Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » june sprints (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: june sprints
Matthew Van Vurst

Region: florida region
Car #: 08
SMIM: sm
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matthew Van Vurst   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone know if there will be live timing and scoring for the June Sprints [help]

--------------------
Do you smell something delicious cooking in the oven? SHAKE AND BAKE!

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will bring my phone with me, I should have time to text you after I finish and let you know how Chip does [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh boy. [Smile]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Matthew Van Vurst

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matthew Van Vurst   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[rolling on floor laughin] [nope]

--------------------

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
I will bring my phone with me, I should have time to text you after I finish and let you know how Chip does [Big Grin]

That's a good one Jim! Hope the trash talk doesn't backfire. Good luck this weekend and tell Ed hi.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cajun Miata Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Drago:

That's a good one Jim! Hope the trash talk doesn't backfire. Good luck this weekend and tell Ed hi.
The banter is far more fun than these races, i may be in the gravel turn 1, lap 1 ( or t12 lap 1 like a few weeks ago [Wink] )

All in fun, considering most normal people answer the phone with ' Hello", where Chip and I answer with "I am going to kick you A$$" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

And I am miserable that they are all testing and I am sitting here at my computer twork [Frown]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Matthew Van Vurst

Drago you better check on Chippy your in trouble! [Big Grin]

--------------------

POWERSS Verified Driver

Region: SOPAC
Car #: 81
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for POWERSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any Qualifying results from RA yet?

--------------------
2009 SOPAC Division Champion

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Provisional qualifying
Drago 45.5 99
VanVurst 46.4 99
Charbonneau 46.4 99
Slattery 1.6
Steyn 99
Berry 99
Whitis 99
Sandlin 99

I guessed at the car years, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

[ 06-26-2010, 04:37 AM: Message edited by: Blake Clements ]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

POWERSS Verified Driver

Region: SOPAC
Car #: 81
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for POWERSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is Sammy V there?

--------------------
2009 SOPAC Division Champion

MegaModerator

I think Sammy is 9 or 10

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What year car is everyone driving?

--------------------
Paul McLester

mtm68 Verified Driver

Region: CalClub/ SFR
Car #: 67
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mtm68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

a 99, duh! [Wink]

--------------------
-
Marcus Miller
ITA 1.6 for sale- ish
ITE / ST2 Turbo 1.6 (in progress)

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mtm68:
a 99, duh! [Wink]

there are 95s in the top of mid, there are some 99s at the bottom. field is fairly mixed. (not enough for a 91 driver [Smile] )

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like I need to buy Slattery a kringle and some beers for some secretz [Razz]

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

slattery is a 1.6 correct? i was told sammy v is 3rd drago second, and carbonneau on pole

[ 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: techchris ]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SCCA.com has all of the results for practice, qual, and race

--------------------
Paul McLester

MegaModerator

Good luck today to everyone! I think Jim has his hands full to pull off another Sprints win today.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From where I sit (back in 5th), Carbonuckle seems to be the man to beat.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Good luck to all of the drivers representing the Central Florida and Florida regions!

--------------------
Paul McLester

joe v

Region: Southeast
Icon 1 posted  Profile for joe v     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
SCCA.com has all of the results for practice, qual, and race

Anybody else having trouble login in on the scca
link? my computer keeps locking up.

--------------------
Be Ready! "To Win the race" before you load the car.

Just went there and looked at results with no problem.

--------------------
Paul McLester

joe v

Icon 1 posted  Profile for joe v     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Paul
Must be my computer, went back several times
and it opens to the home page and at 6 items left
to open it just locks up.

Just have to hope someone will post what has happened and what is going and went on.

--------------------
Be Ready! "To Win the race" before you load the car.

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
From where I sit (back in 5th), Carbonuckle seems to be the man to beat.

I don't doubt that, but Big Jimbo has a long history there and seems to "make it happen". It's really going to turn out to be a "who is with who" race on strategy and drafting.

I also heard it may be a rain race. Might as well give the trophy to you Danny.

Good luck guys.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

wow congrats Danny!

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Nice job Danny! Did it rain?

Results http://scca.com/eventitems.aspx?item=280&event=16582&hub=1

--------------------
Paul McLester

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow!
Congrats to Danny for the win, and to Craig Berry in 2nd for SoWDiv!

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Overdog Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

With those times, it had to be raining and/or wet. Normal lap times for SM are about 2:45-2:46.xx or so.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

PEATMOSS

Region: BUCCANNEER #34
Car #: 46
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PEATMOSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[thumbsup] Congrats Danny!!!
Nice victory to add to your collection! Good picture on SCCA web site under event photos! [rockband]

--------------------
PETER BOGART
REGION 34
"The home of Roebling Road"

Flow Bench Verified Driver

Car #: 4
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Flow Bench   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Way to go Danny, Ice racing in Denmark...Hmmm. Great job and you deserve it!

--------------------
----------------------------------
Craig Foster #4 Atlanta Region SM Champion 2009, 2010
Delainey Motorsport, LLC
Farnbacher - OPM - East Street Auto - Rogaine

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Danny. Post video of the spin on the pace lap!

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

From the Article on the main page SCCA.com

"The rain stopped before the Touring 3, SSB, SSC and Spec Miata race took the green, but the course was still damp and officials gave an additional 15 minutes to racers to change tires on the grid."

Dennis

mark pombo Verified Driver
2005 ARRC Winner

Region: southeast
Car #: 10
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mark pombo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great Job Danny!

--------------------
Mark Pombo
Pombo Racing/PFM Engineering

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys for all the props - yeah I know - BIG SURPRISE to all - especially me!!!!...

and for anyone interested in the race report, here it is.....

Spec Miata Community is the best
I cannot say enough about the SM racers. This past weekend was my first visit to the legendary Road America course and I was a bit apprehensive about the track and the depth of the field. On the test and practice days, the engine misfire that shut me down at the Road Atlanta National, returned and I spent two miserable days sputtering around the track. Tom changed all the usual suspects to no avail.

I was ready to fly home, but Chip van Vurst persuaded me to change out the wiring harness. He provided the harness, and Drago’s young mechanic JB did the work on Friday night. A big shout out to Chip, JB, Drago, Tom and Tim from OPM, Mark from Freedom and Dave from Advanced who all lent a hand over the weekend.

Qualifying
On Saturday morning we were back in business and with the first sputter-free laps I managed to qualify 5th, a little more than a second off Charbonneau’s pole time. I was more than happy as it was my first time to the track and while I was hoping for a top 10 finish, I knew that I would get faster running with the faster guys.

Final Grid was

(1)Charbonneau (2)Drago
(3)Valafar (4)Van Vurst
(5)Steyn (6)Whitis
(7)Berry (8)Slattery
(9)Sandlin) (10)Gerber

Race
Rain was predicted throughout the day. Weather was moving in fast. The radar showed that it would hit by race time, but that it would not last long – maybe 20 minutes at most. I gambled and went to the grid on rain tires. As we got to the grid, the drops started falling, they called it a rain race and delayed the start by 15 minutes to allow everyone to change to rain tires. This meant that the rain might actually pass before we started. As it was, it was still raining when we went out on our warm up lap. Everyone up front was on rain tires.

I had never done a lap in the wet at the track and had no idea on the rain line. Several opinions on the rain line had been expressed to me prior to the start. Looking back I should never have listened!!!!

The track was wet but there was no standing water. There appeared to be decent grip on the track as we went out, but after T5 it was a different story. I almost looped it on the exit of T5 and then actually did loop it exiting T6 (fortunately holding my spot). That made me real tentative for the rest of the track. Unfortunately in my haste I only remembered to turn on my Traqmate video at T12 and do not have my auspicious loop on video!

On the uphill run to the start I got caught unawares at how fast we would start and got skunked, and being a bit tentative, I got passed and slowly fell back to 8th on a slippery track. Chip went out at the start with a misfire. Bye the time we started our second lap there were lots of yellow flags with guys in sand traps and walls everywhere, and we went to FCY on lap 3. We were behind the pace car for about 3 laps. This turned out to be my saving grace as I had more time to experiment and learn the different grip levels in every corner and ultimately figure out the rain line.

Stupid me, once again I was really slow up to speed on the restart, crossing the line about 15 seconds behind Craig Berry who had driven from 7th to the front of the SM class.

But now armed with an understanding of the rain grip around the track, I was able to pick up my pace and I started closing in and picking up spots. I moved up to 4th and was directly behind Sammy when he tried to stick it under Drago in T14 pushing Jim into the grass, and that got me to 2nd and within the next lap I was able to get to the back bumper of Berry. Craig and I had a ding dong up front, with Sammy Valafar and Shawn Slattery hot on our bumpers. On lap 10, I made a move on Craig on the inside of T3 and with a bump from Shawn I made the pass stick going into T5.

The track was drying and you continually had to experiment looking for a faster line. Unfortunately when you are in front you are teaching everyone directly behind you what is working and what is not, so it was difficult to get away. Craig was never more than a few car lengths off my bumper. I would gap him in places and he was faster than me in others. Traffic also played a part in keeping us all together.

On the final lap, coming down the back straight to T5 Craig had a run in my tow. He made the move to the inside and I let him have the inside and he made the pass, but I was able to square it off and get back inside him, and he missed the shift leading to T6, and that gave me a bit of a gap. Craig chased me down through the carousel and he was flat through the kink while I was breathing a hair. He came up to my bumper in T12, but I was able to hold it to the finish. Shawn passed Sammy to take third.

Pretty stoked to win my first race at Road America. Feel bad for Drago for being knocked off and for Chip who developed a miss on the outlap.

Congrats to Derek Whitis who ran the fastest lap of the race.....so much for not being a rain driver Derek.

Impound
The top three were called to impound. After weighing, SCCA tech did various things to the top three cars, checking restrictor plates, taking the manifolds and cylinder head off my Rossini engine, taking fuel samples from all 3, taking the airbox off Slattery’s 1.6. I believe they bounced his car. Not sure what the infraction was. So that would move up Valafar whose car did not have to go through tech. Tech was relatively quick – 3-4 hours and Tom was able to get packed up and head home. Was surprised that they only teched the top three and not more.

Final thoughts
Cannot thank Chip and JB enough for their help to get me back in the race. JB was able to replace the wiring harness from the engine to the ECU without taking off the dash. Oh to be young and slim again!!!

Loved racing with Craig Berry, super nice guy, very clean yet aggressive driver, we went side by side through many turns on many laps and never touched. We helped each other when we could. Craig is really confident in the wet and will be tough to beat in a real rain race.

I feel bad for Shawn as I really enjoyed racing with him. He too raced me clean and we would work together where we could.

And most importantly I have to thank Tom at OPM Autosports for showing that my new car is not just good looking, but also competitive. Thanks to Mike Rossini at Rossini engines for building me a great motor that was able to hang with the big dogs. And thanks to Glenn at Traqmate for the great data package. And of course my long suffering wife Kim who had to put up with my frustration on the first two days.

Still hasnt sunk in yet!!!!! Look forward to mixing it up again with everyone all real soon.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Overdog Driver

Danny,

Congrats for a great win and a nice race report. Also, kudos to our SOWDIV racing bud Craig Berry for his strong run. Really good in the wet (way better than me) and I don't like to see him on my bumper in the dry either.

Sorry to hear that Jim's attempt at a repeat ended early.

See you all in September!

--------------------
James York

sponsored by: