Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » How much does HP and TQ mean in regard to lap time (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: How much does HP and TQ mean in regard to lap time
Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We often find ourselves talking and debating HP and TQ. Just curious what people think 10 hp and 7 ft lbs does to lap times at Road America. A 4 mile track, arguably the biggest HP track in the country?

Same setup, same driver, same conditions.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Have you setup Bosch Lapsim to give you an answer?

For simple changes like weight and HP, it give me what look like accurate #s. Also, being a sim it's perfectly repeatable.

-Kyle

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was asked to drive someone's car that was down on power earlier this year. We were running our hp track configuration with two long straights. Not the same car, but I was 2 seconds slower than my car. I'm guessing it was closer to 5-7hp down on power. The setup on the car felt good, but that's probably always the case when you're going slower [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Blinkie, [rolling on floor laughin] it was great chatting with you this weekend. Great job re-setting the car & driving on Sunday.

Shouldn't we be saying, "How much does TQ and HP mean in regard to lap time at Road America?" TQ gets you there and HP keeps you there. [Wink]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dragey;
in a 1.6, 1.8 or '99 ? ... all will have different spreads under your scenarios.
also; less 10 hp & 7 tq from your present 128/117 or from my soon to be 118/103 ??
too many variables but should not be more than 1.5 sec same vs same at RA.

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought he said same driver same car, so it shouldn't matter

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just an observation: People with pro motors often claim that they're only worth a second or so on a 2 minute track.

Since there is less than 10rwhp/7torque difference between a typical crate motor and a typical pro motor, I would think that 10rwhp/7torque would make more than 2.25 seconds of difference on a 4 mile road course.

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:
I thought he said same driver same car, so it shouldn't matter

Pat;
yes, same car, same driver, same conditions.
But, in a 1.6 same as above or a '99 same as above, that hp & tq difference will create a different spread in lap times.
he did mean a '99 btw ...

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

10 hp is 8.3% increase on a motor with 120 hp. So, if the winner turned a 2:44, with an 8.3% increase, you would be looking at 13.8 seconds. This, of course, means nothing.

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This poll should end up providing a group hypothesis (or what looks to be 2...). Is there some data to prove the validity of this hypothesis????

edit: I'll be at the Sprints in a 1.6L. I'd be more than happy to be a guinea pig here and collect/share the data. Run practice/qual 1 with my current tired old motor and then run a well prepped strong motor for Q2/race.... I just need a motor and some help swapping [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes there is..I ran my car less plate and 25 lbs this weekend in STU.. all else was the same.. so don't cheat. Take a fair guess, I will say my guess was way wrong.
Jim

[ 05-24-2010, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Drago ]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good stuff Jim, I'll be interested to see what the result was.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
I ran my car less plate in STU.. Jim

Roger Burdette did precisely this at Road Atlanta this weekend to get more tracktime. In one of your '99's

[*] He pulled the Plate
[*] He switched to Hoosiers from RA-1's - generally faster than RA-1's
[*] He did not remove weight

I will let him chime in regarding the precise time difference, but I can tell you there was VERY LITTLE difference.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My guess it about .75 to 1 second per lap all by himself.

Now put two +10 hp cars together and let the guy with the -10 try to follow. I suspect once they get away from him they put 2+ seconds a lap on him even if he had a similarly powered drafting partner.

I am guessing at high speeds the drag created is quite a bit more than a mere 10 hp can overcome. Put those two +10 hp cars in a draft togeter and knock that drag coeficent down and boom they check out.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

maybe it was just my Hoosiers but I was always faster on ra-1s than with hoosier sm6s. I had about the same cornering G but the hoosiers sucked down the straights.

I still think its 1.5-2.5 seconds and thats on a 2 mile track, so 4 miles, who knows.

Kyle

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Half a second a lap over 10 laps is.. umm.. I think the leader is out there somewhere...

Oh, there he is.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got a 1.6 with 110 hp 104 tq I know 2 guys with pro engines one dynoed at same place as me had 10 hp more, runs about 9 secs. a lap faster. I know he is a better driver than I am you say how much faster the car is than mine. Another driver is 6 mph on every straight at sebring faster than me and 7-8 at daytonas front straight even more in a draft than I can get in a draft 130 to my 118. Another person 9 secs.a lap faster. I can not stay in the draft of a top car I am guessing their car is 4 secs. a lap faster. I am running as fast or slightly faster as the previous owner of my car. Both tracks are about 3.65 miles.

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by disquek:
Have you setup Bosch Lapsim to give you an answer?

For simple changes like weight and HP, it give me what look like accurate #s. Also, being a sim it's perfectly repeatable.

-Kyle

+1 simulate it. I'd guess it's over 2 seconds, but I tend to get killed at horsepower tracks. That might be throwing my perception off some.

(since you brought it up Jim, I am guessing it's gonna be small)

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you're winning, 0 seconds. If you're losing and have verified you're down on power, 3 seconds. If you're losing and think you're down on power, but have no proof, 7 seconds.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Rich:
If you're winning, 0 seconds. If you're losing and have verified you're down on power, 3 seconds. If you're losing and think you're down on power, but have no proof, 7 seconds.

I think we have a winner [Smile] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

how long do we have to wait for the answer?

MegaModerator

If you want the answer, pm me,otherwise lets let it run a few days or until it dies out
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This would have to be done with same driver,same car,same day,and same track condition's to be accurate!

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

to my knowledge it was.by drago at ra same day ect...

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B(Kuch) Kucera 45:
This would have to be done with same driver,same car,same day,and same track condition's to be accurate!

For Roger at Atlanta this weekend sessions were within 30 mins, same car, same driver, same conditions

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Dennis Valet

Region: NYR/North East Division
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Valet     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ask the SRF racers how much a lap the wacky fuel got them at the sprints last year (hint, an insane amount).....that can't be more than a few horsepower.

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
quote:
Originally posted by B(Kuch) Kucera 45:

For Roger at Atlanta this weekend sessions were within 30 mins, same car, same driver, same conditions
[thumbsup]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't think I want to know. The way it stands today, I can rationalize my motor probably costs me a couple seconds, my suspension setup isn't the best. Lets say another 1.5 there. I don't get the trick shaved tires. That has to be good for at least another second. When you add all that kind of stuff up, suddenly I'm a world class driver with lousy prep! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cintibob:
I got a 1.6 with 110 hp 104 tq I know 2 guys with pro engines one dynoed at same place as me had 10 hp more, runs about 9 secs. a lap faster. I know he is a better driver than I am you say how much faster the car is than mine. Another driver is 6 mph on every straight at sebring faster than me and 7-8 at daytonas front straight even more in a draft than I can get in a draft 130 to my 118. Another person 9 secs.a lap faster. I can not stay in the draft of a top car I am guessing their car is 4 secs. a lap faster. I am running as fast or slightly faster as the previous owner of my car. Both tracks are about 3.65 miles.

This guy must have +10 hp and 7 tq, because THAT was hard to follow!

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I don't think I want to know. The way it stands today, I can rationalize my motor probably costs me a couple seconds, my suspension setup isn't the best. Lets say another 1.5 there. I don't get the trick shaved tires. That has to be good for at least another second. When you add all that kind of stuff up, suddenly I'm a world class driver with lousy prep! [Big Grin]

Keith, let's talk sometime. All those things get you a couple tenths. This is amateur racing, which means we have plenty of time to become a world class driver (or at least a region class driver). There is a proven progession to making this happen over time, which I'm always happy to share with anyone.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In our first race ever with 106hp/101tq we were 2.5 sec. off the top 5 cars average lap speed(2.9 mile course). Assuming they were getting everything out of their 118-125hp cars and we have room for improved driving skills...I would say not as much as you would think! [Smile]

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

IMHO a fast driver in a slow car will always go faster than a slow driver in a fast car.....

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm guessing between .892 and 1.263?

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I kind of tried this 3 years ago.

See thread-

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/43/3290/2.html#000054

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

MegaModerator

Matt
While this was not the original intent, the intent was to try and win STU,which I did and couldn't with a plate in. For many of the reasons people complain about, lap times weren't so far off, but I couldn't pass anywhere or make a pass stick.

My experiment, had far less variables,but I'm sure still far from perfect. But it was me, same day, same car, same track, same tires, exact same setup and at a track that I feel I can drive in my sleep at this point. When I get ca back, I will download the data and compare actual and TBL and see what I get, I obviously know the actual.

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Drago - will you be able to match your data with video to determine how much impact there was on your fast laps from drafting and/or coasting/over-braking/non-ideal line due to cars in front of you?

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

MegaModerator

no, new video camera out smarted me [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My unmassaged stock crate motor runs about a second per lap faster at NHMS (@1.5 miles) with no plate or weight (over 100#) and the same RA1s.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

MegaModerator

well answers were all over the place, While I don't claim that it is a perfect analysis, it is as good as I could get and I feel like I drove pretty well and pretty similar in both classes.. Even with the blinker on in both races! Becoming a trademark. [Big Grin]

Time difference was 1.2 seconds... My guess would have been over 2 seconds... roughly .1 second per HP, results are on My laps

Jim

5 to .75 seconds 8% (7)

.75 to 1.0 seconds 16% (14)

1.0 to 1.25 seconds 17% (15)

1.25 to 1.5 seconds 9% (8)

1.5 seconds to 1.75 seconds 8% (7)

1.75 to 2.0 seconds 12% (10)

2.0 to 2.25 seconds 13% (11)

2.25 or more 16% (14)

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for posting, Jim!

I was thinking right around a second for our tracks here in NorCal (2.5 to 3.0 miles) and extrapolated and guessed right!

When you say that you couldn't get by or couldn't make passes stick, what sort of cars were you running against?

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

MegaModerator

The cars I had to race were a Z4 and an MX5 cup car, the rest were slower and no "true" STU cars there or it wouldn't have mattered. When I ran SSB last year, I could run similar lap times to Z4, but could not race them.

I also would say, it may be entirely possible that this 1.2 seconds on a 4 mile track may be still close on shorter track, could be that even 10 more Hp wasn't enough to push the car much faster on long straights. But in small bull ring like limerock or something, maybe it helps just as much? This is just my experience at this track. Nothing scientific there, just some of my rambling
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Bellwilliam Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

doesn't the plate just choke off top end ? whereas a pro motor has more power everywhere.

Sean Yepez Verified Driver
Team Keeblerspeed

Region: SF
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
The cars I had to race were a Z4 and an MX5 cup car, the rest were slower and no "true" STU cars there or it wouldn't have mattered. When I ran SSB last year, I could run similar lap times to Z4, but could not race them.

I also would say, it may be entirely possible that this 1.2 seconds on a 4 mile track may be still close on shorter track, could be that even 10 more Hp was enough to push the car much faster on long straights. But in small bull ring like limerock or something, maybe it helps just as much? Nothing scientific there, just some of my rambling
Jim

Do you think you could have run even faster if you had more time to optimize your driving for the increased power?

I know that I pulled my plate for some mixed class race after SM and I did not get much faster. Then again, I have a bigger plate.

--------------------
2008 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim,

You show up around the 2:00 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g73q0GfqqbM

--------------------
-Bob Adams

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Becoming a trademark. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

[rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Jim Venable

Region: NW
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Venable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bob,

Very nice video quality. What system is it?

Jim
"Nice Guy Jim Racing"

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Yepez:
Do you think you could have run even faster if you had more time to optimize your driving for the increased power?

[/QB]

I don't think so, all I had to do was change the braking points a little and I picked that up in a few laps. That and little more feathering of throttle threw the carousel, other than that, you really couldnt even tell the plate was out. Maybe hadI beenaround other SM's, I would have noticed more?
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Blinker works... ;-)

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have no idea. A HP racer posted it on the prodforum.

Jim, how much faster do you think you could have gone without the right blinker loading up your charging system and sapping engine power? [Smash]

nice driving btw

--------------------
-Bob Adams

MegaModerator

In all seriousness, that dam blinker is on every session [boggled]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: