Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Huge changes in August Fastrack (Page 0)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 6 1  2  3  4  5  6  next » 

Author Topic: Huge changes in August Fastrack
David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sager:
I've seen a few posts from others that state that front subframes need to be replaced after several years due to wear and tear. If this is true, won't the older NA cars (1.6 and 1.8) need a subframe replacement in the future anyway? If so, doesn't that make the option to install a '99 front subframe in the NA cars (and some other suspension pieces) a much smaller decision and expense?

Sorry Tom [Smile] , you just happened to push me over the top. I'm getting real tired of all these excuses why the 1.6 owner (I know you mentioned the 1.8) should spend his 1.6 money to catch up to the 99's (or in your case the subframes are tired) & spend the 1.6 money to fill the Spec Miata fields.

How about my 1.6 car that has brand new everything under the tub?

Front cross member $340.02

Front control arms $517.98

Front ball joints $136.46

Rear cross member $436.46

Rear control arms $188.92

Bushings, bolts, nuts & more.

Parts alone add up to $1619.84 plus

Now if WE (the 1.6 majotity) were all interested in "the opportunity to complete in a low cost" class why are you all setting on your hands. (Dave Wheeler said with the first round of suspension letters the split was 50-50.) Write a letter requesting that the 1.6 suspension upgrade to the 99/05 suspension be denied/sent to file 13. [help]

Then write a second letter requesting that the 99 plus receives a smaller restrictor. What's a plate cost, $30.00. We all do (should be doing) dyno work. [help]

Both suggested letters above nicely fit the Purpose and Intent of the Spec Miata class. [yep]

The fact that I chose to implement new stuff under my tub was my decision. When people are told by rules that they need to update their suspension that stinks just like the production dog box rule stinks. Constantly spend upgrade money. Constantly changing rules are one of the VERY LARGE pitfalls of the production class. Do WE want to follow that trend? [nope]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave, you said "The fact that I chose to implement new stuff under my tub was my decision."

And the rules still allow you to make decisions. You could leave your original stuff on the car, install new original stuff, install used updated stuff or install new updated stuff. You still get to make that decision.

And why is buying new, old style parts ok, but buying used, new style parts bad?

There will always be those that are willing and able to spend money trying to make it to the front. 1/32 tires, pro engines, freshened engines at mid season, hi dollar fuels, regular allignments, etc. No amount of legal money spent on the car will take a midpacker to the winners circle. A fast driver in a midpack car will beat a midpack driver in a fast car, EVERY TIME.

The suspension upgrade is a small tweak. You guys are getting all excited over a tenth or two of lap time. This class is so close right now that we only need little tweeks, like 2 hp worth of restrictor plate or 20 pounds of lead, or a little extra in the suspension.

The intention of the SMAC is to have the best built 1.6, compete with the best built 1.8, compete with the best built 99+. And I feel this is a little step in that direction.

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave, Tom, Mike, Drago, and all the other members that devote your time to the health of our class.....

I dont know how you do it!!!!!!!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

JMorris

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JMorris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
you just happened to push me over the top. I'm getting real tired of all these excuses why the 1.6 owner (I know you mentioned the 1.8) should spend his 1.6 money to catch up to the 99's

[nope] [/QB]

That's fair, you have been driving everyone else over the edge with your posts as well. We are equally tired of reading such posts.

You say the 1.6 needs help at "Road America".Well frankly, 85% of the class doesnt even race at there! Maybe it needs help, maybe it doesn't need help at a few tracks in the country. But it certainly isn't what you claim. Most seem to agree that the cars are close, very close.

The 1.6 torque deficit is made up by the HP advantage by weight. Data reports, statements from other 1.6 drivers, nothing seems to matter to you other than wins at Road America. There is far more to that argument than just 1.6/1.8 and 99. Many believe the class is closer now than it has ever been, myself included. It is clear you are motivated by nothing more than the 1.6 in your garage. Your concerns are that of a selfish man, no more, no less.

You say the suspension makes no difference, simple solution DONT RUN it. Yes I have read your production rant. I would like the suspension on my car. The only thing you bought that you would need to replace is the front sub frame.

No idea if I speak for anyone else, but your negative attitude and constant complaining is a not helping anyone.

Is there an ignore button on this site?
J`

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sager:
I've seen a few posts from others that state that front subframes need to be replaced after several years due to wear and tear. If this is true, won't the older NA cars (1.6 and 1.8) need a subframe replacement in the future anyway? If so, doesn't that make the option to install a '99 front subframe in the NA cars (and some other suspension pieces) a much smaller decision and expense?

Sorry Tom [Smile] , you just happened to push me over the top. I'm getting real tired of all these excuses why the 1.6 owner (I know you mentioned the 1.8) should spend his 1.6 money to catch up to the 99's (or in your case the subframes are tired) & spend the 1.6 money to fill the Spec Miata fields.

How about my 1.6 car that has brand new everything under the tub?

Now if WE (the 1.6 majotity) were all interested in "the opportunity to complete in a low cost" class why are you all setting on your hands. (Dave Wheeler said with the first round of suspension letters the split was 50-50.) Write a letter requesting that the 1.6 suspension upgrade to the 99/05 suspension be denied/sent to file 13. [help]

Then write a second letter requesting that the 99 plus receives a smaller restrictor. What's a plate cost, $30.00. We all do (should be doing) dyno work. [help]

Both suggested letters above nicely fit the Purpose and Intent of the Spec Miata class. [yep]

The fact that I chose to implement new stuff under my tub was my decision. When people are told by rules that they need to update their suspension that stinks just like the production dog box rule stinks. Constantly spend upgrade money. Constantly changing rules are one of the VERY LARGE pitfalls of the production class. Do WE want to follow that trend? [nope]

Dave, you know I love ya, but you didn't answer my question. I wanted to know if replacing the subframe was a typical maintenance item. The rule proposed is for the "optional" use of the newer subframe and suspension parts. That doesn't cost anyone a nickel who is on a more limited budget and it sounds like the performance gain is minimal.

I'm sensative to the budget concern, but the fact is we have 3 (or 4 if you include '01+) renditions of cars to be equalized and changes over time that make the cars more similar are good in my book. Since I've been around SM ('07) the rule changes have been generally low cost and have not caused 1.6 owners in particular to spend any money. The newly proposed rules still don't require 1.6 owners (or 1.8 or '99 owners) to spend a dime, nor do they dictate a timeframe in which updates must be done.

If a new rule was proposed to give the 1.6 more torque as you have opined, would you be opposed to spending more money on that?

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Dave, Tom, Mike, Drago, and all the other members that devote your time to the health of our class.....

I don't know how you do it!!!!!!!

Obviously they are not quitters, and I'm very grateful for that!!! I know it's hard and sometimes some folks go overboard on their comments, but if there's one thing we all agree upon, it's the best class in amateur racing and we are all passionate about keeping it that way.

Please carry on, I'm listening intently!

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:

I don't know how you do it!!!!!!!

Obviously they are not quitters, and I'm very grateful for that!!! I know it's hard and sometimes some folks go overboard on their comments, but if there's one thing we all agree upon, it's the best class in amateur racing and we are all passionate about keeping it that way.

Please carry on, I'm listening intently!

-bw

Nicely said Danny and Bruce.

Craig J

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***You guys are getting all excited over a tenth or two of lap time. This class is so close right now that we only need little tweeks, like 2 hp worth of restrictor plate or 20 pounds of lead, or a little extra in the suspension.***

Dave/SMAC, then why not do one of your metioned little economical tweeks. I would like your definition of the word close vs. what's not close. A restrictor plate is about as economical as it gets.

See the local guys at the Farm in a couple weeks.

J~, there were seven CenDiv sanction races at Road America this year plus the Runoffs. How about a different parity maker for Road America? Ya, a different parity maker would be new & different. & you have never heard me claim that parity is not ok at other tracks. Also you might want to read a little closer to the general consensus when top shoe current or past 1.6 drivers talk about Road America.

Am I remembering correctly that Drago came close to getting linched when this 1.6 suspension upgrade was thrown out on this site the first time. [Wink]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In general I hope the changes will be approved. I believe the suspension changes will make 90's a little more similar to the 99 and the weight will make them a little more competitive. The suggested changes to the 99 FPR and timing removes the raging debate about ECU's (albeit Kent has a point about the ambiguity of specifying a stock FPR which has no adjustment point). Clearly there are strong opinions by some about spending any money on their 90's however others with 90's who see this as appropriate.

I have a 99 so one would think that I would like the status quo but the reality is I would prefer to race with guys who have cars with similar handling, weight and power/torque.

On the subject of torque, there are perennial forum suggestions to slow the 99 down by adding weight and/or reducing the restrictor plate size. I would have thought by now that it was well understood that adding weight would only further increase the disparity between the handling of the cars. Reducing the restrictor plate size will certainly reduce peak power, but does less (or nothing) to compromise lower rev torque, which is the complaint that 90 drivers have about 99 cars. Hence this is not a useful path. As a 99 driver I would be very supportive of a change which drops torque and power while concurrently reducing weight. I periodically remove the weight from my car to run track days and it's a massive increase in fun factor - for which I am happy to give up some power/torque. No doubt this is fraught with challenges, but a long term goal of cars with similar or identical suspension and similar weight and power/torque is a worthy goal.

Craig J

JMorris

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JMorris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
J~, there were seven CenDiv sanction races at Road America this year plus the Runoffs. How about a different parity maker for Road America? Ya, a different parity maker would be new & different. & you have never heard me claim that parity is not ok at other tracks. Also you might want to read a little closer to the general consensus when top shoe current or past 1.6 drivers talk about Road America.

Again, Who cares? You and apparently three or four other guys on this forum? If the cars are close everywhere else as many have stated, 1.6 owners as well. Road America is not really a concern for 85% of the class, sorry it just isn't that important, nor can you adjust parity at one track. Single track adjustments is stupidity! Apparently since that is your home track and you have a 1.6, the rest of the class has to change to make you happy? Why?

If national guys want to compete and win the Runoffs, great. They should build whatever car they believe holds and advantage at that particular track. It seems they have done that, most build 99's at Road America and 1.6 cars for Miller. Problem solved and it doesn't cost me any grief either way. This only applies to 10-12 guys in the entire class in the first place.

As I have asked before and you conveniently did not answer...

If Mr Weise was as fast as some of the best 99's in the country on the mid straight( his words), faster on the back straight(his words) and you want them the same on the front straight and lighter by 125 and 175 lbs, where do the 1.8's have an advantage that would enable them to compete? Or is that your point? Are you really that obtuse or just that desperate in seeking help for your particular car?

As I said before, your motives are based solely on what you have in the garage. Pathetic, yet you chastise the volunteers relentlessly.
J~

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Am I remembering correctly that Drago came close to getting linched when this 1.6 suspension upgrade was thrown out on this site the first time. [Wink]

Not the first or last time this will happen over the next 16 months... [Roll Eyes]
Sincerely,
Giles Corey ( not to be confused with Gayle Corley) [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

dp35 Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 51
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dp35     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cnj:
In general I hope the changes will be approved. I believe the suspension changes will make 90's a little more similar to the 99 and the weight will make them a little more competitive. The suggested changes to the 99 FPR and timing removes the raging debate about ECU's (albeit Kent has a point about the ambiguity of specifying a stock FPR which has no adjustment point). Clearly there are strong opinions by some about spending any money on their 90's however others with 90's who see this as appropriate.

I have a 99 so one would think that I would like the status quo but the reality is I would prefer to race with guys who have cars with similar handling, weight and power/torque.

On the subject of torque, there are perennial forum suggestions to slow the 99 down by adding weight and/or reducing the restrictor plate size. I would have thought by now that it was well understood that adding weight would only further increase the disparity between the handling of the cars. Reducing the restrictor plate size will certainly reduce peak power, but does less (or nothing) to compromise lower rev torque, which is the complaint that 90 drivers have about 99 cars. Hence this is not a useful path. As a 99 driver I would be very supportive of a change which drops torque and power while concurrently reducing weight. I periodically remove the weight from my car to run track days and it's a massive increase in fun factor - for which I am happy to give up some power/torque. No doubt this is fraught with challenges, but a long term goal of cars with similar or identical suspension and similar weight and power/torque is a worthy goal.

Craig J

This 1.6 racer couldn't agree more with your last paragraph, yet I disagree with your first 2 lines.

I see the proposed rule changes increasing the disimilarities of the 1.6 & '99, giving one or the other an unfair advantage at every track. IMO this is the opposite of what needs to be done.

--------------------
2010 SCCA Regional Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E1 Class winner, MX-5 Cup

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

***Single track adjustments is stupidity!***

Progresive forward thinking by you.

***Giles Corey ***

You been saving rocks?

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a 1.6 and I am for the suspension upgrades, all cars with the same suspension is a good thing and it'll be closer to spec. Also think of how easy it would be to find parts if you damaged your suspension at the track. Someone would most likely have the part you need no matter what year car you have.

I'm an idiot but this makes sense to me.
Get all cars on the same suspension then allow 1.6's to put 1.8's in then you could have a spec class all the same weight and no restrictor's.

So if your going to bitch about parity and bitch about the proposed rule changes please get off the internet i'm tired of hearing you complain.

How about DDSM as a class?

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a top 1.6L and a '99. I am registered for the runoffs in my 1.6L. I don't care/or think we need to upgrade the suspension. My 1.6L car will currently outhandle any '99 in the country through the corners, including my own that finished on the podium at the runoffs last year.

I have said it once and I will say it again. The issue is not handling, so the suspension upgrades only cost me $$$ as a front runner so that I may be a little (a tenth or two faster) through the turns only to be slowed up more by the '99 and be left on the straights.

Torque is the big issue and to a lesser extent power. My vote is for a RP change on the '99, and if it is a 4-5 hp hit on the current '99 platform lowering the weight to adjust.

You could also play with what Brian Cates suggested with exhaust diameters, but you would need an unbiased test session and I am skeptical that would happen to get the numbers close.

A more expensive option would be to bring back the aluminum clutch for the 1.6L cars to help with torque, but that's a $1000 option.

Again, do not give me handling as I already have that advantage in my 1.6L. I NEED TORQUE.

Mat

JMorris

quote:
***Single track adjustments is stupidity!***

Progresive forward thinking by you.

Still no answer? Your true motives are becoming increasingly more apparent.
Seems with all your progressive( it has two s's by the way) thinking you could answer such an easy question?
J~

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The suspension changes were not offered as a competition adjustment intended to speed up the 1.6 cars. These are on 1.8 cars as well. Whether you agree or disgaree, it is the opinion of the SMAC and the CRB that the cars are closer than ever and little to no change was needed. WE DID NOT TRY TO IMPROVE ANY CAR OTHER THAN NA 1.8 car with this years changes. The NA 1.8 was the only car showing it needed a little help when looking over the data and data report. No other car demonstrated a change was needed.
The purpose of allowing the suspension change was to get the cars closer to spec. A side benefit is it allows those that wanted the ability to do away with bump steer issues a legal way to do so and change to a better suspension set up over time as pieces were damaged etc. If 1.6/1.8 drivers feel they don't want or need the changes, by all means, don't bother. But why bother those who choose to change? The production argument doesn't hold water IMO, different animals.
There are no other changes coming this year, as I said, any rules changes at this point would be effective 1/1/12
Don't shoot the messenger
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Rooster Tail Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
around

Region: SJR
Car #: 52
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rooster Tail     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No one has yet answered the obvious question: Why not make the 99's run the early subframes, uprights, and control arms? You still get everyone on the same equipment and handling. AND fewer people have to shell out the bucks to do it. It is obviously the right way to go.

Many people argued till we were blue in the face that the 99 was an overdog and shouldn't be allowed in SM. We were told that it won't be, we'll restrict it "make it breathe through a straw" was a common reply. We'll weigh it down. It was argued that it wouldn't work, it wouldn't be enough. You did it anyway. It is apparent that the CRB/SM adhoc created this problem and now is expecting the vast majority of the class (NA) to fix it with their dollars.

--------------------
-Tosh Desai
2008 NJRRS SM Champion

"Well, you know, because Thunder always comes after... Lightning!"

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
The suspension changes were not offered as a competition adjustment intended to speed up the 1.6 cars. These are on 1.8 cars as well. Whether you agree or disgaree, it is the opinion of the SMAC and the CRB that the cars are closer than ever and little to no change was needed. WE DID NOT TRY TO IMPROVE ANY CAR OTHER THAN NA 1.8 car with this years changes. The NA 1.8 was the only car showing it needed a little help when looking over the data and data report. No other car demonstrated a change was needed.
The purpose of allowing the suspension change was to get the cars closer to spec. A side benefit is it allows those that wanted the ability to do away with bump steer issues a legal way to do so and change to a better suspension set up over time as pieces were damaged etc. If 1.6/1.8 drivers feel they don't want or need the changes, by all means, don't bother. But why bother those who choose to change? The production argument doesn't hold water IMO, different animals.
There are no other changes coming this year, as I said, any rules changes at this point would be effective 1/1/12
Don't shoot the messenger
Jim

Drago thanks for all the effort you and the others put into making our class the best in SCCA. I do share you assessment that the cars are very close and believe that any car has a shot at winning.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
Drago thanks for all the effort you and the others put into making our class the best in SCCA. I do share you assessment that the cars are very close and believe that any car has a shot at winning.

+1 - we're arguing over inches, not yards. Although you wouldn't know it from this site, we are a lucky class!

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

mat pombo Verified Driver

Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The SMAC and CRB members always have our interests in mind and we should all tell them thanks more often. They are volunteers and we should remember that. Thanks guys.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mat pombo:
I have a top 1.6L and a '99. I am registered for the runoffs in my 1.6L. I don't care/or think we need to upgrade the suspension. My 1.6L car will currently outhandle any '99 in the country through the corners, including my own that finished on the podium at the runoffs last year.

I have said it once and I will say it again. The issue is not handling, so the suspension upgrades only cost me $$$ as a front runner so that I may be a little (a tenth or two faster) through the turns only to be slowed up more by the '99 and be left on the straights.

Torque is the big issue and to a lesser extent power. My vote is for a RP change on the '99, and if it is a 4-5 hp hit on the current '99 platform lowering the weight to adjust.

You could also play with what Brian Cates suggested with exhaust diameters, but you would need an unbiased test session and I am skeptical that would happen to get the numbers close.

A more expensive option would be to bring back the aluminum clutch for the 1.6L cars to help with torque, but that's a $1000 option.

Again, do not give me handling as I already have that advantage in my 1.6L. I NEED TORQUE.

Mat

Careful, Mat. This kind of statement will get you PM's from certain 99 fans saying you are 'good for a laugh'.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

cam Verified Driver
Cheap member

Region: southwest
Car #: 14
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cam   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The suspension changes as proposed would be optional. If you believe that the perceived benefit is not justified by the cost, then apply your resources to something else. As for me, Iím looking forward to the change and am thankful to the SMAC and CRB to getting the cars so close. We are slowly and painfully becoming a real Spec class which is a good thing.

--------------------
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money."
~Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
~Thomas Jefferson

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can completely see why the 1.6 guys are up in arms and if I still had my SM I'd be pissed right now.

1. 1.6 can currently outhandle any other car.
2. '99+ can outdrag any other car.

So in response to this the '99 gets more legal power and the 1.6 gets "optional" handling tweaks.

WHAT?

The vast majority of this class run 1.6's, they are the core of the class. Any performance adjustments should be made to the 1.6 baseline. So slow the '99+ cars down. It's not that hard. $25 part. Why is this not happening? It makes NO sense to me.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Dahl:

I'm an idiot but this makes sense to me.
Get all cars on the same suspension then allow 1.6's to put 1.8's in then you could have a spec class all the same weight and no restrictor's.

The NA 1.8 and the NB 1.8 are not the same -- All NA car would need to update to the NB 1.8 to have the same weight and no plate. Or better yet let make the '01 the required motor then all but 12 guys would need to change. [Smile]

Then we would only have the NB tub stiffness to fight about. What fun would that be. [Smile]

Also I think we would have about half the number of car racing

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rooster Tail:
No one has yet answered the obvious question: Why not make the 99's run the early subframes, uprights, and control arms? You still get everyone on the same equipment and handling. AND fewer people have to shell out the bucks to do it. It is obviously the right way to go.

Many people argued till we were blue in the face that the 99 was an overdog and shouldn't be allowed in SM. We were told that it won't be, we'll restrict it "make it breathe through a straw" was a common reply. We'll weigh it down. It was argued that it wouldn't work, it wouldn't be enough. You did it anyway. It is apparent that the CRB/SM adhoc created this problem and now is expecting the vast majority of the class (NA) to fix it with their dollars.

Didnít you see Ė cars are competitive as classed, Thank you for your input. [Smile]

--------------------

quote:

Mat

I know where I am taking the 10 pounds off my car [Smile]

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Colin MacLean:
I can completely see why the 1.6 guys are up in arms and if I still had my SM I'd be pissed right now.

1. 1.6 can currently outhandle any other car.
2. '99+ can outdrag any other car.

So in response to this the '99 gets more legal power and the 1.6 gets "optional" handling tweaks.

WHAT?

The vast majority of this class run 1.6's, they are the core of the class. Any performance adjustments should be made to the 1.6 baseline. So slow the '99+ cars down. It's not that hard. $25 part. Why is this not happening? It makes NO sense to me.

+1 well said

--------------------

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
quote:

Mat

I know where I am taking the 10 pounds off my car [Smile]
I think I still have my lighweight clutch PLUS I might be able to dig up a flywheel. [Big Grin]

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA