rotors are cheap, even Brembo, so I'm usually swapping front rotors about every other pad change anyway. Probably overkill but its what I do. About 4 weekends per set of Front pads is average for me. Rears will go 6-7 weekends typically. The DTC's are not as good longevity wise as the Blues but better than Carbotech for me. The better feel over the Blues is worth it, same firm pedal as the Blues, but much better threshold and trail braking with this setup for me.

A guy in my NASA paddock sells Hawk pads and he gave some seminars last year. He says when the cracks get to the edge of the rotor, then it's time to replace. Tiny cracks that don't extend to the edge of the rotor are OK. But for how cheap these Miata rotors are, better off safe and replace if there is any doubt. What you don't want is are hot bits of rotor shooting into the cabin.

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

The transition from Blues front/Blacks rear to DTC's was great. No more on/off switch. Easy to modulate the DTC and I think getting a season out of them is fine.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When the cracks are over an inch long and will easily catch a fingernail when cold I toss them.

Have used 2 sets of rotors for 1 set of front pads.
Have to learn not to use the brakes like Paul.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: