Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Add a supercharger to a 1.6 SM, what class

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Add a supercharger to a 1.6 SM, what class
Reggie Verified Driver

Region: Delta
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

in SCCA/NASA would the spec Miata run in, assuming Jackson Racing s/c without innercooler, but adding header? Thanks!

Jack Raymond Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 5
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jack Raymond   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I doubt that there is a category, but I'm not a rules expert. SCCA IT (Improved Touring) specifically prohibits super-charging and turbo-charging. SCCA Super-Touring is for old World Challenge cars. SCCA GT (Grand Touring) specifically prohibits super-charging and turbo-charging. SCCA T3 (Touring) does allow the 2004-2005 Mazdaspeed Miata and makes specific reference to "31mm turbo inlet restrictor is required", but they probably wouldn't allow your Jackson Racing supercharger.

I don't know about NASA (look for a rules book on their web site) but their rules are usually similar to SCCA's.

Good luck!

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe in the SCCA there are catch-all classes - SPU or SPO (depending on engine displacement).

I'm purty shur NASA has something similar, SU/SO?

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ITE?

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NASA is where you want to go if you want to run a unique car and have a chance to run up front. There are no SCCA classes where the car will be competitive.

NASA has PTE and Super Touring. PTE uses a point systen for mods, kind of like Grand Turismo, not sure if superchargers are allowed. The ST-2 class is a power to weight class so you can do whatever you want to make the power. It's really a pretty good formula that also includes tire size, aero mods, etc. I think the base weight is 3200lbs for the established power to weight ratio. As the weight decreases, so does your power ratio and vice versa if you are over weight. Use wider tires or slicks and you get less power.

The ST rules allow all kinds of cars to race together. I used to run my Factory Five Cobra in ST-2 against Corvettes, Vipers, Subaru STi's, Audi S-4, Evos, etc.

The reason the class works is because NASA uses a dyno to establish and confirm power levels, something that will probably never happen in the SCCA. [Wink] [Smash]

No, I'm not bashing the SCCA but I can tell you my Cobra will never be competitive in SCCA in SPO!

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't even think there are any SCCA classes where it would be legal. Most catagories require a fuel cell. The ones that don't require a fuel cell don't allow the supercharger.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ITE, STU would work.

Reggie Verified Driver

Region: Delta
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your advice. Reggie

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: