Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » brake pedal adjustment

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: brake pedal adjustment
Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What's the best way to adjust the brake pedal travel? I want to move it towards me about a 1/2 inch to aid in heel-toe shifting. I have a '95.

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dunno, but are you running Autobahn in a couple of weeks?

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Apex to Apex

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes

--------------------

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Once you're sure the brakes are good and firm and you want to move the brake pedal closer, start bending things or fabbing things. Most people bend the gas pedal. I modified both my brake and gas pedals.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FYI keep a spare gas pedal in the parts box if you "bend it". Recently saw one break at the track and no one had a spare!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Phil Mather Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Insert witty title here...

Region: Detroit
Car #: 06
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Phil Mather   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not sure about a '95, but on a '91 the brake pedal to booster rod is threaded. There is a lock nut the rod. Crawl under the dash and look straight up. Loosen the lock nut, and turn the shaft until the pedal is at the desired height. Then retighten the lock nut. Pretty simple to adjust the height.

Note: Make sure you have new pads and rotors and the rear calipers are adjusted properly. With worn pads, the pedal has excess travel. YMMV.

--------------------
Phil

Support SpecMiata.com-Buy a CG-Lock!

http://www.TeamMatherMotorsport.com/specmiata

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

See you there!

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Apex to Apex

quote:
Originally posted by Phil Mather:
Not sure about a '95, but on a '91 the brake pedal to booster rod is threaded. There is a lock nut the rod. Crawl under the dash and look straight up. Loosen the lock nut, and turn the shaft until the pedal is at the desired height. Then retighten the lock nut. Pretty simple to adjust the height.

Note: Make sure you have new pads and rotors and the rear calipers are adjusted properly. With worn pads, the pedal has excess travel. YMMV.

Yea, one of the NASA instuctors said something similar, yet this weekend I crawled up underneath there (man I hate dashboard work) and I saw no way to modify it, so you're right, maybe it's just on 90's and 91's.

I installed brand new Hawk pads at the start of this season.

Thanks for the help.

--------------------

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My 96 has the threaded rod on it with the adjuster nut as well. Nut is a 14MM.

Niklas Falk

Region: Sweden
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Niklas Falk   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, this is over five years old but the pictures are in color [Big Grin]
http://www.miataklubben.se/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17318
The two first pictures shows the clutch,
and the third and last picture show the brake pedal adjustment on my 2003 (with the 15/16" MC).
Some cloth around the MC piston and pliers made it possible to move the pedal (the pedal upper stop was moved accordingly).

I know that my 99 looks similar and I can't imagine that there would be no adjustment at all on some years?

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thinking your barking up the wrong tree. I've been around a while, built a few cars and helped work on many more. I've never seen anyone try to solve the pedal position problem playing with the brake pedal. Just start bending the throttle pedal around until your satisfied. Make sure you still have full throttle ability when your done though [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I adjusted the heck out of the brake pedal on my '95. It got the height all the way to that last 1/2" from where I'd want it.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just added some extra metal to the top of the bk pedal it worker for me put about 1/2 inch did the trick for me, I like to roll my foot to the pedal. a friend of mine who puts his heal on the gas bent the brake and gas in towards each other.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

the loud pedal from iron canyon motorsports helped with my set up. i also had to adjust the height where i wanted it to be for the brake pedal. I believe i also had to make sure my brake lights were still activating when i pushed the brake pedal after being adjusted.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: