Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Transition from BMW CCA racing to SM

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Transition from BMW CCA racing to SM
RSchuster

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RSchuster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello guys, I am thinking the transition from racing a BMW to racing a miata. My car is absolutely incredible now with generally a 10 car class field being big but we all run pretty tight. The problem with that racing is that the motors are like grenades.

What I am looking to do is sell my car that I have now and have a top notch car built so all doubt after that is out of my mind and I can concentrate on the driving over a couple of years. I have a few questions for veterans if you don't mind me asking. With a general race weekend in SM what are operating costs, tires, fuel, entrance fees, and what not going to run me. Second, I feel I am capable of being up near the front with my background, what do I need to learn that will be different in this series. Any Tips, Advice, and pointers please fire away. With our car now it is a maintenanced car every weekend and a pain in the butt. I am frankly getting tired of being under the car more than in the drivers seat. Are miata's the same if they are built to the Enth degree? Thanks in advance guys..

Ryan

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by RSchuster:
Hello guys, I am thinking the transition from racing a BMW to racing a miata. My car is absolutely incredible now with generally a 10 car class field being big but we all run pretty tight. The problem with that racing is that the motors are like grenades.

What I am looking to do is sell my car that I have now and have a top notch car built so all doubt after that is out of my mind and I can concentrate on the driving over a couple of years. I have a few questions for veterans if you don't mind me asking. With a general race weekend in SM what are operating costs, tires, fuel, entrance fees, and what not going to run me. Second, I feel I am capable of being up near the front with my background, what do I need to learn that will be different in this series. Any Tips, Advice, and pointers please fire away. With our car now it is a maintenanced car every weekend and a pain in the butt. I am frankly getting tired of being under the car more than in the drivers seat. Are miata's the same if they are built to the Enth degree? Thanks in advance guys..

Ryan

Tires - 600ish a set, probably 2 sets a weekend (one used set, one new) for a two day event w/ no test day.
Fuel - Whatever 87 costs at the pump [Smile]
Entry Fee - Can be anywhere from 300-500 depending on organization
Consumables - expect 300 easily in brakes and other little odds and ends.

Miata's aren't typically built to the nth degree, and are fairly reliable. Especially if you start with a pro built car that has all parts rebuilt or new.

The only advice I can give is don't be discouraged if you join in and aren't immediately at the front. I've seen plenty of people think they are going to show up and set the world on fire, but were sadly mistaken. Spec Miata is the toughest class in SCCA Club Racing, IMO. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

RSchuster

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RSchuster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the info. I don't expect to blaze the field away, I know its tough competition with large fields, thats the main reason I am planning on moving over. Notice I said near the front lol. I didn't mean that to be a bragging crap talk statement, What I meant I am experienced and what do I need to know about this series to be on the podium.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where will you be racing? What division + organization? That way you can go talk to the local vendors about car builds, competitive packages in the division, trackside support, etc.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM is all about maintaining momentum and not making any mistakes. There is very little torque to cover your bobbles. Learn the secret of the 2nd to 3rd shift, before you do a couple of missed shifts, where it goes into 1st at 7,200 rpm, revving to, say 12,500. This will prevent you needing to replace the engine on your 3rd race.
Brake waaaaaaaay deeper than you ever have before, or don't brake at all. And, when you brake later than you think possible, be ready for three or four cars going by you before they hit the brakes.
Those two tips should help you get started.
wheel

RSchuster

@ Blake, I live in Ohio, but travel all over the place to go racing. My business goes with me so time off isn't a problem.

@ Wheel- That is basic advice, knowing how to downshift and upshift, including left foot braking, heel toe, all of those goodies should be mandatory. 3-2-3 shifts are pretty defined in my eyes. I guess we will see though.

Also, with SM im curious as to how the cars handle with bumpdrafting, when to do bumpdraft, and not. I have never been in that type of racing, just 13/13.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Also, with SM im curious as to how the cars handle with bumpdrafting, when to do bumpdraft, and not.

In SCCA never bumpdraft in front of flaggers and corner workers [Wink]

Bumpdraft anywhere else...common sense rules.

Tom

RSchuster

Have to remember that for future reference.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been racing since 1974 and I didn't know the secret of the SM shift. I blew the engine by the 3rd race. If you know the secret, fine, if not, you have been warned.
wheel

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
Tires - 600ish a set, probably 2 sets a weekend (one used set, one new) for a two day event w/ no test day.

Are you saying that you burn through two sets of tires per race weekend, or that you BRING two sets of tires with you per weekend (assuming that the two sets last for multiple race weekends)?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cy:
Absolute top guys aside,(who change tires like our wives do purses),typically a set of 3/32nd RA'1's deliver 15+ heat cycles.
Typical race weeekend (less damange) runs about $1,000.
Rick
P.S. Be prepared to learn momnetum driving.

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
Cy:
Absolute top guys aside,(who change tires like our wives do purses),typically a set of 3/32nd RA'1's deliver 15+ heat cycles.
Typical race weeekend (less damange) runs about $1,000.
Rick
P.S. Be prepared to learn momnetum driving.

My experience differs and I will share with the fear of opening up the argument over tire consumption once more.

In SOWDIV, our season is fully along with our first double national in Feb. I began the season using my last two sets of R-888s and then swapped to RA-1 as they were used up and the deadline to swap arrived.

In 5 National Races which with include Q/R for each "race" and three test days (about three 20 min sessions), I have used up both (two) sets of R-888s, and 1-1/2 sets of RA-1s. For our track surfaces and run duration, I with typically get 5-7 cycle's on 3/32" tires before they risk cording or loose some grip due to increased hardness from the heat cycling.

Regards

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

dickball Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: sfr
Car #: 14
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dickball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What they are saying is you will find there is alot more work to do in the car than where you've come from and not under the car. Ive raced alot of BMW's (great cars) and SM is more work, even physically. The car will only have tire and fuel needs, unless you are interested in developing your set up for that weekend. (most guys at the front are busily working on that as well)
Your BMW should offer everything you might need to develop your in traffic skills, car set up etc.
Maybe what SM offers is the large community of guys helping support each other. At the track and here on this forum, where else can you get all that?

Mr Ball

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most coming from BMW or PCA ( like 99%) can't believe how far off the pace they are. Don't get discouraged, that is the norm. You have to put in a season minimum, after the first year, you'll have a pretty good idea of where you will be.

I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself 3 seconds off the pace, I was when I started and I thought I was pretty good [Frown]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself 3 seconds off the pace, I was when I started and I thought I was pretty good [Frown]

When you started? Thought you still were! [Big Grin] [duck]

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

RSchuster

I would be happy with 3 seconds off pace for the first year I think. I guess I don't get the secret of the 3-2 downshift, Whats the difference if you are very good at rev matching while heel toeing in a miata than a BMW. One season is just the time to get acclimated and the next season is where I'd be hoping for some possible good finishes.

With RA-1's we have done a lot of data reads on those in the BMW so we are pretty familiar with them. I guess I need to try and read up on this 3-2-3 shifting in a miata, because there is apparently a big secret.

That and I see a bunch of you making all these unfamiliar hand signals....like a fist to slam into me and make me go faster lol. Good one to remember.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

It is the upshift from 2nd to 3rd which ends up in 1st or, if you are lucky 5th. You can't shift these by gripping the lever and ramming it toward 3rd, like you can with just about every other car I have raced.

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The BMW M3 2-3 shift is very similar. You can't force it and when going 2-3 its best to do with a open hand/palm.

Just takes practice.

Kyle

RSchuster

http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

That hand technique which is what I use should help prevent that up shift problem. Usually at worst it lands in 5.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Hello guys, I am thinking the transition from racing a BMW to racing a miata.

What I am looking to do is sell my car that I have now and have a top notch car built
Ryan

as you said above; if you have a "top notch car built" ...
don't worry about the 2-3 shift, that worry is only for orangutan drag race newbies ... or those with old junk non rebuilt trannys ...
3 sec a lap? dude, that's so far out of the ball park at places like Mid Ohio, the Glen, Road America, ... anywhere you show up with a "top notch build".
given your past experience and a "top notch build", (BTW, look in the classified here at this website), forget about wasting time and money on "the build" ... you should be 1 sec back at most places after your first year, or else ... well, nevermind.
Go to a race or two at Mid Ohio, ask questions,
Good luck,
[thumbsup]

RSchuster

Yea in my mind 3 seconds is huge. Especially being familiar with tracks like mid ohio. Buying a car prebuilt was ultimately the plan but there is only one that interests me. Who knows maybe I will. We will see. I need to keep studying more details about SM and get everything planned out. Running a full season could be just as expensive as running like 3-4 races with the bmw expenditures, due to the bomb that gets slipped under the car every race lol.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

RSchuster

PS is there a SM race this weekend at Mid Ohio anyone is attending...I would love to get some insight. Let me know, and if there is shoot me a car number or what it looks like so I can recognize some faces with names on here.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ryan, another way to watch and learn is to wear white. Volunteer to work corners at an SCCA race a few times before diving in as a driver, it's something to do while you figure out what you are going to do with your car and you can learn a great deal about the various lines on the track. I don't know what BMW does for flagging/starts/field control but there will probably be some differences that will help the learning curve.

SM is a very good choice and will the new talent that comes in will be a good choice down the road. It's probably the race I most look forward too on any club racing weekend I work, glad to have you in the party.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Jarhead Made Donation to Website

Region: 34
Car #: 89,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jarhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Most coming from BMW or PCA ( like 99%) can't believe how far off the pace they are. Don't get discouraged, that is the norm. You have to put in a season minimum, after the first year, you'll have a pretty good idea of where you will be.

Really? [boggled]

--------------------
Problem Solved/ReelScreensSE/RE Power

RSchuster

Flagging/Starts/Field control is very similar. I have been to many SCCA and NASA events. There are some different flags meanings for sure though.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Ryan - glad you found your way onto the forum. Asking good questions!

I think pretty much everyone here on this thread will vouch for my car - take the plunge! [Smile] I'll give you some coaching....

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:

Are you saying that you burn through two sets of tires per race weekend, or that you BRING two sets of tires with you per weekend (assuming that the two sets last for multiple race weekends)?
If I run a 3 day event - I use atleast 2 sets of tires. They may have a practice session or two left in them, but I don't count on that.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With the 888's I would agree, but the RA1's of years past were lasting much longer. Still, on average with test day about a set a weekend to win. But then again prize money usually covered that.

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

htron435 Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA GLD
Car #: 113
Icon 1 posted  Profile for htron435   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ryan-

Yes, NASA race is this weekend @ MidOhio. I'll be in Garage #3 in car #113, Qik Nip will be here somewhere as well. We currently have 28 cars registered. Stop by my garage if you come out & I'll introduce you to the fast guys. This is my third weekend, so I still have a ton to learn. Go to nasagreatlakes,com and view the event schedule. Looks like a super weekend. Hope to see you out there!

--------------------
Jay
Car Dealer
ATC/Motiv Trailer Dealer
http://www.jaynorthauto.com

htron435 Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA GLD
Car #: 113
Icon 1 posted  Profile for htron435   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

By the way, my car is a red 90 (like everyone else's) with eyes painted on the turn signal lenses.

--------------------
Jay
Car Dealer
ATC/Motiv Trailer Dealer
http://www.jaynorthauto.com

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:
With the 888's I would agree, but the RA1's of years past were lasting much longer. Still, on average with test day about a set a weekend to win. But then again prize money usually covered that.

Obviously depends on depth, but I didn't run the R888 that much (only at the ARRC, bad choice btw). I normally budget 2 sets of tires per 3 day weekend + 1 set of old ones from prior weekends. All started @ 3/32nds RA1s.

It definitely can be done on 1 set, but I don't let getting caught out on tire strategy (happened one too many times).

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

RSchuster

Hey Todd! I hope you are doing well at Barber. I know your car is good and it is the 1 I was speaking of. For those of you that are going to be at mid ohio, I will be attending, I was supposed to be racing gts 3 in our car but had a slippey clutch due to a bad tranny leak. See you there and will look forward to meeting you.

As for taking the plunge... it will hopefully be sooner than later, really depends on how quickly I can sell my car. Is there any interest in high quality wheel studs with miatas that will rarely break. We sell BMW studs that have excellent history, A couple pro teams can vouch, and are looking for new business always.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

RSchuster

With our bmw we find the optimal shift point for the engine is between 6800-6900 rpm. due to it making its most power...How does that compare with the miata. I see some bouncing off the limiter, and others shifting just before 7.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can't help wondering, if Toyo is a 2 weekend tire at best, what was the argument against specing Hoosiers?

(bounching off rev limiter is a driver error, not a performance startegy)

RSchuster

The problem with budgeting hoosiers more than a weekend is the fall off of the tire. In a spec class like this with such a significant drop off after a few heat cycles on hoosiers, it brings more money into the equation and would take a fresh set per day to stay competitive. That is what we run and there is a big time difference in new hoosiers to used. That would be silly to do in a spec class IMO. The RA1's are much more affordable besides. Hoosier rubber is no joke price wise.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you know where to buy them Hoosier SM tires are same price, or less than RA1s. In my experience the drop off on a SM is not as dramatic as you indicate.

If the front runners are buying new Toyos each weekend what's the difference.

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
The problem with budgeting hoosiers more than a weekend is the fall off of the tire. In a spec class like this with such a significant drop off after a few heat cycles on hoosiers, it brings more money into the equation and would take a fresh set per day to stay competitive. That is what we run and there is a big time difference in new hoosiers to used. That would be silly to do in a spec class IMO. The RA1's are much more affordable besides. Hoosier rubber is no joke price wise.

This experience is probably not applicable to the SM Hoosier. They are competatively priced and others indicate they are good throughout usefull life.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA