Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Racing in Austin Tx?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Racing in Austin Tx?
Liz H

Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Liz H     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My fience got a job offer in Austin Tx, and I need to know if there is Spec Miata racing there before we make the decision to move - Help! Anyone know if there is SM in Austin, and who to get in contact with there about racing? I'm currently racing in Waterford, MI.

Thanks,
Liz

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At least you have your priorities straight.

Ain't but two things in Texas. . .

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Texas World Speedway is 2 hours drive from Austin. Driveway and Harris Hill are in the Austin/San Marcos area.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Shine

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shine     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, there are lots of tracks:
MSR Houston
MSR Ft. Worth (Cresson actually)
TWS (College Station)
Driveway Austin (motorsports training)
Harris Hill Road (San Marcos)
Eagles Canyon Raceway (North of Dallas)
Hallet (South Oklahoma)
Grandsport Speedway(Houston area)
Texas Motor Speedway (Ft. Worth) infield of NASCAR Track
and coming soon...F1 track in Austin?

Shine

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Currently 5 tracks within 4 hrs towing of Austin, Hallett is about 8.5 hrs away.
Soon, we can go racing AND sleep in our own beds...
There are about 10ish SM racers in the Austin Metro area and at least 2 worth talking to.
Also, Ed Gilfus at GRE for build/setup/motor/track support. He's on here as Mr. Ed.
We only use the "two things in Texas" line to keep the riffraff out.
Lots of cars to race with here...25 cars is a poorly attended race, and, we get our own run group.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Liz H

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Liz H     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
At least you have your priorities straight.

Ain't but two things in Texas. . .

Liz H

I hope one of the them is racing. . .

Liz H

Thanks for the info everybody!

Can you race year round? Cause in Michigan we have to take a break in the winter. What about cost? Are race entry fees / practice days reasonably priced?

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Racing technically starts in Nov. after the runoffs, off in Dec. for x-mas, then 1 or more per month till June/July break for vacations.
Between SCCA and NASA there are 16 weekends scheduled for 2010, AND 3 LeMons races if that isn't enough.
Race fees are usually $400ish for both days, Friday practice is $150-250 depending on the track.

You can see for yourself here:
http://www.sowdivscca.org/calendar.aspx
http://www.nasatxracing.com/

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hell the first Spec Miata races were in Texas.
Everything is bigger and better in Texas.

Uh....wait a minute.....Memphis has us beat on that bigger part on one thing...aint that right Blake?

I've been punting him square in the junk all day [Big Grin] ask him about Big Meow! [rolling on floor laughin] I'm a regular Ron White today!

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Region: WDC/ Houston
Car #: 33
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by IPRESS:

That's what I've been trying to tell everyone...

--------------------
Randy Ramos

http://WWW.MeatheadRacing.com

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by IPRESS:

Uh....wait a minute.....Memphis has us beat on that bigger part on one thing...aint that right Blake?

I've been punting him square in the junk all day [Big Grin] ask him about Big Meow! [rolling on floor laughin] I'm a regular Ron White today!

LOL, you need to come to the Runoffs

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Mr ED

Region: lonestar
Car #: 11
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr ED     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just look at the old post from the first Runoffs from Topeka...all them Texans up front, oh and Blake in the weeds [Smash]
Bring yourself down here, the competition is good!

Ed

--------------------
Old enough to know better, still young enough not to care!
ww.gilfusracing.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mr ED:
Just look at the old post from the first Runoffs from Topeka...all them Texans up front, oh and Blake in the weeds [Smash]
Bring yourself down here, the competition is good!

Ed

I think he picture your talking about was every Texan in the race was hitting another car, each had a longhorn logo photoshopped on top of the car [Wink] Even Mac had crashed his pit bike that weekend I believe?

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Liz H

What is up with all these country club style race tracks you guys have? Do a lot of the racers have memberships to these?

In Michigan a season of racing only costs $1K (6 races and 4 open track days)!!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Where in Michigan is that?!?

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
SIGN ME UP TOO [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hell it costs Drago a grand a race in trailer tire fixin!

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Liz H

Waterford Hills, it's near Detroit.

http://www.waterfordhills.com/cms/news.php

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Waterfordhills Denny, Waterfordhills.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Liz H:
What is up with all these country club style race tracks you guys have? Do a lot of the racers have memberships to these?

Entry fees here are around $400 for a weekend of racing. Most of that is track rental and medical/disability insurance for the participants.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

The difference is Waterford Hills conducts their own series and is not renting a facility.

Looks like a nice little track but I would get bored running the same track all the time.

Entry fees are only part of racing expense.

Liz H

Yes, Waterford Hills is a private club run mostly by volunteers, and we have our own track - which is why the cost is so low. The $1K covers your entry fees for the season. Guest racers are always welcome though, so if you're ever in Michigan for some reason. . .

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Waterford Hills is hands down the cheapest track time you can get. Guest racer entry fee of $205 for the weekend. Qualify on Saturday morning, club race Sat afternoon, club race Sat morning and a longer feature event on Sunday afternoon. A four session practice day is $100 for guests.

Fun track, but tighter and more narrow than most. 1.5 miles with 14 corners. Take a technical track like Mid Ohio and take 1 mile out of it. Really fun track to drive.

Pit area is a little small and some classes are getting a reputation for damage, but I'm seeing lots of damage lately across the country in SM. I started at Waterford so when I race at some of these other 5 lane wide tracks, I wonder how we still manage to run into each other?

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Liz - sorry to hear that you guys are taking off, I only got to be on track with you once - but... HALLET!!!! I'm jealous you'll be within a days drive of that track... That track is fun!

RE Waterford / Keith's comments. I'd like to clarify that you should take Mid-O, remove all straights and half the track width.... Its hard to get bored on that track, as there is little 'rest' time [Smile]

Everyone else - make the trip up for the last weekend in August. Practice/Qualifying and 3 races for a few benjamins. Maybe we can get our own run-group if enough cars show up. And if a bunch do, we can make a Miata-coral outside of turn 6. Only extra rule is more stingent sound limits, but SD exhaust will generally pass sound there.

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hate to argue Ben, but SD, JD exhaust will not pass at Waterford without 12 plate Supertrapp. Alan, Jeff, and myself know.

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get your Where the Hell is Elroy, Texas? stickers quick!

http://taylorrotorsports.com/component/content/article/51-where-the-hell-is-elroy-texas

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: