Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » trying to find thread about rolling the fenders

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: trying to find thread about rolling the fenders
Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

somebody started a thread about having to roll his fenders because of tire rub against the fender. Well, I just mounted my TD 1.2 wheels w/Kumho rubber on my DE Miata and I need to bend/roll my fenders.

Does anyone know where that thread went, or what's the best way to bend/roll my fender?

Thx

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did the front with a Rubber mallet, made small cuts every few inches and used the mallet to flatten it out. Some guys use a baseball bat. And there is a tool some shops have that bolt on to the lugs and does a good job. The rear i cut off with a wheel, double wall. the front I should of cut off, as the fenders show the impacts from the hammer.

Apex to Apex

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ehh, I've found a sledge is working fine enough to get me enough clearance. Not the most elegant. Just beating it out to get me the clearance I need.

Doesn't seem I can do much damage that way.

Since this is a DE car and I am not running the suspension kit springs, I'll put some tie wraps on my shocks and do a few laps for my first event and see how much roll I'm getting, and also monitor very closely whether I'm getting any tire rub.

Note: Oh yea, this is a car I don't care much about. I only paid $1200 for it. It's meant soley for track duty.

--------------------

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been using Eastwood's Fender Roller with good results. For the price you can't beat it.

-

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

Apex to Apex

Wrecker, Appreciate it. I'll stop by my auto parts store and look for one.

--------------------

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just use a hammer. Work slowly and evenly and you can roll them as far as you want.

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

racerfink Verified Driver
Gig 'em Aggies

Region: Central Florida Region
Car #: 111
Year : '90 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racerfink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pretty much only one place your gonna find that Eastwood tool, and that's the link he provided.

My dad had the fender roller that Eastwood carried, for his Vintage Volvo P1800, but it didn't work too well on the shape of the Miata fenders. Had to change it around several times on just one fender. Eventually just finished that one, plus the other three with a 2X4.

--------------------
'90 Spec Miata
'90 Street Miata
'96 Chevy 1500
http://www.AutoTechnikRacing.com
www.myspace.com/projecthband

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From under the shade tree we use a couple 1/8 thick pieces of wood with a channel lock pliers.

Be slow & be paitent. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Per the directions in the Eastwood catalog it is helpful to heat up the paint with a heat gun or hair drier while doing this to keep the paint flexible so that it doesn't crack.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used an aluminium softball bat & a floor jack. Raised the car some, insert bat between fender & tire, lower car til light contact, roll, lower, repeat until desired results. Heating paint sounds like a good idea.
Saw a very nice fender roller @ the track this past weekend. Makes my bat technique look like a booger.

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just use a BFH and do it on a hot day in the sun. It should take about 2 minutes per wheel!

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike C has it right.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Longo:
Saw a very nice fender roller @ the track this past weekend. Makes my bat technique look like a booger.

...which I was using and it took about a minute per fender to complete the process. Some slight paint cracking but who cares...much less than a contact incident while racing.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also use the Mike C method, and seem to have to do this a few times a year due to close encounters of the SM kind.....

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Apex to Apex

The BFH has worked on the front. I'll need to snip/cut the rear where it flairs out at 90 degrees inside the wheel well so it'll bend. Then the BFH should work.

I'm not going for looks, I'm going for function.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm running stock/near stock springs so I wonder how much roll I can expect? First session I'll probably come in after a few laps and check for any rubbing.

--------------------

Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just did mine a couple of weekends ago.

One trip to walmart. Purchase wood kiddie bat as it's easier on the paint. Floor jack to get bat inside of fender lower and roll and done. 2-3min per tire.

You don't have to roll the entire lip just the top where it's going to interfere with the tire.

--------------------
Trakmnky

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So does that mean no one in the NE SM community has one for rent?

I wanted to run my PR1.2's at NHMS this weekend (+30 offset) with my 5mm spacers but thanks to Vick managed to avoid screwing up brand new tires.

So, heat gun, BFH/wood/bat is something like 75% of the quality of what a true tool would be roughly?

Meh - after seeing up close the cars that were on track perhaps a few fender dents would be appropriate? [Wink]

TIA,
Brandon

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you don't screw the tires up that bad.....but it's interesting hearing the high pitched whine of your tires being chewed up in a turn......real interesting at limerock at least.

heat gun and a hammer......it won't look that bad. i did mine no heat gun and you probably never would have noticed under the dirt and toyo stickers.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Vick:
[QB] you don't screw the tires up that bad.....but it's interesting hearing the high pitched whine of your tires being chewed up in a turn......real interesting at limerock at least.
/QB]

It can screw them up badly. When I found mine rubbing it wasn't bad but a guy parked next to me in Portland last year sliced one of his brand new front tires all the way to the cords. It looked like it was done with a box cutter. That's when I learned the paddock method using a thick jack handle.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: