Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » SM5, the birth of a class!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SM5, the birth of a class!
JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was ten years ago this November that Spec Miata made its American Road Race of Champions (ARRC) debut. With 13 cars on hand, no national rule set and a subsequent "Coming of Age" Grassroots feature article, a class was born. We did not have many past champions in that first race but everyone there knew something special was happening. I've won three SM ARRC sprint races and 2 SM Enduro races in the past ten years. I cherish those wins and the fun the ARRC provides with my friends above all other races I've won. It is truly a special event full of SM history and irony.

ARRC IS DOING IT AGAIN ON THIS TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF SPEC MIATA!!

With SM5 (2006-2010 MX5 Spec Class) on the eve of its launch in NASA and SCCA, the organizers of the ARRC have again invited a new Spec class to participate in this historic event.

The big difference this time will be the number of cars built for MX5-Cup that are able to race, the large pool of interested parties and the presence of Miata Champions available to contest this event (Sprint and Enduro).

I'M CALLING YOU OUT!!
  • Tom Long
  • Niki Coello
  • Chip Herr
  • Jason Saini
  • Andrew Caddell
  • Eric Foss
  • Todd Lamb
  • Brad Rampleberg
  • SM ARRC Winners
  • SM NASA and SCCA Champions
  • MX5 inspired pro racers
  • And anyone wanting to find out what they are made of.

I was there for ARRC SM #1, don't miss your chance to be part of ARRC SM5 #1.

Get a car, enter, be part of history!

Visit http://www.MX5CUP.com soon for everything regarding 2006+ MX5 racing.

quote:
Group 1 – ITA, split start for ITC & ITT

Group 2 – SMX & SM5, split start for SP2 & SP3 (the 944 Cup classes)

Group 3 – ITR & ITS, split start for IT7 & ITB

Group 4 – SM, SM2, SSM (no splits)

All those groups will race before lunch on Saturday and will use the Club Paddock, Grid, Pit Road, and Impound.

Group 5 – small formula cars: CF, F6, FFX, FST + F5, FF, FV

Group 6 – Ground Pounders: GTA, SPO + GT-1

Group 7 – Wings & Things: ASR, CFC, FS + CSR, DSR, FA, FB, FC, FE, FM, S2

Group 8 – “Medium” fendered cars: ITO, TCC + AS, GT-2, SSB, SSC, ST, STO, STU, T-1, T-2, T-3

Group 9 – “Small” fendered cars: SPU + GT-3, GTL, EP, FP, HP, possible split start for SRF (depending on car counts)

Groups 5-9 will race after lunch on Saturday and will use the Infield Paddock, Grid, Pit Road, and Impound.

I don’t know how many SMX-SM or ITA/SM double-dippers we’ll have, but I tried to make it as easy on them as possible. The SM5 cars (and some others?) could also run in STU if they were so inclined.

Pretty much any class that normally runs on DOT tires will be eligible to run the Three Hour (which WILL be part of the 2011 ECR Series) on Sunday afternoon.

We also added the “ITX” (eXhibition) class to the Pro-IT series earlier this year, so SM5 and SMX cars could run there but would not be eligible for Pro-IT points or prize money.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

breathesfire Verified Driver
flirting with disaster

Region: South Jersey
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for breathesfire     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM5 class winner will recieve a free cheater ECU!

-Pete Maerz

Site Founder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

He / She will already have one.

Nice satiric post.

Nice avatar..... Cheater speeding..... [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Site Founder

Side note:

SM5 rules we did includes a spec flash locked in place, the class is an upgrade to SM in that regard.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Site Founder

Smack:

Blake wins on track, Drago crashes, I win in the tech shed due to an illegal light bulb on Blake's car.

Assuming most pro cars will be on hand, who is your top 10 pick??

JDs top10:

Ara
Mark Pombo
Mat Pombo
Brad R
Todd L
ME FIG
Saini
Foss
Evans
Justin P

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
Side note:

SM5 rules we did includes a spec flash locked in place, the class is an upgrade to SM in that regard.

Something we could have had.

--------------------

Brian Cates

Region: Washington, DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't forget Dean Copeland [Wink]

So will this class race with or without the funny gas?

R Hale Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 21
Year : 2008-1995 - 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for R Hale   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have rental MX5 cup cars, who's in?

--------------------
Randy Hale
Hale Motorsports
Team Patron

racerfink Verified Driver
Gig 'em Aggies

Region: Central Florida Region
Car #: 111
Year : '90 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racerfink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Randy Pobst better be in one of those.

--------------------
'90 Spec Miata
'90 Street Miata
'96 Chevy 1500
http://www.AutoTechnikRacing.com
www.myspace.com/projecthband

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, what's the word on the transmission failure rate with these cars? Word around the paddock is that the trannys are a bit fragile.

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

September Fast track........
Add 25# to SM5
Smaller restrictor
All car may update to 2011 suspension......
No Wait.....they don't have rules yet....... [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Jerry

Niklas Falk

Region: Sweden
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Niklas Falk   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
All car may update to 2011 suspension......

You mean the 2009 Suspension, the front Subframe (changed roll center at least) was changed IIRC, so was the crank... [Smile]
But when you start fresh(er) you can show up front that the latest and greatest will be used, to soften the blow when you are "forced" to upgrade when it's not a good time for you.

Site Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Colangelo:
So, what's the word on the transmission failure rate with these cars? Word around the paddock is that the trannys are a bit fragile.

They were but fixed years ago. Can fix the old box or use the new style tranny. Tim Buck can explain more but not a issue. Much like the rear end issue on the 1.6s back in the day, old problems long gone....

Fuel is fuel Cates, it knows no class differences.... [Wink]

Update backdate from day one is my thought but that will surely be debated to death as the class gets going.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

R Hale Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 21
Year : 2008-1995 - 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for R Hale   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

six speed gear box is just fine with the 2009 updates ( bigger 3/4 shift hub and fork ).

--------------------
Randy Hale
Hale Motorsports
Team Patron

Future Never Has Been

... racing improves the breed.

--------------------

Dave Metz

Region: OVR
Car #: TBD
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Metz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So if they spin off this new group, what's it going to do to SM? I was planning on starting to build a 99 and don't want to get stuck if everyone starts bailing for SM5.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave it will take a while to get the numbers SM has and it will cost more. I'd love to race those cars, they are awesome sounding and way faster, but I think it will be at least 3 years before we see the participation numbers reach critical mass and that depends a lot on cost containment. Just my opinion.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Thomas Neel

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Thomas Neel   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim,
Will the engines have to be sealed from mazda such as in the Playboy cup series or can we run original engines from the donor cars? This new class really has my attention and donor cars are starting to come down in price.

--------------------
Tom Neel
PartsGroup/Neo Racing
http://www.Partsgroup.com

Future Never Has Been

Yes, you can get a built MX5 cup car for about the same money as a 99 SM now!

--------------------

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or a pro built early 1.8 or 1.6?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Future Never Has Been

Yep... the costs are getting closer.

--------------------

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The http://www.mx5cup.com domain name is active. SM5 Rules are available for download.

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy
http://memphispcguy.com
http://www.mazdaracers.com

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First of all read the latest fastrack. All new classes if approved are going to start as regional classes and then if.....and only if they show solid growth will they become a national class. This is an idea that Jim Daniels has put some time and effort into flushing out, but it is a long way from becoming a reality.

--------------------
Paul McLester

omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As someone who just purchased a pro raced MX5 cup car, the price has to come down for the class to enlarge. The avg price of a MX5 cup car was mid to upper 20s. If you look at the cars for sale in the spec miata classifieds the avg price is about half that.

Body panels are more expensive, way more and we know how they get treated , the tires they run in the pro series are $220.00 a piece, if that is what would be mandated in this new class. A little more than RA1s.

So with the economy the way it is I agree with Gatoratty, it will be a long time coming, but you have to start some where.

Jason Saini Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Saini   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With all due respect, I would point out that the entry cost of a COMPETITIVE MX-5 Cup car and an COMPETITIVE SM are the same. It's easy to pick up uncompetitive SM's all day long, but the MX-5 Cup formula is way better at ensuring parity, so if your goal is to have a car that you know can run up front, your entry cost for a car is the same either way.

For those who don't really mind, and just want to have fun on the track, the SM is still the better choice!

--------------------
-Jason Saini :: Fort Worth, TX
-Team MER :: 2007 MX-5 Cup Champion
-2008 SPEED TC Rookie of the Year!
-Based at Motorsport Ranch
-Autobarn Mazda . SafeRACER

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: