next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » First race weekend

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: First race weekend
Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That day has finally come. After buying a Miata in October, building it over the winter, and waiting for spring, I finally did my first race weekend. I did a NASA event at Mid-Ohio. We did the Friday competition school and the race weekend. All went well and the car is still in one piece. I had a good finish Saturday and qualified in well Sunday, but I had to drive off the track to avoid a spin with no place to go. I almost got the pace car that was sitting in the infield, That's not good! That blew the my finish but I did finish which was the primary goal.

On Friday, in the school, on our first on track session of side by side drills, we came out to our cars to find we had to scrap off an inch of snow off my seat. That was interesting driving with it snowing, Yes its Mid-Ohio, so you need that kind of training.

I had a blast, its going to be a fun year.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats! Sounds like fun. I still tell myself the goal is to drive it in the trailer after each race weekend, and not have any work to do on it. That way I have a great time anytime I finish a race....

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

RSchuster

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RSchuster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good work! I was there spectating my first SM race this weekend and it was a good show. Don't know names but he leader was dominating each day but there were battles every where. Looked fun!

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by RSchuster:
Good work! I was there spectating my first SM race this weekend and it was a good show. Don't know names but he leader was dominating each day but there were battles every where. Looked fun!

It was Brian Murdick in the silver #17. And yes he dominated both days! I know because I started on his bumper Sunday and could barely see it by the checkered flag! Kudos too to John Guhtrie went from P17 to P4. That was some run!
Rick
P.S. Roughly 30 SM's and twenty-five assorted Bimmers, Porches and whatevers thrown in for good measure and nary one yellow in two races! The six or so new SM pilots who earned their licenses on Friday are to be complimented for helping make that happen. [Smash]

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

KachMiata

Region: Central
Car #: 80
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KachMiata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was driving in the event as well. It was a blast. Yes, Murdick was incredibly fast, but there were battles everywhere. It was my first time at Mid Ohio, and while Saturday was somewhat disappointing for me, I qualified P9 on Sunday and finished P6, which I was very happy with. It was great tom see such competitive driving without any major incidents. Can't wait for VIR next weekend!

KachMiata

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KachMiata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here is a picture my dad took of the start of the first race on Saturday. He took the picture from Madness. I am in the blue/white '99 that is wide on turn 7.  -

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's a great picture! It shows just how close and clean SM racing can and should be.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great pic 'Kach', I was admiring your car in the pits - too pretty to race.

Great weekend - but man was I rusty from the winter.

Fly'n Brian Murdick CHECKED-OUT Sunday. I was spectating Sunday while my better-half was racing. Hell of a drive by John Guthrie, #21.

I didn't race in NASA last year but the competition was gathering no moss. Tough field!

I encourage other Midwest drivers who haven't to give NASA GreatLakes a try. They put on a great event this weekend.

Good clean racing.

-Denny

RSchuster

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RSchuster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is no doubt that fall line knows how to prepare a car! Ive never seen two such shiny race cars sitting next to each other. Good run every one.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

KachMiata

So it turns out that when I went to weigh my car after Sunday's race, I came in a 2,495 lbs. I have a '99, so I came in about 45 lbs over. My question is, how much time do you think that cost me (per lap or overall)? For reference, I was running 1:45's in Sundays race. Obviously, it would not mean that w/o the 45 lbs, I would have been running with Murdick, but I am new to SM's, and don't know what kind of penalty I imposed on myself.

TIA,
Jack

jim kettelkamp

Region: GRR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jim kettelkamp     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

that is a great picture! my first race in the Miata is coming up this weekend. I think I'm more excited about it than my first Skippy race!

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

cool I am the silver and Red 99 with the red headlights in the top right.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Frank, congrats on a successful first race! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

htron435 Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA GLD
Car #: 113
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for htron435   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And notice all the "obsolete" cars running up front in that photo. I think Randy Shaw was the only 99 to finish either race in the top five. Not to start a tangent or anything [Smile]

--------------------
Jay
Car Dealer
ATC/Motiv Trailer Dealer
http://www.jaynorthauto.com

KachMiata

quote:
Originally posted by htron435:
And notice all the "obsolete" cars running up front in that photo. I think Randy Shaw was the only 99 to finish either race in the top five. Not to start a tangent or anything [Smile]

I was in the blue/white '99 and finished 6th on Sunday, despite it being my first time at Mid Ohio (no practice on Friday either) and only my second miata race weekend. But yes, the "obsolete" cars still got it.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

blue/shite ?

KachMiata

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
blue/shite ?

Edited [thumbsup]

omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

why are there so many red cars?

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There aren't more red cars. There are just less of the other colors.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

What's wrong with red cars?

I'm thinking about putting Ferrari stickers on my front fenders to impress the yolkles.

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Frank! Maybe I'll see you at some NASA Mid-West/Great Lakes Crossover events this year. I'll look for 'ya. I'll be in the red '95 Miata doing HPDE.

I'm still about a year off from actually diving in and going wheel-wheel. When I do, I'm sure I'll have to clean out my pants after the first race.

In the meantime, I'm on this forum to learn.

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
There aren't more red cars. There are just less of the other colors.

That has to be about the funniest thing I've read in quite awhile! Well done.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: