next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Restarts

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Restarts
CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The field gets whoa'd down by a full course caution. Several corners before the green, the car in front of you is slowing down. Either he's having mechanical issues or he's lagging back so as to get a run on the car in front of him. In my experience he usually times his restart wrong and the car in front pulls away from him and everybody behind the lagger.

If you're the car behind this guy and a gap is being created between his car and the car in front, is it legal to pass this yahoo before the green flag to catch up to the car in front of him, assuming that he's not "maintaining safety car speed?"

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Only if he's having a mechanical issue and pulls over. If he takes the start and it's obvious to the stewards that he doesn't have a problem, you'll get in trouble. Maybe better would be to bump him, just not in front of a flag stand.

I had this problem during an enduro start. An Alfa or Fiat IT car was like 100yards behind the car in front of him. I had the guys behind me wanting me to pass him. He did not have a mechanical, he was just lagging behind. It was one of the most frustrating starts I've ever had. It taught me never to be late to grid (the guys behind me were late too so we started from the back)

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No, but you could give them a subtle 'nudge'.

Very few things make me crazier on track than someone who won't close the gap on starts/restarts.

I feel your pain.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
No, but you could give them a subtle 'nudge'.

Very few things make me crazier on track than someone who won't close the gap on starts/restarts.

I feel your pain.

THE FURTHER BACK HE IS, THE FRIENDLIER THE NUDGE [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What the rules say -

GCR 6.6.2 - Safety car procedures

".....Drivers must make every effort to safely catch the field
to form a single and evenly-spaced line behind the safety car...."

and then

"....A driver of a car that is disabled or cannot keep the pace should not hold
up the field. He must signal that his car is disabled by raising an arm,
pulling to the side of the course, and staying well off the racing line.
Other drivers may safely pass the signaling vehicle. A driver of a disabled
car should seek assistance at the nearest corner station, or pit at the first
opportunity...."

Where does that leave us ? -

Dropping back to get a jump on the green is not allowed, and is protestable by other drivers and official can impose penalties. It IS frustrating as hell (had it happen to me a lot in mixed-class racing), but unless the "slowee" gives the appropriate hand signal, you run the risk of being penalized if you drive around him before the green comes out.

A nudge from behind ? Again, the risk is yours...you can be penalized by officials, or protested by the "bumpee".

It's something that is covered at SCCA licensing schools, but it needs to be re-emphasized to all drivers regularly - "Listen, jackass...catch the pack, and keep up with the car in front of you".

If there is a Mr. Slow out there who routinely does the "leave a gap" thing, you should have no problem finding fellow annoyed drivers to fill out witness statements to support your protest of Mr. Slow.

Niklas Falk

Region: Sweden
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Niklas Falk   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Related question;
How should you deal with SC situations during qualifying?

On a small track here a couple of years ago cars got scattered all over the lap to have room to qualify when the green came (it was actually only 3 laps left when the green came).
But the result was cars going "green" caught the cars still running under "yellow".

Maybe a situation you cannot avoid, but interesting example (I have not figured out how to avoid it, formally).

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If there is a full course yellow ("FCY")...when whatever issue created the FCY is cleaned up, the ENTIRE track should go back to green at the same time.

Generally, a safety car is not used during practice or qualifying. If there is an incident requiring a clean-up, the session is black-flagged.

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had this happen where we have many only car in class situations, out with the mixed group that also contains SM.
it was an older guy, who had nobody to race with, so he just lagged back for whatever reason, about 100 yards.
there were quite a few SM cars that i was racing with, but ended up now seprated because of this idiot.
i came up along side of him several times and hand signaled and screamed to close the gap. he did not.
I was furious with the guy.
same guy also was so slow, and he was taking a line that was wide and chopping off the corner entry into the fastest turn, it was very dangerous. when i confronted him, he said word for word;
"maybe YOU are going to fast"
i scratched my head and laughed, and said "i thought that this was a racetrack"

if i could do it over agin i would have prefered a very "gentle nudge", i didnt think of that at the time, but will remember it.
i think the guy sold his car, advertised it as a class championship winning car that won 3 years in a row. he forgot to mention that he never had any other cars in his class in the ad.

[ 09-11-2010, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: fishguyaz ]

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think that guy drives in every region in the country.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think giving them a nudge or pull up to his door and give him a visual sign that gets his ass in gear. All you can do is put pressure on him any way you can without passing, Or do like some guys do and pass on a yellow and take your chances.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've heard a Competition Director suggest what the OP suggested--treat him as a mechanical. Of course the CD didn't say how he'd actually rule!

If it was 100 yards and he didn't respond to the nudge, I'd pass him.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
I think that guy drives in every region in the country.

[Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: