Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Wild ride at the Watkins Glen July Sprints (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Wild ride at the Watkins Glen July Sprints
Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Was Brian Billey anywhere in the NE Region when this happened?

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by soupy:
On behalf on the NorthEast drivers, thank you all for coming up from the south. Sorry that some had a better time than others but hope all had enough fun to come back next year. I thought the Glen region did a very good job overall.
From me, it was very nice meeting a lot of new faces and making new friends.

Charlie
good meeting you. Appreciate you coming over to our trailer to say hi - always nice to get welcomed like that. (same goes for Gorilla - much appreciated)

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Frog

Region: Buccaneer #34
Car #: 52
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frog   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good Lord Danny....the first time through I actually jumped in my seat! Very scary stuff. I'm glad you, Meat and all involved are OK.

Beautiful track to run on but she requires A LOT of respect.

--------------------
Lette-O
Celtic Racing #52
Buccaneer Region ITB Champ 2006,2007,2008,2009

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:
Glad to see You and Mike not get hurt. Scary how fast that came up.

Pat

It's ok Pat! You can put both feet in the water; it's not that hot [flamed]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John@P1:
Sheetz!

[rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Weird that two of the prettiest, freshly-built SMs are trashed in the same incident (Danny and Mike's, don't know the third involved). I'll stick with my "tractor paint" painted, home-built SM and hope that I NEVER encounter anything like this.

Glad everyone is okay. That made me poop a little.

I also must note that the fact that these were pro-built cars probably contributed mightily to the driver's being able to walk away. "Good Job!" to those builders.

panic motorsports Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SCR
Car #: 90
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John@P1:
Sheetz!

Some guys will do ANYTHING to get a new sponsor face time. Notice how squarely he parked to the camera car to get the side shot. [Wink]

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok
#90 SM 2008/2009 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM champions.
2010 VIR 13 hour enduro victorious! www.panicmotorsports.com
Need a salvage Miata part? We've got that!

Leah Epting Verified Driver

Region: Washington DC
Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Leah Epting     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ouch [Frown] Sorry to see this. Glad to hear everyone made it it out ok though. I love the Glen, but it really does have some nasty blue wrath.

racinglawyer Verified Driver
Old Member

Region: NEPA
Car #: 0
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racinglawyer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Everyone has pretty much said what I would have said...I just want you guys to know I'm happy you made it through the mess OK. cars can be fixed or replaced...people can't.

It could have been so much worse...don't try to figure what you could have done different...we can only play the hand that is dealt us.

See you all soon.

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
Love "the commander" Mike Cefalo

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any more footage on what caused the whole mess?

Glad everyone made it out OK

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think Mike just lost it on his own and tapped armco. Then the rest came threw

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The vidio in my head just shows Mike hitting the curbing wrong on entry and upsetting the car. There is a very fine line there if you are going to use them. Believe me a lot of us have done it. At first I thought he was going to save it but it finally got away from him. Valiant effort though.
It was just one of those racing things. Accually it was amazing with that many cars that close, I cann't believe more weren't involved.
So glad everyone is fine and will be back.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One more thing I would like to add about this great class we compete in.

While on my drive to the Syracuse airport after Saturdays wreck I got a call from Tom Fowler saying that both Andrew Charbonneau and Steve Goriaran had approached him and offered their cars to me for the Sunday's race.

What incredible gestures from both of you. Thanks you both. And it makes me appreciate even more this class and the camaraderie we have for our fellow racer.

And thanks to those that called and emailed to check on my condition. Much appreciated. Just a black and blue broken toe for me. We were all very lucky.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The same offer was made to Mike Collins...you can't beat a group of guys that would offer up their own hardware to keep you in the game.

THAT....is SM

klendrum Verified Driver

Region: mohud
Car #: 62
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for klendrum   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Watkins Glen the other view.

We race as a family, there are 5 of us, my brother and my three sons. We have 5 Spec Miatas. 3 were in this race. David's car is also a well built car with an incredible cage. It does run on POG with a stock ECU. Consiquenly there were 20 cars with more speed than his.

I chose to run our Subaru in STU and was watching this race from the bleachers in the esses.

The first crash was caused by an attempted pass on the outside of turn 2, you can not pass there since the car in front of you is focused on the apex at the top of the hill and will never know you are there. The overtaking car got squezed over the left side curbing, with 2 wheels on the grass it spun out and took a bunch of cars with it. I think it is actually worse watching a crash like this develop than it is to drive through it. You are correct, this crash should NOT have happened.

When the cars came around for the second full course yellow Davids car was missing. I carefully drove from the esses to the bus stop, it was a very long ride. David was still in the car, not a good sign but he did wave. So I turned around drove carefully to turn 11 where the rest of our family was, I picked up his wife and we made our way to the infirmary, another very long ride.

Danny Mike and David were inside. David appeared in the best shape of the three, he explained that Mike had hit the outside wall at the exit of the bus stop and came back onto the track in front of him. He had tried to turn and brake but he could not avoid Mike.

He said he was OK, Danny and Mike both nodded that they were OK also.

I left the infirmary and went to report to the rest of the family that everyone was OK. I tried to explain to Davids 3 year old daughter that daddy is ok and yes his car is banged up but we can fix it.

Here is the point! Some people are making a living from this class but realistically we all do this for fun.

Mike you and I have met often, when we made eye contact in the infirmary it was apparent that you realized that you had just cheeted the Devil. This clearly could have been much much worse. Mike I challenge you to remember that moment, realize that there are 3 year olds who watch their daddys race.

In the last 4 races that we have gone to they have all had crash videos that made it to this website. That is absured.

This track is surrounded with Armco, if you mess up it throws you back in front of your fellow drivers.

As a group we need to drive within our ability, stop trying to passs in zero percentage situations and have respect for the other drivers space.

Mike this needs to be your new quest!

Ken Lendrum

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken, you make some good points there but I'm going to have to stick up for Mike on this one.(not that he needs ME to do that) This was not one of those ill advised moves that gets everyone in trouble. Mike just missed the sweet spot, if you will, on the curbing and it upset the car. You and I have seen a lot of people do that. The only thing he MAYBE he could have done differently was to give up sooner on trying to save it. But how many of us have done that too. Hindsight is a great thing. I did almost the same thing he did on Sunday and went out through the grass. It happens and quickly.
I'm sure Mike feels bad for everyone involved, but he shouldn't be beating himself up over it or have anyone think he should be.
BTW my traqmate shows me going in at 85 mph and exiting at 87. no wonder when you do a little bobble bad things happen. Cup cars will be there in a couple weeks, check out their speed.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by klendrum:
Watkins Glen the other view.

It does run on POG with a stock ECU. Consiquenly there were 20 cars with more speed than his.

Ken Lendrum

This appears to insinuate that everyone in front of him was funning hot fuel and a "non stock" ECU. That's not the case. I know of at least three in the top 10 (qualifying and race) including myself that were running 93 and stock ECU's. I also know serveral others were running at least fuel.

Also Mike did nothing wrong in this situation and to insinuate that he made an ill advised move is wrong. As Charlie says he simply "hit" the curb wrong, probably just a matter of inches off the normal line. It happened to me a couple of times over the weekend fortunately with different results. It is unfortunate that 3 cars got torn up but this was not a situation of a low percentage pass or driving over one's abilities and should not be protrayed that way.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think the point that Ken is trying to make is this:

Although racing compels us to take everything to its limits, this is "club" racing and smart people who are at peace with their ego will leave enough margin in their pace-to-talent ratio to ensure that we can all laugh about the race in impound rather than sit in race medical waiting for our family to rush over and see if we're okay.

Mike often has his family at the track too and I'm sure that this was just as upsetting for them.

Maybe all of you guys need to take it down 1/10th of a notch.

-Kyle

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I know of at least three in the top 10 (qualifying and race) including myself that were running 93
All weekend race fuel was POG w/ 10% ethenol purchesed at the WG Citgo for the entire Meathead team!!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

"This ain't Tennis"

--------------------

Rowdy Price

Car #: 51
Year : 94 R
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rowdy Price     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You know Mike was DQ'D for Avoidable contact at the last MARRS race in JUNE RITE. For punting Ken Zalner in T3. He was put on a 2 race probation?? What good is probation in SCCA.

On a side note, HOW many points do you get on your lic. before something ACTUALLY happens??? IN SCCA

I'm glad I picked ITA this year, for the money I would be putting in my crash fund, I have a fast ITA miata & not a scratch on the car ALL YEAR!

--------------------
Brian price ITA #51
http://www.RPPerformanceracing.com
UNLIMITED AUTOBODY & COLLISION.COM PERFORMANCE AUTOWORKS WV.COM
2009 WDCR ITA CHAMPION
2010 WDCR ITA CHAMPION
UNLIMITED RACING

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rowdy,
"not a scratch on the car ALL YEAR!"

Now you've done it.

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rowdy Price:
You know Mike was DQ'D for Avoidable contact at the last MARRS race in JUNE RITE. For punting Ken Zalner in T3. He was put on a 2 race probation?? What good is probation in SCCA.

And what the hell does that have to do with anything. Mike didn't hit anyone. He got loose and "looped" it. Surely you're not going to sit here and say you have never done that.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Neil O Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Neil O   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian,
I was right behind Meat on this one and it was in NO way a bonehead or low percentage move. He just got a little out of shape through the bus stop and spun. We all know that driving these cars fast requires pushing the limit all the time.

The June Marrs incident was far from black and white.

--------------------
SM #06
http://www.columbiatile.com

Adam Figarsky

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

lets even the playing field....everyone to SSM...
-
all are correct in their points...all very strong...this is for fun, it is dangerous, it costs money, and everyone wants to win (even if they dont say it or put themselves in a "good" position)
-
we all say the same things to ourselves everytime we are waiting at grid...drive well, drive safe...you can always get them back in the next corner...drive it on the trailer
-i know this can't always work out as there are outside forces ....but we should always attempt to abide...
-

--------------------
TeamFigMented

2009 NARRC and NYSRRC SSM Champion
2009 SSM NESCCA Enduro Series Champion

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lets clear some air here.

Ken Lendrum and I traded messages. And in no way is he trying to call me out.

Ken wants everyone to take a step back, take a breath and remember we do this for fun.

He was more concerned about the first first incident that collected a number of cars that was avoidable.

We are all glad everyone is doing well, cars can be replaced people cannot.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rowdy Price:

On a side note, HOW many points do you get on your lic. before something ACTUALLY happens??? IN SCCA

I'm glad I picked ITA this year, for the money I would be putting in my crash fund, I have a fast ITA miata & not a scratch on the car ALL YEAR!

Yes, I was on probation. It was served prior to going to the Glen. Before the glen there was not one scratch on my car including the contact with Kenny at MARRS except my rear bumper being worn out by others.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
All weekend race fuel was POG w/ 10% ethenol purchesed at the WG Citgo for the entire Meathead team!!

I thought you guys were full of Sheetz [Big Grin]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Region: WDC/ Houston
Car #: 33
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Weekend Warrior:
"This ain't Tennis"

or golf.

--------------------
Randy Ramos

http://WWW.MeatheadRacing.com

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Holy Cow! Sure glad everyone is OK. I just talked to Meat and he gave me the post-tornado trailer park line... "We're just gonnna rebuild"

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by G. Davis:
quote:

I thought you guys were full of Sheetz [Big Grin]
Glenn is most certainly full of Sheetz.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lance I miss u man!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Lance I miss u man!

Glen
As Scary as you are, you need to make that avitar smaller [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

But then you can't read his hat....

All the more reason [Big Grin]

[ 07-15-2010, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Drago ]

--------------------

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Miss you too Glenn, now make that avatar small!

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: