Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Wild ride at the Watkins Glen July Sprints (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: Wild ride at the Watkins Glen July Sprints
Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will write a race commentary and post video when I have had a chance to edit, but in the interim, I thought I would post a video frame grab to give you a teaser of the wild ride I had this weekend.

George, like you I was four wheels completely airborne, and while you might have me beat in terms of altitude, it's not by much!

This is a way cool perspective.....  -

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

R. Spence Verified Driver

Region: 03, Atlanta
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for R. Spence   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

WOW Danny that looks like a wild ride! Is your car OK?

--------------------
Robert Spence

Midtown Tire Inc, Goodyear Gemini Auto Care
OPM Autosports,Race Engineering, Autotech Supply, Halco,BG Products

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks expensive. [Frown]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

DW Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
WBR Graphics

Region: WDCR
Car #: 36
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DW   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

dislike. Hope everyone is ok

--------------------
Darrell Wheeler
-------------------
WBR Graphics
King RAT Motorsports
PBC Automotive
Meathead Racing

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Screw the car!! How are you Danny? Since you are walking, talking and typing I'm going to guess you are OK. Looking at the picture, the sounds and lyrics of Jack Johnson's "Upside Down" keep playing in my head. It might be a good sound track for your final edit of the video. Take care Mate. See ya back in Fl.

panic motorsports Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SCR
Car #: 90
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like pices of debris flying in the upper LH corner, get your hands off the wheel BTW [Wink]

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok
#90 SM 2008/2009 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM champions.
2010 VIR 13 hour enduro victorious! www.panicmotorsports.com
Need a salvage Miata part? We've got that!

Gary Giles Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 98
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gary Giles     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
get your hands off the wheel BTW [Wink]
I'm pretty sure Danny was trying to steer the dang thang in the air. Glad you are alright Danny. That is an incredible picture.

--------------------
ďGet your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.Ē ~~ Mark Twain

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow! There is not much you can do but to hang on for the ride. I do remember thinking to myself," Oh this is going to hurt". I hope you and all other parties plus the car will be alright.

Take Care,
George Munson [Frown]

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by panic motorsports:
Looks like pices of debris flying in the upper LH corner, get your hands off the wheel BTW [Wink]

Good advice! I have a thumb full of titanium that is going [thumbsup]

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Adam Figarsky

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

oh man...hope everyone is ok...
--

--------------------
TeamFigMented

2009 NARRC and NYSRRC SSM Champion
2009 SSM NESCCA Enduro Series Champion

Chris Fulton

Region: CFR
Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cool Photo, hope everyone is OK. Look forward to the recap!

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, is that the new car (I see the blue digital gauges)? I hope you and everyone else and your beautiful car made it through ok.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny didn't even have time to blink. Wait till you see that video.

Glad Mike was ok. Again...wait till you see that video...be sitting

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny,

How is the toe? Broken?

Glad you walked to the rental car and was ok. See you next time out.

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Was this in the rain or dry?

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was dry. Glad everyone was ok. I am not sure I have seen a car as torn up as Mike's was. All are lucky they weren't hurt.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry Mike and Danny. That just plain sucks... first class cars.

Tim, how did you do? Who won?

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I finished sixth both days. Gorrarian won both days.

I will say there are some big budgets out there for National racing. My eyes are still watering.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Waterboy:
I finished sixth both days. Gorrarian won both days.

I will say there are some big budgets out there for National racing. My eyes are still watering.

Gee ya think!

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

soupy

Region: Mohud
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tim, You're looking at it wrong. I finished 5th both days. I look at their race budget and mine and just get a big smile.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Waterboy:
My eyes are still watering.

Yep, the $40/gallon stuff will do that... [yep]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What a great track. For those of my buddies in the SE, you really need to make the trip next year. The track itself is great, its fast, technical, needs some local knowledge to get the setup right and it also requires some gonads in places. The facility is excellent.

July Sprints is a big deal and SM had more than 45 entries for the National. Steve Gorriaran (Runoffs winner) is the man up there and holds the track record. He was solidly fast all weekend, and won both races.

In terms of SEDIv drivers, Autotechnic was represented by Cliffy Brown, Andrew V, and Jeffy Boy, while Dennis Bize, Eric Brumme and the other usual suspects were there from BSI. Under the OPM tent were myself, Dave College, John Peterson, Chris Brown, Brent Milner and Dan Moen in Todd Lamb's ex purple Barney. Very impressed to see how many made it up there.

For Cliffy, Von C and me it was the first time at the track. It was also impressive to see how the SE drivers qualified. Von C appeared to be on pole with a 2.18.3 although some timing and scoring mix-up put him 3rd, Steve G was then on pole, I started 2nd, Von C 3rd and Cliff B was 4th. Was pretty stoked that we were up to speed quickly.

Once again we were grouped with T3, SSB and SSC. We really should have made a big deal about splitting the class. As Gorilla said in a previous thread, and I certainly concur, this is NUTS, having the SMís start mixed up with 250HP cars that cannot corner is going to get someone killed. The frustration level (for both drivers) just builds and builds.

I got so skunked by the red Mazda 3 driver who qualified behind me, flew past me on the start then parked it in T1, and put me from 2nd to 12th on the exit of T1. Are you kidding me? You spend a fortune going up there, you work your but off on setup and data, and then someone not competing with you puts you down 10 places in the first turn.

After lap 1 there was a FCY for drivers in the wall in T3/4. We circulated under FCY for almost 3 laps.

Got restarted and had to try and move up from 11th. Jeffy Boy and David Lendrum ahead of me were getting skunked by a black SS BMW, that was allowing the group ahead to gap us. I was chasing for all I had. Ahead of us were a tight group of 4-5 Miatas with Mike Collins in the bunch.

I tried to make a pass on David coming in to the busstop but didnít have it completed, so I backed out allowing him ahead of me. As we exited the busstop my strategy then shifted to hounding him around T5 so I could outbreak him coming into T6. Flat out on the gas exiting the busstop I see his lights come on and he turns in so in that millisecond I open my hands to go for the outside pass in T5, only to find out at the last second why he was breaking. There, parked on the exit is Mike Collinsí car. David slides sideways into Meathead, rips off his rear wheel and Meatheadís front when. I connect Meatheadís front wheel and get launched into the air and have a perfect view of Davidís car still sliding ahead of me.

I slide to a stop against the Armco and my race is done. The first class EMT guys pick all three drivers up and we end up at the excellent medical facility together. Finally get to meet David for the first time, unfortunately under these circumstances. We all get checked out OK. Later I realize my ankle is messed up and my toe is broken and I return to the Medical facility.

David and I both have fixable cars. Meathead has nothing left of his. It could have been so much worse. We were all incredibly lucky this time.

Mike Collins, or anyone else with a good viewpoint, when you get a chance, be a good sport and post a video of your incident so we can see how you ended up where you did.

Hereís the video of the wild ride - large file 23mb (right click save as)
Wild ride at Watkins Glen

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

PS first time with a new Sony HD video camera - had it set to auto focus and on impact the AAF hunts. Now have the focus set and locked on infinity, so the next one will be in focus for the whole wild ride!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow Danny, glad you are ok.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am so glad you are all okay!

--------------------
Paul McLester

PS - for those of you not running HALO seats - take a look in the rear view mirror at the Racetech halo seat doing its job at around 2:20 in the slow mo - and that was a slow mild impact with the Armco.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny,

Please don't take anymore footage of crashes just to entertain us. Wow, the slow motion shows just how little time you have to react when things go wrong even with your fast hands. Very happy to hear everyone was relatively unscathed.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny
That is one of the few things that really scares me about racing. High speed with no time to react or take evasive action.
Had Collins been spun the other way and one or both him him in the drivers door, he would be dead. Very scary stuff... Glad all were Ok.

Track looks like fun!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Jim - as I said - we got lucky - this time. Could have been so much worse.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, nobody tell my wife about this video. I finally got her to warm up to the idea of going to WGI to race after years of hearing horror stories about the place.

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's probably a very good thing that the 65 car clipped Mike before you got there... It got him moving in the right direction before he received all of the momentum you could impart on him.

Cars are replaceable... Glad to hear everyone is OK!!

Eric

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad you guys are OK. Scary stuff.

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad to hear you,Mike,and David walked away. We love Watkins Glen and the Glen Region workers and crew are Great !

The Bus Stop can bite you. I cant see what happened to Mike. Did he just lose it coming out of the bus stop?

Thank God you guys came out O.K. !!

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

quote:
Originally posted by EBudman:
It's probably a very good thing that the 65 car clipped Mike before you got there... It got him moving in the right direction before he received all of the momentum you could impart on him.
Eric

Spot on Eric - Mike gets turned and his wheel gets ripped off and provides the ramp for my left tire to ride over and launch my car over him. This very much minimizes the energy impulse that would have been transferred into Mike's car had he not been turned away.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

any video from behind you?

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

htron435 Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA GLD
Car #: 113
Icon 1 posted  Profile for htron435   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by EBudman:

Eric

Exactly what I was thinking as I watched the video. Glad you all walked away.

--------------------
Jay
Car Dealer
ATC/Motiv Trailer Dealer
http://www.jaynorthauto.com

Dave C

Car #: 28
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave C     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some scary stuff. I was just behind but of course that's the time my video didn't work. There were a lot of double yellow laps. Seemed like half of the 2 races were behind the pace car.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What did the Trackmate say?

Wow. Glad you are ok... Meathead too!

A couple of years ago, a guy spun in front of me and parked it right in front of me. I hit him square in the driver's door so hard that it wrinkled the transmission tunnel on the car I was driving. I thought, "Oh no, he's dead." He found first gear and drove away.

He's still brain-damaged to this day, however. And fast. Bastard.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank heavens everyone is okay. It still is a dangerous sport and anything can happen. I'm just glad is happens a lot less often these days.

Having got "into the wall" last weekend, I know everyone is still feeling sore. Speedy recovery to you all.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
What did the Trackmate say?

Ow?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

it is a really bad sign to see brake lights on a miata in that corner......

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
He's still brain-damaged to this day, however. And fast. Bastard.

I thought it was Willie at first, then you added fast [Big Grin] [Eek!]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I liked the way the camera went out of focus. Kind of like what your brain did at the exact same time. I thought you added that as a special effect.
wheel

soupy

Region: Mohud
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On behalf on the NorthEast drivers, thank you all for coming up from the south. Sorry that some had a better time than others but hope all had enough fun to come back next year. I thought the Glen region did a very good job overall.
From me, it was very nice meeting a lot of new faces and making new friends.
Danny I hope you are feeling better soon. It was too bad, I thought you and I were going to have a lot of fun together out there.
As far as the race, unfortunately it's not the first time we've had one like that. The Glen is very unforgiving to mistakes. From what I hear the first incident was avoidable. Fortunately I was close enough to Mike to get a first hand view of what was about to happen. It just took me a second to figure out which way he was going to go. I missed being part of it by inches.
I'm was very glad to see Mike, Dave and Danny smiling later on. I know they'll be back.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad everyone is ok. Man!

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, I've never seen a car stay so perfectly hidden...the autofocus adds to the surreal flight...

Glad everyone is (mostly) ok...

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow. Glad everyone's relatively OK!

Danny, does your seat have a back brace?

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sheetz!

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just watched the video. Really glad you guys are all okay and will be able to race again soon. Cars can be fixed easily enough.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad to see You and Mike not get hurt. Scary how fast that came up.

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: